U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Caribbean island is an overrated travel destination?
Anguilla 1 3.57%
Antigua and Barbuda 2 7.14%
Aruba 8 28.57%
Bahamas 7 25.00%
Barbados 2 7.14%
British Virgin Islands 0 0%
Cayman Islands 5 17.86%
Cuba 2 7.14%
Dominica 1 3.57%
Dominican Republic 4 14.29%
Curaçao 2 7.14%
Grenada 1 3.57%
Guadeloupe 0 0%
Jamaica 8 28.57%
Martinique 0 0%
Puerto Rico 6 21.43%
Netherland Antilles 1 3.57%
St. Lucia 0 0%
Trinidad and Tobago 2 7.14%
Turks and Caicos Islands 3 10.71%
US Virgin Islands 4 14.29%
Sint Maarten/Saint Martin 3 10.71%
Saint Kitts and Nevis 2 7.14%
Montserrat 0 0%
Saint Barthélemy 2 7.14%
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 1 3.57%
Bermuda 3 10.71%
Guyana 0 0%
Suriname 0 0%
French Guiana 0 0%
Belize 0 0%
Haiti 1 3.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:49 AM

17,611 posts, read 19,031,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Wow surprised to see Aruba picked twice as overrated. I went there for my honeymoon last year and spent time at Eagle Beach and thought wow, pictures don't do this place justice. And there's something for everyone here.

Anyways like another poster said, different people like/want different things making them like/dislike a particular island.
Aruba is like a real "desert" island. Rocky and cactus-y....

No thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 10:24 AM

608 posts, read 728,401 times
Kind of broad. Overrated in what sense?

Old 07-13-2012, 03:52 PM

9,251 posts, read 10,902,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Tortola is by far not the most redeeming part of the BVI. I spent a couple of days there and found it OK but that's it...not disgusting though. The special parts of the BVI are the smaller and less populated islands like Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, etc... and the best way to do the BVI is on a sailboat so that you can hop from one beautiful anchorage to the next during the course of your visit, spending as little time as possible in and around Tortola.

Hmm. I loved Tortola. We rented an apt on the beach and then used that as a jumping off place to visit Jost Van Dyke and Anegada by ferry. We took a boat to Norman Island and snorkeled the Caves. All in all, one of my favorite trips ever.

I didn't answer the poll, I haven't been to enough islands to even hazard a guess. I've stayed in Barbados 3 times. My parents took us to Puerto Rico twice when I was a kid. I've visited Grenada, Mustique, and St. Lucia on a cruise. I didn't enjoy St. Lucia but that was because I had a hangover. I visited St. Croix for a few days after the BVIs.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 PM

8,224 posts, read 14,921,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Where in the Bahamas did you visit that wasn't pleasant? Was it the Nassau and/or Freeport area by any chance? I'd somewhat agree w/you that these aren't my favorite places in Bahamas.

In most of the places I just listed you can easily walk along a 5 mile stretch of beach and not see a single other person!!

We went to Nassau twice. nope, I'm done. I have 2 places I want to visit again: Barcelona and Nueva Vallarta/Punta de Mita; but we have so many places we've yet to visit -- Belize, countries around the Mediterranean, especially the southern shores; South America - Brazil; and places in the US I can't wait to see - the Pacific northwet (no s); soCal, NM, north western states, Id, MT, etc. and I really want to take an Alaska cruise. My bucket list grows with every year!

plus I've decided, despite my absolute panic/fear of heights, I want to go para-sailing. Go figure.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:09 AM

[quote=NY Annie;25161478]We went to Nassau twice. nope, I'm done. I have 2 places I want to visit again: Barcelona and Nueva Vallarta/Punta de Mita; but we have so many places we've yet to visit -- Belize, countries around the Mediterranean, especially the southern shores; South America - Brazil; and places in the US I can't wait to see - the Pacific northwet (no s); soCal, NM, north western states, Id, MT, etc. and I really want to take an Alaska cruise. My bucket list grows with every year!

plus I've decided, despite my absolute panic/fear of heights, I want to go para-sailing. Go figure.[/quote]

Do it! I have the same anxiety and I finally, after years of debating it, forced myself to do it. It was fantastic!

Old 07-15-2012, 12:27 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,305,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
We went to Nassau twice. nope, I'm done. I have 2 places I want to visit again: Barcelona and Nueva Vallarta/Punta de Mita; but we have so many places we've yet to visit -- Belize, countries around the Mediterranean, especially the southern shores; South America - Brazil; and places in the US I can't wait to see - the Pacific northwet (no s); soCal, NM, north western states, Id, MT, etc. and I really want to take an Alaska cruise. My bucket list grows with every year!

plus I've decided, despite my absolute panic/fear of heights, I want to go para-sailing. Go figure.
That's too bad that you didn't have a good experience in the Bahamas One person's junk is another persons treasure I guess as the Bahamas is by far my favorite place in the entire world

But then again I spent 90% of my time in the "out islands" which even though are 50 to 200 miles from Nassau, feel like a WORLD away from it!

Cant really blame you that much as I would not care for it either if I limited my travels to Nassau/Paradise Isl.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:47 AM

13,104 posts, read 24,877,263 times
ARUBA!!! Just returned from there, three days early would have been sooner than that if I could have gotten a flight!!

Way way over rated and way way way over priced.

This is the first time ever I cut a vacation short and payed $150 pp to change my dam airline tickets just to get out of there

Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,148,031 times
I've traveled extensively throughout the region.

First of all, as an earlier poster stated, not every location listed is technically in the Caribbean.

Second, a poll like this is almost impossible to conduct on a message board because very few people have been to all of the places listed.

Third, most of the U.S. respondents have probably visited the locations on a cruise. Wow. What a silly way to learn about a country/island/culture.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:50 PM

4,241 posts, read 8,076,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post

First of all, as an earlier poster stated, not every location listed is technically in the Caribbean.

Second, a poll like this is almost impossible to conduct on a message board because very few people have been to all of the places listed.

Third, most of the U.S. respondents have probably visited the locations on a cruise. Wow. What a silly way to learn about a country/island/culture.
Right on, imo!

Old 07-29-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post

I used to cruise occasionally with my mother, who was a world traveler (not cruises). It's not my favorite way to travel, but did give me an idea of places where I wanted to return. Having said that, I have seen some mega-ships pulling up to port, thousands of people piling off the boat, and thought there's no way in he** you would get me on one of those things. But to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel