U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:22 PM

6,936 posts, read 7,261,443 times

Advertisements

I spent a week or so in Cabarete, Dominican Republic last Winter and it's a destination you might want to consider. I think you can fly Jet Blue into Puerto Plata and from there take a taxi inexpensively to Cabarete, or if you have to fly into Santo Domingo you can easily take an air conditioned bus. Cabarete has a young person's vibe. Good looking people. :-) Lots of Europeans. English widely spoken/understood. Water sports. Good nightlife and restaurants. Lots of hotel/condo choices. Great Winter weather. Sun. Lots of Sun.

Here's a link to an online album of some of the photos I took when in Cabarete:

Travel the world through Webshots photos!

Last edited by gomexico; 07-13-2012 at 09:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 785 times
Question U. S. Virgin Islands

I will be moving to the Islands shortly. I am considering St. Thomas. Any advice or opinions that could help me?

Old 07-04-2013, 07:24 PM

18 posts, read 23,522 times
I would say Cancun BUT, from there, I would take a 1 hr bus to Playa Del Carmen. Cost about $10. Lots of nice shops, great beaches, music and great restaurants. It's very safe to walk around the town very late at night. Lots of vacationers are there. I have been there 3-4 times and really enjoy the area. Good Luck

Old 07-06-2013, 07:56 AM

71,969 posts, read 83,640,243 times
I am smiling and why? you are giving advise to the OP and the posting is a year old. What do you want to bet he/she has already made a decision? Now, if you are just voicing an opinion for those interested I have my idea as well.

Unless you are going to a really top resort in DR, I would not choose that area. There is a reason the prices are so much lower than most islands. Our younger daughter did choose an AI there and had a great time, but they went top of the line, including golf. Our granddaughter and her husband went middle of the road and did not have a good experience. I have had a few clients (back in my travel agent days) who went and would not go again.

Kingston is even worse.

I would probably choose Nassau if we were going to do a land resort vacation. At least given the choices. Cancun would be next. There are other islands I would put way above any that were listed.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:32 PM

15,077 posts, read 19,019,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I found Nassau to be an overpriced cruise ship destination with very little charm. Food there is just as or more expensive than in the States and the quality of the food sucked.

You will find in Mexico, particularly the Mayan Riveria, it is cheap, safe and easy to get around. Rental cars are not overly expensive and the bus system is quite good and very cheap. I think you can take a bus from the Cancun Airport to Playa del Carmen for just a few dollars. If you head away from the big resorts and look for some of the places frequented by the locals you'll find some affordable and very tasty food, too. Taxis around town will generally run you a few bucks max.
I'd agree with the above, adding that I would wipe Jamaica and Santo Domingo off the list entirely. Too much crime, or just simply the perception and feeling of being unsafe, which will ruin a trip.

I'd personally go to San Juan. Really underrated. If anyone wants more of a historical or city atmosphere, that's going to fit the bill. Beautiful beaches just a bus or taxi ride away in the Condado section of SJ. If it's just beaches and bars you are after, my vote is for Cancun (unless you can spring the extra bucks to go to Playa del Carmen).

But, frankly, I might just bag the whole thing and head to Miami - great beaches, food, now a safe place, fun.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'd agree with the above, adding that I would wipe Jamaica and Santo Domingo off the list entirely. Too much crime, or just simply the perception and feeling of being unsafe, which will ruin a trip.

I'd personally go to San Juan. Really underrated. If anyone wants more of a historical or city atmosphere, that's going to fit the bill. Beautiful beaches just a bus or taxi ride away in the Condado section of SJ. If it's just beaches and bars you are after, my vote is for Cancun (unless you can spring the extra bucks to go to Playa del Carmen).

But, frankly, I might just bag the whole thing and head to Miami - great beaches, food, now a safe place, fun.
Our younger daughter decided to do Jamaica a few months ago. They choose a pretty upscale resort outside of Montego Bay. When they decided they wanted some beer they asked resort where to buy it and were told to take a taxi to town: they did, went to pay for a case of beer and the price: are you ready? $65.00. Then to golf, the course was around the corner from the resort but they were told to take a taxi anyway for safety. Long story short: $37.00 for a taxi to go less than one block. We had the same experience on a cruise last year in Ocho Rios. Luckily we didn't fall for any crap.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:39 PM

8,644 posts, read 19,081,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Our younger daughter decided to do Jamaica a few months ago. They choose a pretty upscale resort outside of Montego Bay. When they decided they wanted some beer they asked resort where to buy it and were told to take a taxi to town: they did, went to pay for a case of beer and the price: are you ready? $65.00. Then to golf, the course was around the corner from the resort but they were told to take a taxi anyway for safety. Long story short: $37.00 for a taxi to go less than one block. We had the same experience on a cruise last year in Ocho Rios. Luckily we didn't fall for any crap.

$65 for a case of beer? Really? What grocery store did they go to? Not one of the grocery stores I shop at sell beer for $65 a case. Sounds like they went to a smaller market on the strip where everything is triple the price of the grocery store.

As for the taxi, no one in their right mind would pay that price. If they did, they can only blame themselves. But, considering that the price of gas is roughly $7 USD a gallon...I'm sure they're charging what they can get away with. I don't use a taxi, no need as I have a car

Old 07-07-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
$65 for a case of beer? Really? What grocery store did they go to? Not one of the grocery stores I shop at sell beer for $65 a case. Sounds like they went to a smaller market on the strip where everything is triple the price of the grocery store.

As for the taxi, no one in their right mind would pay that price. If they did, they can only blame themselves. But, considering that the price of gas is roughly $7 USD a gallon...I'm sure they're charging what they can get away with. I don't use a taxi, no need as I have a car
do you live and or shop in Montego Bay? I am guessing not. Believe me, they have traveled more than most of us could ever imagine and they know the Caribbean backwards and forwards. They live in St Martin for 2 years. of course if you live in Kingston or Montego Bay that is different, you are not subject to the rip offs the natives try to pull on tourists.

Of course those prices were out of line, we ran into a similar situation in Ocho Rios, which I have already explained. Our daughter and her partner were faced with a decision when leaving Dunns River falls. When they resisted the offer you can not imagine the verbal abuse they faced. We simply wanted a tube of toothpaste: got off the ship, walked to the little area at the pier and asked about buying some: we were told, they didn't have any but they could take us to town to buy some. The price? I am not certain but it was in the neighborhood of $20.00 taxi fare.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:32 AM

8,644 posts, read 19,081,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
do you live and or shop in Montego Bay? I am guessing not. Believe me, they have traveled more than most of us could ever imagine and they know the Caribbean backwards and forwards. They live in St Martin for 2 years. of course if you live in Kingston or Montego Bay that is different, you are not subject to the rip offs the natives try to pull on tourists.

Of course those prices were out of line, we ran into a similar situation in Ocho Rios, which I have already explained. Our daughter and her partner were faced with a decision when leaving Dunns River falls. When they resisted the offer you can not imagine the verbal abuse they faced. We simply wanted a tube of toothpaste: got off the ship, walked to the little area at the pier and asked about buying some: we were told, they didn't have any but they could take us to town to buy some. The price? I am not certain but it was in the neighborhood of $20.00 taxi fare.

Guess again!

I'm a dual citizen and have been for over 30 yrs. I do know what I'm talking about. I do shop in MoBay on a regular basis. Mega Mart, Hi Lo, Progressive Foods (in Ironshore, but still considered MoBay). Not one of these stores sells beer at that price. I won't buy water on the stripe, it's crazy overpriced.

Why didn't you buy the toothpaste on the ship?

They don't sound like such seasoned Caribbean travelers to me. Common sense is going to tell you that anything you buy in a tourist area (doesn't matter where you're visiting) is going to cost you more than it really should. Ever buy water in Disney?

Old 07-08-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Guess again!

I'm a dual citizen and have been for over 30 yrs. I do know what I'm talking about. I do shop in MoBay on a regular basis. Mega Mart, Hi Lo, Progressive Foods (in Ironshore, but still considered MoBay). Not one of these stores sells beer at that price. I won't buy water on the stripe, it's crazy overpriced.

Why didn't you buy the toothpaste on the ship?

They don't sound like such seasoned Caribbean travelers to me. Common sense is going to tell you that anything you buy in a tourist area (doesn't matter where you're visiting) is going to cost you more than it really should. Ever buy water in Disney?
We did. It was just we had run out, we wanted to get off the ship anyway and we had been to Ocho Rios a couple of other times. There isn't much in the way of tours offered: Dunn's River Falls and the river trip, both we had done. We just thought we would look around a little, stretch our legs and pick up the toothe paste. We are accustom to stores at the piers having those types of items.

Now as for as you living there or having duel citizenship, I understand, but you are not looking at this as tourist would. That is my advise. As a frequent traveler, and a retired travel Agent, I am giving my opinion. I am sorry if I upset you. I realize, apparently Jamaica is your native country, but we have been advised, by two different resorts we have chosen, not to leave the resort without a guide.

BTW, no, not everyplace you visit are things more expensive. and yes, I realize water is another thing that is crazy overpriced, but you certainly have to admit $65.00 for 12 beers in more than overpriced. The kids went to that particular store because it was where the resort suggested they go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or