U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Maryland
1,534 posts, read 3,781,044 times
Reputation: 2307

Advertisements

Did Tuscany/northern Italy/Venice trip in the spring. Fell in love with Bolzano & the Dolomites, definitely will return.

Started packing, departure 8/29. Fly into Bucharest, bus to Constanta and then its river boating from there on up to Amsterdam, returning 9/25. Should be a good trip, we've done Amsterdam to Vienna on the rivers from the north previously but this is our first time on the lower end. Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Serbia and Croatia are new for us and quite different from our other travels, so I've been told. We're really looking forward to it.

I just pray the water levels cooperate so it doesn't turn into a bus tour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2012, 11:27 AM
 
14,752 posts, read 28,608,889 times
Reputation: 8780
Last month - about three weeks:

Portugal (island of Madeira, Lisbon, Porto)
Italy (Sicily, Tuscany, day-trip to Venice)

Getting on the plane to come home was a challenge, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 01:54 PM
 
407 posts, read 529,017 times
Reputation: 531
Are all these trips for business or work? Are you all mostly retired? How are you doing all this traveling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 04:14 AM
 
Location: Oxford, England
13,036 posts, read 22,016,442 times
Reputation: 19908
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
Are all these trips for business or work? Are you all mostly retired? How are you doing all this traveling?
For us it is pretty much all leisure travelling. Hubby gets 31 days of paid vacation a year + up to three days off a month he can take in overtime ( which he can do easily nowadays as he has to work longer hours on his current project). Then you add up the Bank Holidays and week- ends and stretch it all and you can have quite a reasonable amount of time off. I have learnt how to really make our vacation work for us by really utilising every single day and being clever with the timing for example.

We will only come back on the last day Hubby is due back before our vacation not a few days as some people do.

And unlike a lot of our friends we NEVER take time off to waste ( it would be a waste for us I appreciate other people do not see it that way)at home doing nothing. I would actually be really upset if we had to spend some of our vacation at home. Being at home to me is something you do whilst waiting to leave for somewhere else.

If I had the money I am not even sure I would really have a "home". I never want to be there and what keeps me going is the prospect of our next trip. I only wish Hubby had to travel more for work as then we would get even more time on the road. I keep telling him to get himself posted somewhere else but his boss never complies for some reason. I told him that as long as it's not a war zone I can be packed in under an hour. Easy.

I live for my travels though they are not what they used to be. I cannot imagine life without them. You might as well lock me in a cage and throw away the key. I would simply wither and die inside. I feel trapped at "home" as it is already. We have lived in our house for 11 years now and that is about 9 to 10 years too long. I love the area we live and our house but 11 bloody years ? When I could have spent a year in 11 countries over that time or six months in 22 countries ?!?! What a waste of my life. And I am not getting any younger and will never get those years back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,945 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Reputation: 41751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
For us it is pretty much all leisure travelling. Hubby gets 31 days of paid vacation a year + up to three days off a month he can take in overtime ( which he can do easily nowadays as he has to work longer hours on his current project). Then you add up the Bank Holidays and week- ends and stretch it all and you can have quite a reasonable amount of time off. I have learnt how to really make our vacation work for us by really utilising every single day and being clever with the timing for example.

We will only come back on the last day Hubby is due back before our vacation not a few days as some people do.

And unlike a lot of our friends we NEVER take time off to waste ( it would be a waste for us I appreciate other people do not see it that way)at home doing nothing. I would actually be really upset if we had to spend some of our vacation at home. Being at home to me is something you do whilst waiting to leave for somewhere else.

If I had the money I am not even sure I would really have a "home". I never want to be there and what keeps me going is the prospect of our next trip. I only wish Hubby had to travel more for work as then we would get even more time on the road. I keep telling him to get himself posted somewhere else but his boss never complies for some reason. I told him that as long as it's not a war zone I can be packed in under an hour. Easy.

