U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 01:26 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,841,505 times

Advertisements

In the past 10 days, I spent a weekend in Des Vosges (Alsace/Lorraine, France);
spent some time in Western Germany;
drove to Belgium for chocolates and pastries (friends wanted the pastries) - day trip!;
drove to Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland to spend a few days in the Alps.
Drove home through Lichtenstein and Austria and home again.

How about your travels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 03:11 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,676,707 times
This year, I've traveled to Sister Bay, WI; New Orleans; the front range of Colorado; Joplin, MO and will be off to Oklahoma City soon.

Not a very busy travel year so far.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:57 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,201,373 times
I went to northeastern Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, and Montenegro earlier this summer. After I got back I spent a week in Cincinnati for work. In a week I'm headed to Calgary, Canada for several days, and early in August I'm spending a week in Buffalo/Western New York. Quite a few trips within just three months.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:49 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,660,546 times
In April I went to China for 2 1/2 weeks. In Sept I am going to Peru/Easter Island for a month. November? Athens and Istanbul. This has been a good year for travel.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:15 PM

17,616 posts, read 19,055,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
In the past 10 days, I spent a weekend in Des Vosges (Alsace/Lorraine, France);
spent some time in Western Germany;
drove to Belgium for chocolates and pastries (friends wanted the pastries) - day trip!;
drove to Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland to spend a few days in the Alps.
Drove home through Lichtenstein and Austria and home again.

How about your travels?

This is me being jealous of you--->

(kidding...sounds lovely! )

Old 07-16-2012, 05:13 AM

calipoppy, I can't believe that I'm going to say this, but I'm tired of traveling.
Next weekend, it's only the Czech Republic.
Or Dresden and Sachsische Schweiz.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:27 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,029,139 times
Quote:
calipoppy, I can't believe that I'm going to say this, but I'm tired of traveling.
Next weekend, it's only the Czech Republic.
Or Dresden and Sachsische Schweiz.
Only the Czech Republic ! Pfffffffft! I am with Calipoppy, you make us all feel like couch potatoes !

In the last few months I have been to Belgium ( Bruges and Ghent), Northern France ( Lille and Boulogne) , Croatia , Montenegro and Serbia and Brittany ( Western France). My Week ends tend to be a little more pedestrian than yours because of a large puddle called the Channel which makes going to the continent a tad more expensive. Time for us to relocate to Central Europe methinks and then we can start competing on a level playing field !

Old 07-16-2012, 05:48 AM

It's too true.
Czech is only 45 minutes away.
And your list is nothing to sneeze at.

I've been compiling some info that we discussed.
I'll get it to you soon, really, really I will!

Lille is such a delight.
I want to learn more about Montenegro and Serbia.
They're part of my list for next year's birthday trip.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:49 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,029,139 times
Quote:
It's too true.
Czech is only 45 minutes away.
And your list is nothing to sneeze at.

I've been compiling some info that we discussed.
I'll get it to you soon, really, really I will!

Lille is such a delight.
I want to learn more about Montenegro and Serbia.
They're part of my list for next year's birthday trip.
Hubby's birthday is coming up and these days we don't tend to buy each other "stuff" but prefer to go places instead and I am starting to think about places I could take him next year. So far my favourite is Asturias , Galicia and Cantabria in Northern Spain ( my favourite part of Spain and pretty much totally undiscovered by foreign tourists). I love that part of the world but haven't been in years. Wild Spain at its best IMO and not a British tourist in sight or a British fish and chip shop.... And the food is to die for.

Lille really is lovely, it has changed so much in my lifetime.It used to be a grey, dull and rather depressing dump of a place but has been regenerated so beautifully in such a vibrant place ( I recommend "La Piscine" museum, a converted Art Deco Swimming pool in nearby Roubaix by the way, worth the short drive).

Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 AM

17,616 posts, read 19,055,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Hubby's birthday is coming up and these days we don't tend to buy each other "stuff" but prefer to go places instead and I am starting to think about places I could take him next year. So far my favourite is Asturias , Galicia and Cantabria in Northern Spain ( my favourite part of Spain and pretty much totally undiscovered by foreign tourists). I love that part of the world but haven't been in years. Wild Spain at its best IMO and not a British tourist in sight or a British fish and chip shop.... And the food is to die for.

Lille really is lovely, it has changed so much in my lifetime.It used to be a grey, dull and rather depressing dump of a place but has been regenerated so beautifully in such a vibrant place ( I recommend "La Piscine" museum, a converted Art Deco Swimming pool in nearby Roubaix by the way, worth the short drive).
Yes, I have never made it to Northern Spain and I have always wanted to explore that region by we always do the well-worn path in the mid and Southern Spanish regions.

I'm seriously getting itchy feet reading this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Only the Czech Republic ! Pfffffffft! I am with Calipoppy, you make us all feel like couch potatoes !

In the last few months I have been to Belgium ( Bruges and Ghent), Northern France ( Lille and Boulogne) , Croatia , Montenegro and Serbia and Brittany ( Western France). My Week ends tend to be a little more pedestrian than yours because of a large puddle called the Channel which makes going to the continent a tad more expensive. Time for us to relocate to Central Europe methinks and then we can start competing on a level playing field !
That's so funny! Well I have the whole country to cross plus a little pond called "The Atlantic Ocean" to be able to compete with both you and chielgirl in your lovely European day/weekend trips, so you are well ahead of me too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or