Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:27 AM

941 posts, read 1,803,918 times

Advertisements

Istanbul

Locals fish along Galata Bridge. William Bossen, who shot this photo, calls Istanbul "the most cosmopolitan city on Earth." See more photos from around the city on CNN iReport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 08:45 AM

Default How about a visit to the Samii Laplanders

In 1989, a Swede by the name of Yngve Bergqvist hit on the idea of building an igloo on the frozen banks of the Torne river in Swedish Lapland to showcase indigenous Sami art and handicrafts. A few intrepid tourists asked if they could sleep in the igloo for a real taste of what the Swedes love to call 'the exotic'. Bergqvist soon realised the idea had potential and within a few years he'd transformed the sleepy backwater of Jukkasjarvi, in Sweden's northernmost reaches, into a tourist blockbuster which now pulls in 40,000 visitors a year.Photo above: Icehotel, in Jukkas. Icehotel ranks as the number one winter destination in Swedish Lapland and its undisputed success has spawned a number of similar ventures in both Norwegian and Finnish Lapland.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:49 AM

89 posts, read 201,792 times
Default Slovenia

If you want to truly get away from the tourists and see some beautiful places I would recommend going to Slovenia. Bled is a wonderful place to visit and we really like Ljubljana too.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 AM

Slovenia.. show us a photo or two, will you?? (Would love to see) thanks!

Old 07-20-2012, 07:06 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,981 times
With 10 day chunks as a parameter (assuming 1 day travel each way so you've 8 in country) and no foreknowledge of your interests:

ITALY:Tuscany (Chianciamo is a nice base) & the Etruscan hill towns plus Florence; Venice can easily be a week by itself; Rome for its monuments & art, with a shot to the Amalfi coast; Bolzano is very nice for a northern base. (Be aware - northern Italy is almost a different country, German is a primary language.) The Lakes district is awesome but skip Cumo, its too much of a jet setter area unless that appeals to you. Anywhere on the Italian Riviera is worth a week (Santa Margherita Ligure is very nice).

RUSSIA: St. Petersburg is easily an extended week. Moscow is also well worth a visit. I'd do 3 nights in Moscow and then off to StP.

PORTUGAL: Cascais as a base, train to Lisbon & Sintra. Possibly wander over to the Algarve (southern coast) to Sagres.

GERMANY: Almost anywhere is worth a visit. I'm particularly fond of the small river towns along the train line.

SPAIN: The Alhambra in Granada is extraordinary, Torremolinos is an international beach town with interesting sights, as are any of the Costa del Sol beaches. Seville, Cordoba, Toledo and Madrid all have their charms. Any local village is great for people watching. A day run from Gibraltar to Tangier is worth a visit.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post

SPAIN: The Alhambra in Granada is extraordinary, Torremolinos is an international beach town with interesting sights, as are any of the Costa del Sol beaches. Seville, Cordoba, Toledo and Madrid all have their charms. Any local village is great for people watching. A day run from Gibraltar to Tangier is worth a visit.
GREAT post Pilgrim!! and don't forget Marbella:

Old 07-20-2012, 10:20 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,279 times
Ah, Marbella! I experienced it in 1970!

Three 10-day trips, presumably during the rest of your life? Wow, you've certainly got your budget figured out rather precisely.

Here's my picks, excluding the places you've been (and I love going back to places I love):

- Italy (Rome, Florence, and do spend some time in the countryside)
- Greece (ahh, the islands!)
- Istanbul (a fabulous city)
- Scotland (if you haven't been to that part of the "UK"--BTW, I love the UK, I could go back and back to new parts)
- Portugal (cheaper than some countries)
- Prague and Budapest (haven't been there, but want to go)

Old 07-20-2012, 10:32 AM

Default Budapest

Old 07-20-2012, 05:15 PM

165 posts, read 897,091 times
Some places to consider:

- Istanbul
- Lake Cuomo/northern Italy to Venice to Florence to Rome (could be done in your 10 day limit)
- Scandinavia, especially the Fjords in Norway
- Switzerland-Geneva, Lausanne, Mont Blanc

Happy, safe travels!

Edit:

If you consider Istanbul, you could fly into Istanbul, to Kusadasi/Ephesus, to Bodrum or Cesme, to Antalya and fly out of Antalya (fabulous trip!)

Last edited by cignalife; 07-20-2012 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: More Info

Old 07-21-2012, 03:28 PM

905 posts, read 3,454,676 times
I agree with Jezer. What are your interests?

I also 2nd rational1. Go where the tourists aren't! Avoid the crowds and tourist traps found on the tourist trail.

Salzburg is so quaint and a step back in time.

I have been to Cinque Terre 2x's and will return Sept '13, can't wait! Amalfi and Pompeii are also beautiful.

I stumbled upon Ljubljana, Slovenia and fell in love with it.

Another consideration is Croatia, a beautiful, beautiful country! Nice people and awesome food.

My favorite city in Europe is Barcelona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel