U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Caribbean island is an overrated travel destination?
Anguilla 1 3.57%
Antigua and Barbuda 2 7.14%
Aruba 8 28.57%
Bahamas 7 25.00%
Barbados 2 7.14%
British Virgin Islands 0 0%
Cayman Islands 5 17.86%
Cuba 2 7.14%
Dominica 1 3.57%
Dominican Republic 4 14.29%
Curaçao 2 7.14%
Grenada 1 3.57%
Guadeloupe 0 0%
Jamaica 8 28.57%
Martinique 0 0%
Puerto Rico 6 21.43%
Netherland Antilles 1 3.57%
St. Lucia 0 0%
Trinidad and Tobago 2 7.14%
Turks and Caicos Islands 3 10.71%
US Virgin Islands 4 14.29%
Sint Maarten/Saint Martin 3 10.71%
Saint Kitts and Nevis 2 7.14%
Montserrat 0 0%
Saint Barthélemy 2 7.14%
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 1 3.57%
Bermuda 3 10.71%
Guyana 0 0%
Suriname 0 0%
French Guiana 0 0%
Belize 0 0%
Haiti 1 3.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 PM

5 posts, read 12,447 times

Advertisements

Which country in the Caribbean is overrated for travel and tourism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:42 AM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Unless some one has been to all of them its not going to be a very accurate poll, also different people have different perspectives on their visits to certain Caribbean destinations.
however in keeping with the topic i've only been to Cuba,the white sandy beaches didnt look much different than the white sandy beaches in St Pete Fla.where theres a whole lot more to do..

Old 07-12-2012, 06:26 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,122,888 times
The Bahamas is technically not in the Caribbean but rather the Atlantic. Of course, it is generally lumped in with Caribbean islands so I suppose it works in this poll. If not for the out islands (Exumas, etc...) and based only on places where most folks go (Freeport & Nassau areas) the Bahamas would win (or lose depending on how you look at it. But I voted for Puerto Rico. They do a great job marketing the island for all its natural splendor and history but it struck me as an overpopulated crime-ridden island with beaches that could be pretty if they weren't overused and overdeveloped as municipal parks (i.e. Lucillo Beach). Old Town is beautiful w/ El Morro perched over the sea and awesome historic buildings but the rest of the Caribbean is much better for what I like in that region...a laid back slower pace with no worries, beautiful beaches and tranquil bays.

Full disclosure: I have been only to The Bahamas, USVI, BVI, Puerto Rico & Jamaica from this list. Of those, BVI wins easily as the best of the bunch!

Old 07-12-2012, 06:45 AM

9,186 posts, read 9,267,265 times
I took a Caribbean Cruise some years ago. We saw San Juan, Saint Maarten, St. Lucia, Martinique, Antigua, and St. Thomas. I think all the Caribbean Islands are overrated as destinations. All of them are poor and full of crime. They have some natural beauty. However, I felt there were plenty of places in the USA that I could go to that were just as beautiful and were not nearly as scary because we don't have the unemployment, poverty, or the crime rate that they have in those islands. I enjoyed the trip that I took because it exposed us to some places we had never been before. However, when we returned, DW and I, gave thanks that we live in America.

Last edited by markg91359; 07-12-2012 at 06:55 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 10:28 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,545,172 times
I think different people like different things. What's over-rated to some might be under-rated to another.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:06 PM

326 posts, read 827,924 times
I agree with what a lot of everyone else has said. It just depends.
BUT I would say St Thomas in the USVI is the most overrated. It does cruise ship business really well, but as a destination, ehhh, not so much. In my opinion it's very expensive and is a little more dangerous than many of the other islands in US and British Virgin islands.
I used to live there and have been back a few times since and it has progressively gotten worse. I hate to say that, but I don't think it can be denied. But it's happening all over really.

Also, it's kind of hard to compare a place like Haiti or Montserrat to places like Bermuda (which is nowhere near the Caribbean by the way) or St Bart.

On this list, my personal favorite is Anguilla which is getting pricier and pricier, but still fairly quiet and not too hard to get to.

By the way, Netherland Antilles is several islands, some of which are listed separately here.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:57 PM

8,225 posts, read 14,924,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post

Full disclosure: I have been only to The Bahamas, USVI, BVI, Puerto Rico & Jamaica from this list. Of those, BVI wins easily as the best of the bunch!
The last place on earth I ever want to go again - is Tortola, BVI. What a disgusting place. But I don't think it is overrated - as in people rating it higher than say, Bahamas - which is the 2nd last place on earth I ever want to go again - been there twice, find little to redeem it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForTheSea View Post
I agree with what a lot of everyone else has said. It just depends.
BUT I would say St Thomas in the USVI is the most overrated. It does cruise ship business really well, but as a destination, ehhh, not so much. In my opinion it's very expensive and is a little more dangerous than many of the other islands in US and British Virgin islands.
I used to live there and have been back a few times since and it has progressively gotten worse. I hate to say that, but I don't think it can be denied. But it's happening all over really.

Also, it's kind of hard to compare a place like Haiti or Montserrat to places like Bermuda (which is nowhere near the Caribbean by the way) or St Bart.

On this list, my personal favorite is Anguilla which is getting pricier and pricier, but still fairly quiet and not too hard to get to.

By the way, Netherland Antilles is several islands, some of which are listed separately here.
My favorite places in the Caribbean would be hard to rate - I like a lot of them but for different reasons:

St. Thomas is tied for #1 with Puerto Rico; my husband really likes St. Maarten and wants to return and I'd let him drag me along. St. Lucia impressed me in some ways, but I like Barbados more except the heat is a killer!

Old 07-12-2012, 02:59 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,079,171 times
Wow surprised to see Aruba picked twice as overrated. I went there for my honeymoon last year and spent time at Eagle Beach and thought wow, pictures don't do this place justice. And there's something for everyone here.

Anyways like another poster said, different people like/want different things making them like/dislike a particular island.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:49 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,122,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
The last place on earth I ever want to go again - is Tortola, BVI. What a disgusting place.
Tortola is by far not the most redeeming part of the BVI. I spent a couple of days there and found it OK but that's it...not disgusting though. The special parts of the BVI are the smaller and less populated islands like Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, etc... and the best way to do the BVI is on a sailboat so that you can hop from one beautiful anchorage to the next during the course of your visit, spending as little time as possible in and around Tortola.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:21 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,305,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
The last place on earth I ever want to go again - is Tortola, BVI. What a disgusting place. But I don't think it is overrated - as in people rating it higher than say, Bahamas - which is the 2nd last place on earth I ever want to go again - been there twice, find little to redeem it.

My favorite places in the Caribbean would be hard to rate - I like a lot of them but for different reasons:

St. Thomas is tied for #1 with Puerto Rico; my husband really likes St. Maarten and wants to return and I'd let him drag me along. St. Lucia impressed me in some ways, but I like Barbados more except the heat is a killer!

Where in the Bahamas did you visit that wasn't pleasant? Was it the Nassau and/or Freeport area by any chance? I'd somewhat agree w/you that these aren't my favorite places in Bahamas.

For a nice relaxing time in the Bahamas, I went to the out-islands of Mayaguana, Rum Cay, Staniel Cay (Exuma's) as well as Great Harbor Cay in the Berry Islands.

In most of the places I just listed you can easily walk along a 5 mile stretch of beach and not see a single other person!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel