U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:47 PM

296 posts, read 529,740 times

Advertisements

I find myself taking the train more often due to less security, lower prices, and less hassle. Are any of you big train riders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 11:50 PM

38,894 posts, read 20,185,025 times
There are many folks that prefer train travel to plane to avoid the hassles with security checks at the airport, which I can fully understand especially if they are subjected to the pat downs. There are even folks who are afraid of flying so the train is their only option. I commute via train to and from work so when it's time to travel, I prefer to fly. Yes, security is a big hassle but I got the whole routine down pat. I've looked into train tickets as an alternative and have always found that was far cheaper to fly. Unless the train ride was 3 hours or less, I prefer to fly as I don't wish to waste my valuable vacation time on a train when I ride the train regularly.

Last edited by Chatteress; 06-25-2012 at 12:22 AM..

Old 06-24-2012, 11:59 PM

5,604 posts, read 3,937,390 times
I fly because it gets you there faster.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:38 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,101,164 times
I live in Connecticut and generally only take the train when going to NYC (local trains, not Amtrak- MTA Metro North). I travel quite a bit for work between Connecticut and DC where Amtrak has frequent routes in the northeast corridor. They are consistently more expensive than flying. Between being more expensive and taking longer, flying always wins. Just last week I was looking into going to Philly, another easy Amtrak trip. Once again, it is cheaper to fly (or even drive), so my company puts me on a plane.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,658 posts, read 40,029,981 times
I find Commuting to Asia Difficult by train, but once I'm there I use the trains a lot. I certainly DO NOT feel safer on a train (in Asia or USA). Europe I feel Pretty safe, as they are more train centric.

Cost is VERY high on trains compared to low cost airlines around the world. And... if you gotta GET SOMEWHERE FAR... a train can be pretty slow and disruptive. (especially in US, notorious for LATE, VERY Late)

I'll stick with air (tho TAA is an absolute JOKE). Certainly an embarrassment to US Travel, as Public Education is to America's (US) Students.

The Gov gets involved... the efficency and cost go down the tubes. (Healthcare... HORRORS)

Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 AM

8,281 posts, read 11,136,078 times
I take the train every chance I get. Hate flying.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:43 PM

32,119 posts, read 33,030,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I live in Connecticut and generally only take the train when going to NYC (local trains, not Amtrak- MTA Metro North). I travel quite a bit for work between Connecticut and DC where Amtrak has frequent routes in the northeast corridor. They are consistently more expensive than flying. Between being more expensive and taking longer, flying always wins. Just last week I was looking into going to Philly, another easy Amtrak trip. Once again, it is cheaper to fly (or even drive), so my company puts me on a plane.
In the northeastern part of the USA, taking trains is easier than the rest of the country. When I travel between Connecticut and NYC I often take the bus which tends to be much cheaper than the trains. But within NYC, I tend to take the subway trains which are faster than buses. But if I am going anywhere further than the Greater NYC area (by public transportation) within the USA then it makes sense to fly rather than take a train.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:46 PM

32,119 posts, read 33,030,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I find Commuting to Asia Difficult by train, but once I'm there I use the trains a lot. I certainly DO NOT feel safer on a train (in Asia or USA). Europe I feel Pretty safe, as they are more train centric.
Within China between major cities (where I spent nearly 4 months on assignment) I took the high speed trains which were fast, convenient and cost efficient rather than flying.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:55 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,198,675 times
Unless the train ride is about 3 maybe 4 hours I find flying to be quicker and cheaper. Only times I have taken trains to travel distances was DC-NYC, Overnight in the autotrain and a few places around Europe.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:34 AM

6,936 posts, read 7,267,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
I find myself taking the train more often due to less security, lower prices, and less hassle. Are any of you big train riders?
For me, taking the train isn't convenient and it geneally costs more than flying. And I live in Chicago which is a major hub for Amtrak. And though I'd take the train when traveling in Mexico, passenger service was eliminated 20 years ago. My last trip by rail was on the Empire Builder, from Chicago to Seattle. A wonderful trip.

My trip on the Empire Builder: Travel the world through Webshots photos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or