Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 03:21 PM

16,546 posts, read 17,310,562 times

Advertisements

We haven't decided anything as yet but it is an area that I'd like to explore.

I thank everyone for their input and if and when we go I'm sure that we'll be exploring at least some of these places that have been suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 12:47 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,381,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Thanks eureka! Sounds like my kind of place!

BTW, what's Eureka like?

Also I haven't included Oregon in any plans as yet but there's only so much one can properly do in two weeks.
I love Eureka. It's more Oregon then most places in California. It's a town with a historic downtown core, that has been able to spread out a ways. You have a historic ship on the waterfront, and the remains of the old Fort.

On the south side of town are dairy farms, and the Loleta cheese factory to visit.

Arcata on the other side of the bay is a liberal college town. For practical purposes this translates into cheap decent food, and several decent vegan/vegetarian dining options.

I would highly encourage you to budget a day or two to keep going up the coast, up through Oregon and then loop back down to I-5 via Medford.

You have Humboldt Lagoon State Park

The Redwoods, Elk outside of Crescent City (at least every time I drive by,)

Sea Lions and a unique aquarium in Crescent City itself.

You'll take Highway 199/Redwoods Highway east out of Crescent City to Grants Pass Oregon. In Cave Junction is the Oregon Caves, then the Ghost Town of Kerby Oregon where several massacres during the Rogue River Indian Wars happened. You can visit the city of Jacksonville, where the entire town is on the National Historic Register, and two more ghost town, Buncom and Golden (probably my favorite,) not to mention a historic Covered Bridge (and site of still more Indian massacres during the Rogue River Indian Wars.

Don't forget to stop in Ashland for food, it's another fairly liberal city which means more good eating and the Shakespeare Festival . Once over the border I like to explore back roads through that area, especially Route 96 to 263 and Yreka. (accessible via the same exit as the rest stop.) Weed is also a fun town for a few hours.

Granted, this loop could take a week by itself just to see everything properly. But I think it'd be worth your time to at least continue up to Crescent City as that part of the coast is probably one my favorite stretches of road.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the useful comments and the wonderful photos.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:14 PM

4,795 posts, read 12,323,426 times
jezer, just north of San Francisco across the Golden Gate Bridge is Mt Tamalpais state park. It is NOT to be missed. It's one of my favorite places in the whole country. Here are some photos I took when I was there but it really doesn't capture the natural unique beauty of the place. Also check out Point Reyes National Seashore.

IMG_1350 by kanhawk, on Flickr

IMG_1332 by kanhawk, on Flickr

IMG_1345 by kanhawk, on Flickr

Old 07-08-2012, 03:36 PM

I really want to drive that road in a decent automobile!

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:59 PM

4,795 posts, read 12,323,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I really want to drive that road in a decent automobile!

Thanks!
Funny you should mention that. That road is called Ridgecrest Boulevard and many car commercials are filmed there because it is so picturesque with the cars zooming along that road.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:09 PM

243 posts, read 626,057 times
I thought I might mention a few places we went on our honeymoon when we drove from San Francisco to Seattle and stopped all over on the way. One of my favorite lesser known stops was Stinson Beach. We spent an afternoon and evening there on the beach in the rain and it was absolutely gorgeous. We also enjoyed a small cafe in Healdsburg, and the small Northern California town feel there. We had some amazing pizza in either Brookings or Harbor (can't remember which, but it's practically the same place). We enjoyed some great tide pool exploring just north of Brookings. In Oregon, we could have spent two weeks about every beach along the way. Some places we enjoyed were Tillamook (stop at the cheese factory and get some cheese and ice cream), the sea lion caves, and cannon beach in the north. Obviously there are a ton of other places to stop, but these are just a few of my favorites.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:57 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,008,051 times
Some say the coast redwoods have never really been seen until visiting Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park. Said to be the Gemstone of all the coast redwood parks. Between Eureka and Crescent City. The photo below is from Jedediah Smith RSP by Crescent City. And that park too is worth doing together with Prairie Creek.

Some say the coast redwoods have never really been seen until visiting Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park. Said to be the Gemstone of all the coast redwood parks. Between Eureka and Crescent City. The photo below is from Jedediah Smith RSP by Crescent City. And that park too is worth doing together with Prairie Creek.

Attached Thumbnails
Hidden Gems Of Northern California.-sc_tt_640.jpg  

Old 07-11-2012, 11:59 AM

That is absolutely incredible!

Old 12-19-2012, 02:59 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,008,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Eureka at the moment is clouded over, temp is low '60's which is common in the summer. Small city (120,000 in the whole county) and gets better the further away from the freeway you get. Nearby scenery is redwoods and seashores, and if you fish it's supposed to be a terrific salmon season this year. Nowhere near as exciting as Sac but we have something like 20 museums up here, most of them tiny. Economically depressed. six hours from SF if you bomb through, 3 hours from Redding. PM me if you decide to come this way. Have a great trip!
Maybe not as exciting as "Sac", but between the two, I'd take the natural area near Eureka any day. Both locations below should look very familiar. You've probably been by the log area several times.

Attached Thumbnails
Hidden Gems Of Northern California.-jenii_5_600b-wcopy.jpg   Hidden Gems Of Northern California.-a_rdwd_10_600copy.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel