U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 04:27 PM

5,722 posts, read 8,797,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Higher than January but altitude is the issue.
You won't see me up there in January. I guess the lower altitudes - Will the temps fall below 50?

Mostly I need campground recommendations. I can get weather data on the web - besides it will change from week to week I imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 05:30 PM

28,605 posts, read 62,438,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Will the temps fall below 50? Mostly I need campground recommendations.
You didn't say *where* along that 300 mile route...
but assuming you'll be camping at the northern end YEAH.
Your Adirondack Camping Guide To The Best Campgrounds in New York:Visit Wilderness & RV Parks In New York

My last time up there was right before a Labor Day weekend
I missed the last Ferry across Lake Champlain then spent a FRIGID night in the car at port Kent.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:35 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,698,937 times
Lake Placid in the Adirondacks or Keuka Lake in the Finger Lakes.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:41 AM

9,034 posts, read 16,466,881 times
The only issue with the finger lakes is the drive from the NYC metro area

However, for what both have said the area around Watkins Glen could work perfectly

The gorge is actually Watkins Glen State Park and there is camping there - 305 sites and a process for reservations

Campground Details - WATKINS GLEN STATE PARK, NY - New York State Parks

It's about 40 minutes over to Hammondsport on Keuka Lake which has a nice little village - I love the west lake side of Keuka Lake ... also Hammondsport has the Glenn Curtiss Museum ... he was an early pioneer of aviation, motorcycles, etc

Glenn H. Curtiss Aviation Museum - Aviation History / Naval Aviation / Early Aviation

Between Seneca & Keuka Lake (and on the drive between the two) you pass Waneta & Lamoka Lake, which are much small - but nice to take non-motorized boats out on and do some fishing (shore or boat)

It's very easy to get boat rentals for both Seneca & Keuka - one down side to Seneca is that it's fairly large & deep and can be a bit cold .... Keuka is usually fairly pleasant as far as upstate lakes go (and with how hot it's been this summer I imagine it would be fine for swimming if you went up this year)

From watkins glen it's a 45 minute drive to Keuka Lake State Park - there is a swimming beach there that isn't too bad for a lake beach as well as camping

Keuka Lake State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Seneca Lake State Park is just as far away on the opposite end of Seneca Lake - however, it's not as good for swimming ... if you have kids though, it can still be great as they have a massive splash pad and a great playground

Seneca Lake State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

There is a fun craft and farmers market about 20 minutes from Watkins Glen - The Windmill in Penn Yan
The Windmill Farm & Craft Market

You are also only about a half hour from Ithaca - which will open up more gorges, waterfalls, etc and Ithaca is a neat little college town .... one of the more notable water falls in the area is taughannock falls, but given the lack of rain this summer and distance from the spring snow melt I would image that there isn't much water or size to the falls right now

Taughannock Falls State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

The other one that people tend to really seek out around Ithaca is Buttermilk Falls
Buttermilk Falls State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Also about 30 minutes to Corning - which is a perfect spot to spend a day if the weather hits .... they have a couple good museums (tops are the Corning Museum of Glass and the Rockwell Museum), some nice shops, etc

Plenty of really good hiking in the area - from the state parks to the finger lakes trail ..... one that is maybe a bit under the radar that I really lake is the Kueka Lake Outlet trail ... basically follows an old rail line and lock system between Keuka & Seneca lakes .... nice little jaunt - easy terrain

Welcome to our new Website!

A little further away (just over an hour) is Letchworth State Park - stunning park and there is camping there as well
Letchworth State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

If you are in the area from the 14th-19th of this year you can visit the 193rd Steuben County Fair .... located in Bath it's the oldest continuous county fair in the nation ... not for everyone and definitely is a small town, small county fair ... but can be fun (especially if you have kids of the right age)
Steuben County Fair

You're also 30-40 minutes from Elmira/Horseheads ... you can catch a baseball game at Dunn Field (a bit of a dump, but I love it - very old structure - unfortunately they are no longer affiliated with any MLB team, but they do have a collegiate league team)

One of the big attractions in that area is soaring .... Harris Hill is a fun little recreation area and also home to the National Soaring Museum

The National Soaring Museum - Harris Hill, Elmira, NY

If you are braver than I am there is also opportunity to go up in a sail plane or to hang-glide in the area

Also in the horseheads area is the National Warplane Museum & Wings of Eagles Discovery Center .... I think the location may be moving though so it may or may not be currently open
National Warplane museum - USAF.com

Circling back you still have watkins glen - there is the raceway in town as well as a decent marina ... you can fish from the pier or walk around the town and find places to fish without a boat (not going to catch anything of size if anything at all, but can be fun for the kids) .... again, boat rentals are abundant and there is all the wineries, hiking, etc right there on Seneca Lake as well

Definitely enough in the area to keep you occupied for a good stretch and IMO, Watkins Glen is a nice spot in it's own right - but a great jumping off point if you want to explore Keuka, Waneta, Lamoka, Seneca and the lower end of Cayuga lakes as well as have reasonable access to a city like Corning

Old 07-26-2012, 05:56 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,698,937 times
Now that 86 is interstate except a tiny stretch south of Elmira, it's not a bad drive. 80 across NJ to 380 to 81 to 86. You can leave midtown NYC at noon and be in the Glen for dinner.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:46 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,995,840 times
Ignore the person who dissed the Finger Lakes ("motels shabby at best") - nobody who visits the Finger Lakes stays in a motel, there are beautiful guest houses and B&B's up the wazoo.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:06 PM

5,722 posts, read 8,797,741 times
Thanks immensely, Fingerlaker. Unfortunately business interfered with my ambitious plan for an early August vacation. If I come for the fall colors it will give me time to build a camper on my truck. Do you know if most of these campgrounds have electric service?

How do the fall colors in NY compare to E TN? Is it worth it to drive 1000 miles away to see something I can maybe view closer by?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:04 PM

6,299 posts, read 6,423,467 times
You could go to Bufallo and see the Niagara Falls. That is always a site. You can take a boat and go right behind the water I think. Go to Lake Erie or Lake Ontario.In Pennsylvania, if you go to Jim Thorpe, there is some very nice hiking.Most people in the Northeast who take vacations out into the rural areas of Pennsylvania, or Upstate NY, go there for Skiing in the Winters, or camping, and hunting, or just just to get out of the urban sprawl and be out in nature, so it matters not where they are. The rural areas of the northeast do not really have spectacular views that would draw people from outside, except maybe Niagara Falls

Old 08-17-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Thanks immensely, Fingerlaker. Unfortunately business interfered with my ambitious plan for an early August vacation. If I come for the fall colors it will give me time to build a camper on my truck. Do you know if most of these campgrounds have electric service?

How do the fall colors in NY compare to E TN? Is it worth it to drive 1000 miles away to see something I can maybe view closer by?
You can use the campground search function for the NYS parks system - I put in a search for trailer sites near watkins glen and it looks like watkins glen has 50 sites with electrical hookups, robert tremain 30, keuka lake 30, taughannock 30, fillmore glen 50, etc.

Here is the link for the tool - it won't let me link the results

Find Campgrounds - New York State Parks

As for how it compares to eastern TN - I really have no idea .... I haven't seen the colors in eastern TN, however upstate NY is usually pretty good .... the time they start, the duration and vibrancy is dependent on a lot that hasn't revealed itself yet .... however, it's usually nice and frequently spectacular

I really like fall up there - especially if you catch a bit of the harvest time as well .... something relaxing about getting farm fresh foods from little markets (I really miss the wide variety of grapes) .... hitting a pick your own apple orchard and stacking up .... sipping a glass of wine at one of the finger lake wineries while looking down the hills with the colors blazing against the lake - generally comfortable days that can get a bit crisp if not a little chilly at night

probably my favorite time of year there

Old 08-17-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The rural areas of the northeast do not really have spectacular views that would draw people from outside, except maybe Niagara Falls
If you are including upstate NY in this (which I think you are as you have included Niagara Falls) I absolutely cannot agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or