Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

You wouldn’t believe the appalling things people will do in a Marriott suite.

What is it about hotels that makes us all go so bizarrely and baroquely berserk?

Trashed hotel rooms: The appalling things people do at the world’s finest resorts. - Slate Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 09:17 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Based in my experiences, I find the article to be a lot of untrue drama. I imagine the damage that does occur is fueled by alcohol and/or drugs coupled with what some view as a lack of responsibility that goes along with staying in a hotel room.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:25 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
I've never gone "berserk" in a hotel! And, have never done anything "appalling"!

Old 07-10-2012, 01:30 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Definitely out of my league since we leave the cleanest and most orderly room possible for housekeeping. I don't treat someone else's property any different than if I were in my own home.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Based in my experiences, I find the article to be a lot of untrue drama. I imagine the damage that does occur is fueled by alcohol and/or drugs coupled with what some view as a lack of responsibility that goes along with staying in a hotel room.
Most of these articles are exactly that: filled with untruths or part truths, and the reporters/writers will search and search for the worst situations they can think of. The problem? There are too many people that love to posts this stuff and just as many people or more that believe everything they read..

Old 07-10-2012, 02:58 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Usually when links are posted with wild headlines i usually look over a dozen or so of their other headlines to see how credible the link is,Draw your own conclusions about this one..

Old 07-10-2012, 03:47 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
You wouldn’t believe the appalling things people will do in a Marriott suite.

What is it about hotels that makes us all go so bizarrely and baroquely berserk?

Trashed hotel rooms: The appalling things people do at the world’s finest resorts. - Slate Magazine

Us? All? Who says? I've stayed in hotels and motels and rented condos. Some of them were high end and some not so high. Regardless, I've never destroyed any property, stolen any property, left any property in a less-than-presentable condition.

Perhaps you might look up "hyperbole". Then come back and change the "us all" of which you originally spoke.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:46 PM

102 posts, read 187,896 times
Yes I admit it. I've been a monster! I've eaten on my bed, and left towels on the floor at hotels. shame on me!

Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I worked in the hotel industry for many years and can attest to these things happening.

Since dirty laundry gets the press....I worked in a hotel in Orlando (hotel is long gone now) and we had a group from another country check in. This tour group had been coming for years...very few problems. Three days after this particular group checked in, our housekeeping staff called in sick...every single one. So we asked why. Their reply was that the rooms were so unbearable it was not healthy for them to go in there.
We were sure they weren't serious so we went with the head housekeeper to take a look. You could smell the rooms from the parking lot...seriously! Housekeeping had just cleaned the day before...and we had a great staff.
In the room....rotting food on the floor, feces spread on the walls, mirrors and furniture, urine puddled on the floor. We pulled the tour operator aside and asked why. The response what while they loved Disney, they hated America and this was their way of getting back.
The end result was that housekeeping no longer had to clean their rooms as it was a health risk, the tour group checked out too days early because they couldn't stand their own stench (no refund) and we sued the tour company (and won) for $30,000. The cost of the final clean up.

But the majority of the posters are correct. They are few and far between. 98% of the guests I dealt with were a joy and a pleasure.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:47 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I spend an average of about 100 nights a year in a hotel room, and treat the room like my own home. Have I ever accidently broken something? Sure, accidents happen. (I slipped on a wet bathroom floor and grabbed the towel rack to try to catch myself and pulled it out of the wall once. I offered to pay for it and the hotel said it was OK, it happens.)

I'm also guilty of not realizing my highlighter pen had rolled off the lap desk and was leaving a growing little pink mark on the sheet. (Fortunately it wasn't a permanent highlighter.)

But that same type of thing can happen at home. I've never intentionally damaged a room and try to leave it as clean as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel