U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:57 PM

527 posts, read 1,855,427 times

Advertisements

I need some help with car rentals. I have rented car only once and that was last year when i came in USA. It was for 2 days on a weekend and i rented the car to go and find a car for me to buy.
Next month i am traveling to East coast and i need to come from New York City to Hagerstown, MD. In between i want to visit the Hershey's chocolate world which is sort of in between.
So i will be picking the car from NYC and dropping it off at Hagerstown, MD (12-15 Hours later) or might drop at Washington DC the next day, yet to decide.

I need to know if all car rental companies provide this facility of dropping off the car at a different location, in this case different state altogether ?
If yes then do they charge some separate fees and how much ?
Also what car rental company should i prefer and one which provides best value for money ?
I want the cheapest option in the car (usually they list Chevy Aveo).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 07:25 PM

2,593 posts, read 5,289,910 times
1. There WILL be dropoff fees. They will be substantial. See below.

> Also what car rental company should i prefer and one which provides best value for money ?

2. All have complaints, most are at least OK. See below.

>I want the cheapest option in the car (usually they list Chevy Aveo).

Usually second or third from the cheapest is nearly the same and significantly better. See below.

Below starts here. Find yourself a favorite among the travel websites, and use it to compare prices and get reviews.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:35 PM

28,496 posts, read 62,152,821 times
You'll be MUCH better off to find some other way to Maryland before you rent a car.
Fly to BWI rather than NY or take the train south... whatever/however.

Returning a rental car anywhere other than where you got it....
but especialy in some other state gets expensive fast.ake

Make the trip to Hershey some other time (100km from Hagerstown).

Old 07-13-2012, 07:50 PM

Although i did try roughly on budget cars website i see like 130$ or so for rental from NYC to Hagerstown, MD.
I want to know how much it would be if i say for example took a car from NYC and returned back in NYC in 24 hours (just as an example) what would be the cheapest and what would be the cost if NYC to Hagerstown, MD ?

Also won't flying to BWI or taking any other transport will be expensive. It will be me and my wife traveling. Also after i am in Hagerstown, i will have to take a rental car for few hours anyway to visit Hersheys as i might never come on east coast again in future.
So i thought i am better off taking a car from NYC and go to Hagerstown and finish off the hershey's in between.
Also travelling from BWI or any other airport (like washington dc) to hagerstown will incur me taxi / cab cost and that sure wont be cheap i know since hagerstown is like 75 miles from BWI or Washington DC airport.

Last edited by rak007; 07-13-2012 at 07:59 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 08:12 PM

8,225 posts, read 14,929,741 times
First, if you rent at an airport, you will save a lot.

Second, regardless what prices you are getting, the actual rental will be MUCH higher after the inclusion of insurance, gas, etc. so be prepared.

Travelling by car to Hershey, PA is your best bet.

We have rented from various rental companies- National, Hertz, Dollar, Alamo, Budget, Avis, Enterprise - their prices are generally in the same range but you can often find a special depending on whether you belong to specific groups, such as: AARP, AAA, unions, etc.

If you are doing a one-way rental, you will probably pay by the mile no matter which company you use, but it's certainly worth checking into.

You could look up priceline.com and see if you can get a deal.

BTW, it is possible to do the 3 things you want without renting a car. I'm pretty sure you can find a bus/train out of NYC to Hershey, and then from there to Maryland.

But, of all the places you want to see on the east coast since this is possibly your one chance, Hershey is not what I would pick. It's mostly an amusement park now - and there are amusement parks all over the country.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:58 PM

I have progressive insurance for my car here and want to know whether it will be useful to take some money off the total rent for that one day.
I am considering one way rental as if i do not take that option then i have to travel from NYC to either Washington DC or Baltimore BWI either by flight or some bus (not idea about trains). Then after the airport, i will have to take a cab to Hagerstown which is like 75 miles away and this means substantial cab fare.
From hagerstown i have to go to Hershey's in a single day since my wife wants to go there.

Considering all this, still i should not taken a rental car one way.

I shall be calling various rental companies tomorrow and asking how much it will cost and compare them.

The main reason i want to go for rental car is that i have freedom of traveling the way i want to and the Hershey's can be done in between rather than going separately from Hagerstown later.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 PM

5,538 posts, read 9,940,150 times
Just use a travel site to get a sense of cost comparison. Before you commit through a travel site, check the company's own website to see if there is any savings. Often there isn't, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:22 AM

5,327 posts, read 11,047,644 times
Just a bit of a tip to get more than you bargained for.
When you decide to rent a car, the best time of the day is to reserve one a few days before and then get to the rental agency as early as *you can get out of bed*.
You usually get a larger car, because the cars that are rented out have not been returned yet.
Then refuse to pay more than you agreed upon.
Works for me all the time, even in Europe where I always ask for/reserve a 3 series BMW. They never have one, and offer me a larger one for less sometimes, because I *complain* about the gas mileage of the larger car ...

Drop off charges can and will cost you often an arm and a leg !!!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:11 AM

32,073 posts, read 32,974,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You'll be MUCH better off to find some other way to Maryland before you rent a car.
Fly to BWI rather than NY or take the train south... whatever/however.

Returning a rental car anywhere other than where you got it....
but especialy in some other state gets expensive fast.ake

Make the trip to Hershey some other time (100km from Hagerstown).
One could take a train from NYC to Harrisburg which is very close to Hershey. In Harrisburg one could rent a car to go to Hershey.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,563 posts, read 39,944,045 times
It is usually least expensive to rent and return cars to same city (Airports CAN be very expensive to rent in USA, as they have extra rental taxes).

On rare occasions rental car companies give you a great rate to drive one-way, as they may have excess cars needing relocation.

You are best off to use travel sites to get initial car quotes.

IN USA you can reserve a car, and only be obligated to pay IF you show up and make contract. (not applicable to Priceline / Hotwire where you PRE-PAY)

Thus, I often book ahead (1 month...) the least expensive car through rental company. Then.. a few days before trip... I 'bid / name my price' on priceline to see if car companies want to offer better deal (I often get for $10- $16/ day). If you commit to that, give a courtesy call to previous booking to cancel. I do my insurance through adding extension for rental car onto my auto policy (~$5/month).

Most of USA is better seen with a car, as public / train transit is infrequent and expensive (but worth checking for your particular trip). While in Hershey / Harrisburg area, I like to visit Civil War sites and Shepherdstown, Harpers ferry, C&O canal parks... and also get to Lancaster / Amish and Gettysburg areas. These may be of no interest to you, but all are quite nicely done and educational. (This venue reqs a rental car)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel