U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 04:18 AM

28,227 posts, read 47,661,386 times

Advertisements

An American Eagle steward confronts angry passengers on-board the plane.

http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/vi...t&VID=23650045
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 10:07 PM

21,380 posts, read 24,159,037 times
The FA was a NYr. What did you expect? People just don't know how little they are paid and he was taking alot of blame for things that were not in his control. The plane couldn't take off due to weather conditions down south. These small planes don't carry enough fuel to just circle around and nearly ran out of fuel sitting on the Tarmac. So they were basically stuck until they could get a new window for takeoff and landing at their destination. I've had numerous times when I've flown into Atlanta and arrived late and they had us sitting on the Tarmac for over an hour. Why? No place to park.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:15 AM

11,952 posts, read 21,581,612 times
I'm not privy to what happened but best guess is they got a reroute due to weather from ATC while taxing out. Legally they didn't have enough fuel to fly that route so they went back to the gate. Due to the amount of time on the ground, and maybe even per their company manuals, they had to get people off (3 hour rule only says "offer to deplane" but American may be more conservative, I don't know) or risk the $30,000 per person fine.

After they refueled and left the gate again it's possible the additional aircraft in front of them, compounded by further deteriorating weather conditions prevented them from leaving yet again, it's nothing you can plan on and yes it sucks, NeilVA is 100% right this guy is getting paid peanuts - $4, maybe $5 per duty hour - and people are pissed rightly so but there is literally nothing that can be done, we are at the mercy of the FAA at that point. If it makes you feel any better the biz jets and CEOs are in the same line...albeit a bit more comfortable.

The FA lost control of the cabin but their employer and the FAA wasn't doing them any favors either.

And FWIW this has been the mildest summer I have experienced as far as weather goes in 7 years, this is an exception to an otherwise great and smooth operating season (so far, seems to be rapidly changing!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or