Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 04:19 PM

673 posts, read 3,090,892 times

Advertisements

I been trying to find nice affordable destination that is far off from the USA. And thought I should look into Brazil since I heard a lot about it. Since it is poor compared to 1st world countries, I thought it would be very cheap. Per captia income in Brazil is only $11,769 and Rio De Janerio is US$14,630.

Anyhow, I have been looking at Airfare and Hotel prices in Brazil (Sao Paulo and Rio de Janerio). Looks like the prices more expensive if not save as for Europe. For example, if I used Expedia to price out a Flight + 8 night stay in September with a 4 star hotel, Rio De Janerio costs $2,700 for cheapest one vs. $1,800 for London!

Brazil has some very expensive hotels, especially near the beaches such Copacabana area. I looked around and found some other sites/blog stating how expensive Brazil is, like this one.

Interestingly, I have looked other destinations in South America which are cheaper. Like Argentina with higher GDP per capita ($17,000) turns to have same flight/8 night stay in Buenos Aires starting at $1,700s. Argentina honestly might much better SA travel destination for me than Brazil!

I honestly wonder locals survive on like $11,000 a year if Brazil is so expensive. Maybe they haves secret places to get cheap housing/food/etc that tourist might not know about??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 06:56 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
After you've seen one half naked woman in a bikini on a beach...
does seeing 300 more really hold much appeal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I
Interestingly, I have looked other destinations in South America which are cheaper. Like Argentina with higher GDP per capita ($17,000) turns to have same flight/8 night stay in Buenos Aires starting at $1,700s. Argentina honestly might much better SA travel destination for me than Brazil!
Argentina.
Steak dinners and leather goods. Nice architecture too.
Well, Buenos Aries at least.

Madonna - Evita Don't Cry for Me Argentina (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Why would you expect it to be cheap. Like any other tourist destination you have your poor sections and you have your wealthy sections with millions in between. Brazil, Rio is extremly high in popularity and has prices to boot. So you pays for your thrills. BTW they have excellent steaks and beautiful Tango dancers.

Here's an interesting story about some Billionaire Brazillians...
Brazilians snap up South Florida real estate sparking new boom - Rock Center with Brian Williams

Old 06-30-2012, 02:29 AM

327 posts, read 644,426 times
Huh, I remember seeing flights from Chicago, LAX and San Francisco to Rio for like $650 round trip.

Have you tried looking at Airbnb.com and just renting an apartment instead?

Old 06-30-2012, 09:03 AM

4,789 posts, read 10,610,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Why would you expect it to be cheap. Like any other tourist destination you have your poor sections and you have your wealthy sections with millions in between. Brazil, Rio is extremly high in popularity and has prices to boot. ...
I agree...the OP is like wondering 'I thought visiting the US would be cheap because they are in a recovery recession and things should be on sale..." Depends on if one is camping in a state park or visiting NYC, LV, Dallas, et al.

Brazil = big country, and the major pop centers while severely 'stratified' are not necessarily on sale for the events, lodging, and things most tourists would want to see/be a part of.
GL, mD

Old 06-30-2012, 10:07 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,279 times
I agree, why would you expect it to be cheap? Brazil's economy has had no recession, but is booming. Despite poverty, it is by no means a third world country any more.

Argentina is cheaper because their economy has had tough times over the years.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:42 AM

673 posts, read 3,090,892 times
The thing is it cost about same as trip to Europe. In fact, some European places like Barcelona, Spain can be found for cheaper than Brazil. Brazil isn't 3rd world but definitely not 1st world. I have heard of high crime rate and a lot of slums in Rio. I say cleanliness of cities is definitely worse than most of 1st world destinations in Western Europe or maybe even North America.

Honestly, I don't think it is particularly worth it to spend extra money to go to Brazil compared to many of other very nice destinations you can go to instead!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:20 PM

4,789 posts, read 10,610,355 times
I didn't read any posts pumping/pushing you to Brazil...sort of the regular post here that 'wonders', but it wasn't on the poster's serious radar anyway...

Old 06-30-2012, 06:39 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Honestly, I don't think it is particularly worth it to spend extra money to go to Brazil compared to many of other very nice destinations you can go to instead!
Rio is definitely worth it. Yes, there's crime and poverty and you do have to take precautions, but it is stunningly beautiful and a lot of fun.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Brazil should not cost any more than Mexico. If you just want to expose yourself to Brazil and see what it is like, you can do it with safety and comfort on a budget of about US$40 per day. Travel by bus, stay in budget hotels, eat Brazilan style food. If you need to do more than just have the Brazil experience, then you will pay according to your tastes.

In fact, if you have time, you can save the plane fare, and go all the way down there on the bus, you'll just have to pay a couple hundred to fly from Panama to Colombia. Cheap flights from San Jose or Panama to Medellin can be arranged from local airline agents when you get there. Start asking about fares at Guatemala City, you might save some overland travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel