Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,367 times

Advertisements

Our family will be in Seattle for seven days in August. Need input from local residents as to safe neighborhoods to stay in. We are considering renting an apt as our base and driving to surrounding areas. What areas would you recommend your own family to stay? Which would you avoid?
Are there reasonably priced hotels in areas you would recommend? How about places to visit 3/4 hrs away? We have teenagers. Also, what about great places to eat where locals love to go? parks? historical areas/bldgs? We have been wanting to visit Seattle for decades! and want to have a meaningful and quality time visiting your great city. We are traveling from Miami, Florida. What type of clothing should we bring? THANK A LOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 10:51 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,447 times
Do you have passports? If so, you must add Vancouver to your list of places to visit. Also with passports you could take a ferry to Victoria on Vancouver Island. Do you like hiking? Mt. Ranier would be a fun spot. Mount Rainier National Park - Mount Rainier National Park - I believe a $15 parking pass gets you 7 days entrance to the park. There is an underground tour in Seattle I have always wanted to take that is highly recommended UNDERGROUND TOUR. This is different than the underworld tour offered by the same company. Also really fun is ocean kayaking in the Pudget Sound. You can go on a guided ocean tour. My teens would really enjoy this, so maybe yours would too? I did an overnight trip once and I cannot remember who we used, but I think it was these guys Kayaking San Juan Islands: Whale Watching Kayak Tours Washington Trips Seattle. They also do half day trips.

For apartments to rent for the week, I would check VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner. VRBO owners are generally very helpful about answering questions about the area and neighborhood safety. Most suite hotels will be much less like an apartment and more like, well, a suite. I have stayed in hotels all over the city and never felt we went anywhere truly unsafe. Safety precautions are recommended here as in any other major city. We have used Embassy Suites a few times and the two room set up works well with the kids. Bellevue is my favorite area, but it's not really close to everything in Seattle. We have really enjoyed the Inn at the Market (Pike Place), but it may not be suitable for the type of accommodation you are looking for.

For weather, you are probably going to be on the chilly side. Or you may find it a refreshing change from Florida. The average high in Aug is 76. The record high was set 22 years ago at 93.

Food? Our favorites are Le Pichet (great bistro for lunch if you like French food), Pike Place Chowder, Beecher's, Piroshky Piroshky, Metropolitan Grill, Salty's...honestly, there is a lot of good food to be had. There are all kinds of little places to eat in and around Pike Place. You could spend at least half a day poking around the market and find all kinds of things to eat. I like to graze in the market, try little bits from a variety of cuisines. The original Starbucks is down there, if you are into coffee. I personally like Seattle's Best Coffee better and our kids love their Italian Sodas.

You are going to have a fabulous vacation. My fingers are crossed that you have your passports because getting Seattle and Vancouver in one trip will really take things over the top. Vancouver is about a 3 hour drive plus border crossing.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
I would find a nice QUIET place over by Pt Townsend for a few days (or Poulsbo) preferably on the water (or within a hike). There is lodging at Ft Worden, but probably booked in August. Consider a 2 day trip to Whidbey Island area.

In SEA we enjoy the Chittenden Locks during peak times (Friday Eve and Sunday Eve)
Hiram M. Chittenden Locks - Magnolia - Seattle, WA
here is a good spot (downtown, near Amtrak / Pioneer SQ) for a rainy day Klondike Gold Rush - Seattle Unit National Historical Park - Klondike Gold Rush - Seattle Unit National Historical Park

I don't see anything about your desire to go to BC (Vanc Island (Victoria), or Vancouver City / mainland). That deserves it's own trip (IMHO) Pretty spendy, lots to do each place.

A ferry trip to and from Kingston / Bremerton / Pt Townsend might be adequate water adventure. (remember eastbound passengers are free, you can DRIVE north through Tacoma / Narrows Bridge if you are out at Mt Rainier)

Consider Mt Rainier for a day trip. (great (COOL) hiking in SE corner / waterfalls
I like this joint (free) danielklennert near SW entrance.

Clothing... bring something to 'cover-up'. Will be breezy and cool in evenings (compared to FL).

Lodging... look for some online / priceline / hotwire deals. (We stay in private Guest homes $10/night worldwide. It was FUN and educational for our kids... similar to 'couchsurfing for families'). Bit late for that option. (usually folks want to know a couple weeks in advance + you need to 'join' a listing).

Old 07-14-2012, 06:50 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,447 times
I only suggested Van/Vic because the OP wanted to know some places to visit 3/4 hours from Seattle. Your list is great too.

Your guest home idea is kinda cool - is there a website for this?

Old 07-18-2012, 10:01 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacsidriver View Post
Our family will be in Seattle for seven days in August. Need input from local residents as to safe neighborhoods to stay in. We are considering renting an apt as our base and driving to surrounding areas. What areas would you recommend your own family to stay? Which would you avoid?
Are there reasonably priced hotels in areas you would recommend? How about places to visit 3/4 hrs away? We have teenagers. Also, what about great places to eat where locals love to go? parks? historical areas/bldgs? We have been wanting to visit Seattle for decades! and want to have a meaningful and quality time visiting your great city. We are traveling from Miami, Florida. What type of clothing should we bring? THANK A LOT.

Bring a passport (if you have one) and spend a day in Vancouver. It's not that far (only about 90-120 minutes driving time), and I heard the city is beutiful. I was there back in 04 or 05 but only for a couple days so couldn't get up to Vancouver. I'm going back there in August and put Vancouver on the to do list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel