U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:23 PM

4 posts, read 4,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Rio is definitely worth it. Yes, there's crime and poverty and you do have to take precautions, but it is stunningly beautiful and a lot of fun.
Rio is very overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 12:14 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,046,601 times
Well... if you're interested in both Rio and Buenos Aires, I just found a fare on Expedia for $1013.55 on Sept 17-25 from DFW, which from your profile I assume is your home airport. That's an open jaw Dallas to Rio, then Buenos Aires back to Dallas (one ticket.) You would need to buy a separate ticket from Rio to Buenos Aires though, but I believe those are cheap, and both cities are worth the visit. I did the exact same itinerary a few years ago and had a great time.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:10 AM

889 posts, read 1,014,925 times
You have to look at a comparison of purchasing power. Brazil ranks fairly high on the PPP index, so of course it's not going to be cheap.

Here are some countries that rank extremely low on the PPP index (and thus would likely be extremely cheap to travel in):
Dominican Republic
Guatemala
Ghana
Nicaragua
Jamaica (if you stay away from resorts I guess)
Ukraine
Vietnam
India
Tanzania
Haiti
Rwanda
Bolivia
Seychelles
Mongolia
Cambodia
Laos
Bangladesh
Moldova
Gambia
Iran
Cuba
Georgia
Papua New Guinea
Zimbabwe
Uzbekistan
Nepal
Yemen
Afghanistan

Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 AM

Also keep in mind that if you want to visit Brazil, you have to get an expensive tourist VISA (although it lasts for the duration of your current passport, so you can then go back as many times as you want until your passport expires). I'm going to get a new passport next year to go in 2014, not only for the World Cup, but also so that I'll have the VISA for 9-10 years since my current passport expires in 2013 anyways.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:31 AM

I'm starting to look into Brazil some more. Anyone have recommendations for other areas aside from Rio or Sao Paulo? I'm thinking maybe the Northeast (Recife/Natal area) or the very south (Porto Alegre).

Old 04-28-2013, 09:46 AM

22,667 posts, read 28,685,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I b
I honestly wonder locals survive on like $11,000 a year if Brazil is so expensive. Maybe they haves secret places to get cheap housing/food/etc that tourist might not know about??
They have a different standard of living than you do. You could live on $11,000 a year in the USA, too, if you lived on beans and rice and lived in a shanty with no electricity. No car, no fancy clothes, no eating in restaurants, no electronic gizmos or internet.

To live a middle class American lifestyle in Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, it costs considerably more than it costs to live that lifestyle in the USA. The myth that it is dirt cheap to live in South America is just that: a myth.

Also, the exchange rate has gone against American tourists. It now costs a lot more to purchase foreign currency

Old 04-28-2013, 03:43 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,183,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I been trying to find nice affordable destination that is far off from the USA. And thought I should look into Brazil since I heard a lot about it. Since it is poor compared to 1st world countries, I thought it would be very cheap. Per captia income in Brazil is only $11,769 and Rio De Janerio is US$14,630.

Anyhow, I have been looking at Airfare and Hotel prices in Brazil (Sao Paulo and Rio de Janerio). Looks like the prices more expensive if not save as for Europe. For example, if I used Expedia to price out a Flight + 8 night stay in September with a 4 star hotel, Rio De Janerio costs $2,700 for cheapest one vs. $1,800 for London!

Brazil has some very expensive hotels, especially near the beaches such Copacabana area. I looked around and found some other sites/blog stating how expensive Brazil is, like this one.

Interestingly, I have looked other destinations in South America which are cheaper. Like Argentina with higher GDP per capita ($17,000) turns to have same flight/8 night stay in Buenos Aires starting at $1,700s. Argentina honestly might much better SA travel destination for me than Brazil!

I honestly wonder locals survive on like $11,000 a year if Brazil is so expensive. Maybe they haves secret places to get cheap housing/food/etc that tourist might not know about??
Brazil can be expensive if you want it to be expensive and cheap if you want it to be cheap. I was there the week before Carnival. Our accommodation was 2 blocks from Copacabana Beach. I believe my 5 day trip did not cost me more than $500. Granted, I'm still fairly young and don't feel like shelling out $1k a night for a resort. If you want to have fun there without breaking the bank, it is certainly possible.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:45 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,183,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
I'm starting to look into Brazil some more. Anyone have recommendations for other areas aside from Rio or Sao Paulo? I'm thinking maybe the Northeast (Recife/Natal area) or the very south (Porto Alegre).
I believe staying along the Atlantic coast is the best bet. A buddy of mine had a stop in Brasilia and he found it difficult to stay occupied for a whole day there. That, and he got a massive sunburn.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:32 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,619,366 times
I'm Brazilian and I can say yes Brazil is expensive but worth it. Each part of the country is so different from another. Rio and Sao Paulo are very different from each other.
The Northeast has some of the most beautiful beaches. The very south, where my family is from is also gorgeous. My family is from Porto Alegre and it is a lot of fun but personally, if you are looking for a beach vacation, Northeast is the place to go. It is relatively less expensive than Rio.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:44 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
I thought Rio would be cheap, but when I tried planning a trip out there I couldn't do it with my budget! I couldn't find any hotels that weren't in a Favela for under 80-100, and I had people who live in Rio telling me this stuff.

Colombia was WAY cheaper for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or