U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,553,343 times

Advertisements

I believe the bag also has to be able to lie flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 06:38 PM

21,370 posts, read 24,120,799 times
As long as the bag can close, then that is your limit. Also if any of those are liquid medications then they are not limited and do not need to be places in the bag (but you should notify the TSA agent of its existence).

Old 07-16-2012, 12:51 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
The actual size of allowed bottle is 3.4 ounces or 100 ml. The bag doesn't need to lie flat, and it can be as stuffed as you'd like. As long as it will zip closed. And Neil VA got it right, medical items don't count, including contact solution. They can be in larger bottles and don't need to go into the 3-1-1 bag. You should declare them though.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:04 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,928,266 times
I just got back from a trip, it was brief and my little quart bag was not crammed full as it usually is, but still probably did not exactly lie flat. I had it handy at the top of my backpack.
Regardless, as usual, the TSA at JAX did not even ask to see it.

Leaving Denver, I was loading up the plastic tray and the TSA guy next to me announced "Be sure to have your quart bag out for inspection" so I put the bag into the tray. I did not see any other quart bags out (I know my husband did not bother with it), but I was pretty busy dealing with my own stuff.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:03 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,098,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I just got back from a trip, it was brief and my little quart bag was not crammed full as it usually is, but still probably did not exactly lie flat. I had it handy at the top of my backpack.
Regardless, as usual, the TSA at JAX did not even ask to see it.

Leaving Denver, I was loading up the plastic tray and the TSA guy next to me announced "Be sure to have your quart bag out for inspection" so I put the bag into the tray. I did not see any other quart bags out (I know my husband did not bother with it), but I was pretty busy dealing with my own stuff.
Every airport is different and TSA has zero consistency when it comes to rules. Some airports want your shoes in a bin and not on the belt, other TSA agents yell "DON'T PUT YOUR SHOES IN THE BIN!!!!" Some ask for your quart sized bag, some don't. Do the rest of the flying public a favor and have your quart bag in hand and shoes off by the time you get to TSA. It will allow us to all move along more quickly, regardless of the whim of that particular TSA agent or that particular airport's usual procedure.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:48 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,505,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Every airport is different and TSA has zero consistency when it comes to rules. Some airports want your shoes in a bin and not on the belt, other TSA agents yell "DON'T PUT YOUR SHOES IN THE BIN!!!!" Some ask for your quart sized bag, some don't. Do the rest of the flying public a favor and have your quart bag in hand and shoes off by the time you get to TSA. It will allow us to all move along more quickly, regardless of the whim of that particular TSA agent or that particular airport's usual procedure.
No doubt. I just flew thru Honolulu and they didn't want much of anything in the bin - the guy actually yelled at everyone not to put shoes, belts, handbags, etc in the bin.... He was actually rather rude about it, remarking several times to his co-workers about what idiots those of us that automatically put things in the bin were.....I prefer to put things in the bin, I'm trying to keep an eye/hand onmy 2yo and collect all my stuff at the same time.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:30 AM

889 posts, read 1,015,887 times
This is why the liquid rules are so stupid. You can't bring in a large container of liquid in one container, but you can bring in the EXACT SAME AMOUNT OF LIQUID in as many small containers as you want.

So normal people who are just trying to bring enough shampoo or toothpaste for a month long trip can't, but if there was a terrorist trying to smuggle in enough liquid to do something with, they still could. Good job TSA, morons.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:39 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,809,789 times
I think the rules deliberately vary from airport to airport so the bad guys can't guess what they're supposed to do altho sometimes what the TSA does is truly a mystery . I'm only going on a 3-day trip and I just don't want to have to check a bag cause my liquids are too many. Oh the difficulties of being a woman

Old 07-20-2012, 01:45 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,027,501 times
I would stick about five of those little 1.25 OZ bottles of vodka in a zip lock bag and as long as they were unopened they were perfectly legal through TSA.

"Excuse me stewardess, one Orange Juice Please".

Saves about five or six bucks each.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:55 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,928,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
No doubt. I just flew thru Honolulu and they didn't want much of anything in the bin - the guy actually yelled at everyone not to put shoes, belts, handbags, etc in the bin.... He was actually rather rude about it, remarking several times to his co-workers about what idiots those of us that automatically put things in the bin were.....I prefer to put things in the bin, I'm trying to keep an eye/hand onmy 2yo and collect all my stuff at the same time.
Yes. I put my backpack on the belt, and everything else (shoes, sweater, personal item) in the bin, and they can inspect it all they want in the bin. I know someone who had money stolen by Heaththrow's TSA; I prefer, if possible, not to make it any easier for that to happen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Regardless of TSA whims, I don't think I've ever held up the flying public. I travel only with a REI Tourlite backpack, one personal item, and wear easy-to-remove shoes, which helps during the multi-tasking activity known as Going Through Security.

The Jax security line was moving along quickly with my quart bag in the top of my backpack, where it remained for the few seconds that it took to get through security.
Ditto the Denver security line; it moved along, but I kept up with the rhythm of the line while standing shoe-less there at the belt, putting *away* my driver's license, and taking *out* the bag of liquids from the top of my pack.

I always have the quart bag handy, but for domestic flights, especially out of Jax, I'm not going to take it out unless they make a live, unrecorded announcement asking for it.

For international flights, I'll check into the specifics of the countries I'm visiting (in the hope that perhaps there may be some consistency). Last winter, leaving Madrid, Spain, nobody had to take off their shoes or show their quart bag--but at the gate, I and another 50-something woman were picked for random pat-down and luggage inspection (we passed and were placed in the head of the boarding line.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or