I live for my travels though they are not what they used to be. I cannot imagine life without them. You might as well lock me in a cage and throw away the key. I would simply wither and die inside. I feel trapped at "home" as it is already. We have lived in our house for 11 years now and that is about 9 to 10 years too long. I love the area we live and our house but 11 bloody years ? When I could have spent a year in 11 countries over that time or six months in 22 countries ?!?! What a waste of my life. And I am not getting any younger and will never get those years back.
one of the problems we have here in America, is not enough vacation time: I think this is something most everyone will agree on..Europians get so much more holiday time plus the countries are so close together you have a lot more opportunities to visit them. We have our positives for sure and I wouldn't trade living in America for anything, but I think the work force (which I am no longer part of) would be more productive with a little more free time.

Now, where have we been lately? almost nowhere, we did spend 9 days, in the spring, in Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Oxford, England
13,036 posts, read 22,016,442 times
Reputation: 19908
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
one of the problems we have here in America, is not enough vacation time: I think this is something most everyone will agree on..Europians get so much more holiday time plus the countries are so close together you have a lot more opportunities to visit them. We have our positives for sure and I wouldn't trade living in America for anything, but I think the work force (which I am no longer part of) would be more productive with a little more free time.

Now, where have we been lately? almost nowhere, we did spend 9 days, in the spring, in Las Vegas.
I agree. A lot of Europeans ( myself included) simply cannot comprehend how anyone can survive a year without a proper vacation or two. Having lived in the US I horrified some friends of mine in Europe by telling them that paid vacation are not even a legal requirement from employer and even people who do get a reasonable amount of time off often feel pressurised not to use them.

Hubby and I have considered moving to the US for a couple of years but the poor working conditions have always put us off. I compare his job (Urban Planner) in the UK to the equivalent in the US and the work packages are appalling in our eyes anyway.

And don't get me started on the "at will" employment system which to us is simply barbaric ! A very well qualified Professional and American friend of mine was at the receiving end of this practice and I simply could not believe this would happen in a civilised country. I was literally shocked and horrified.

I suppose it's just a different work culture. Hubby does actually work quite hard but his life does not revolve around his job and we always get the feeling that it does far more in the US. I love the US and we visit every year but some things I would not swap for all the Tea in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 05:59 PM
 
407 posts, read 529,017 times
Reputation: 531
My husband has 6 weeks vacation, and in the 20 years we've been married, he's only taken 1 week per year. He simply doesn't use it, because the situation at his office would be a disaster if he left for that long.

Also, in the US, if you leave for a longer vacation you are likely to get fired when you come back. Because the office lived without you for 2 weeks, they figure they don't really need you. It also can make you the scapegoat for office politics; people talking behind your back while you're gone, etc.

I always thought the European way was great. I wish we had that here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 11:28 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Spent last week in Boston. Work related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
My husband has 6 weeks vacation, and in the 20 years we've been married, he's only taken 1 week per year. He simply doesn't use it, because the situation at his office would be a disaster if he left for that long.

Also, in the US, if you leave for a longer vacation you are likely to get fired when you come back. Because the office lived without you for 2 weeks, they figure they don't really need you. It also can make you the scapegoat for office politics; people talking behind your back while you're gone, etc.

I always thought the European way was great. I wish we had that here.
Your husband needs to pull up his big boy pants. I just took three weeks off and explored four countries in Europe. Triaged email daily--only responded to critical matters. Spent three months before I left getting all my ducks in a row, came back to a heap of mail and a bunch of phone calls to return, but guess what? The place didn't fall down without me, no one talked behind my back, and while they weren't upset that I was gone, they were glad to see me back.

Generally when an employee refuses to take time off, it's a red flag to employers that they are afraid that something they're hiding will be uncovered while they are gone. Food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 09:15 PM
 
Location: "The Gorge"
905 posts, read 3,068,147 times
Reputation: 712
We went to Thailand & Cambodia earlier this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top