U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:57 AM

128 posts, read 216,081 times

Advertisements

Fancied doing something different next year. I've been to the states many times and this year fancy a road trip. I'll probably be flying into Newark,NJ then get a car and head out round Pennsylvania or NY state for a week or so. I thought it would be nice to have a few days relaxing by a nice lake somewhere, does anyone have any recommendations as to areas I should be looking?

After that we'll probably head back to Newark, dump the car and have a few days in NYC. Any thoughts or comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 01:40 PM

5,537 posts, read 9,938,870 times
While there are plenty of lakes in PA, some of the ones in NY are better known and more scenic. Try the Finger Lakes region, Lake George, or Lake Placid in upstate NY.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:26 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,822,206 times
World's End campground in north central PA (more northwest than north central) is a very nice area.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,080,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisuk View Post
...head out round Pennsylvania or NY state for a week or so. I thought it would be nice to have a few days relaxing by a nice lake somewhere, does anyone have any recommendations as to areas I should be looking?

After that we'll probably head back to Newark, dump the car and have a few days in NYC. Any thoughts or comments?
By 'relaxing by a nice lake' do you mean beach/sun, swimming, boating, just sitting on a deck of rented cottage, etc.? A more defined list of 'lake wants' would help, imo.

Any of the Finger Lakes have almost zero beaches, and the motels are shabby at best; there are some ok guest houses.

Lake George is decent, Placid is big, almost mini sea-like, and is quite cold for swimming, even in summer.

Lake Wallenpaupack in PA is decent, with many rentals, though none cheap in 'season'.

NYC: have you been? What are your interests? Budget? and what is 'a few days'?

Not trying to be a jerk, but these open ended/very vague post 'questions' require some mind reading to offer solid suggestions and opinions.
GL, mD

Old 07-17-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
By 'relaxing by a nice lake' do you mean beach/sun, swimming, boating, just sitting on a deck of rented cottage, etc.? A more defined list of 'lake wants' would help, imo.

Any of the Finger Lakes have almost zero beaches, and the motels are shabby at best; there are some ok guest houses.

Lake George is decent, Placid is big, almost mini sea-like, and is quite cold for swimming, even in summer.

Lake Wallenpaupack in PA is decent, with many rentals, though none cheap in 'season'.

NYC: have you been? What are your interests? Budget? and what is 'a few days'?

Not trying to be a jerk, but these open ended/very vague post 'questions' require some mind reading to offer solid suggestions and opinions.
GL, mD
Sorry yeah I appreciate it was vague. Not looking for assistance with the NYC part I should have made that clear, I've been several times.

Re the lake I was meaning a holiday rental cottage/house for a few days (probably about 5 days, max a week ) from where we can swim, fish and do do some boating. It would also be good if it was within a short drive say 30-45 mins of somewhere with a few shops and restaurants where we can maybe go for a change for half a day or if the weathers not too good.

Thanks for the suggestions so far I'll take a look at those using google. I'll probably take the trip late June early July.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:17 PM

28,494 posts, read 62,136,122 times
I'd suggest that you focus on the towns and other attractions along the Hudson River Valley...
on your way to and later from the Adirondack Mountains

Old 07-18-2012, 09:52 AM

32,071 posts, read 32,968,461 times
I agree you should check out the lakes in Upstate NY.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:59 PM

Thanks all for the advice, gives me a reasonable starting point for planning things

Old 07-18-2012, 07:13 PM

5,691 posts, read 8,756,281 times
I, too want to vacation in this area. I like quaint villages, waterfalls, hiking and walking, sitting by the lake (or creek!). Swimming is nice but not essential. I don't mind shabby motels if they are in a great setting. Maybe do some camping where there is a bit of woods and privacy between the sites. What is the nightime temperature in mid August?

I like the photo of the gorge at Watkins Glen but can't decide if I want to go to the finger lakes or stay closer to the Hudson and Adirondaks. I'll have at most 2 weeks in the area.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:36 AM

28,494 posts, read 62,136,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
...can't decide if I want to go to the finger lakes or stay closer to the Hudson and Adirondaks.
I'll have at most 2 weeks in the area.
You can (and should) do both... but all three are distinct and worth allocating enough time for.
That will require more than one trip for most people. Two weeks is about the minimum to even
see the different areas let alone to explore in any significant detail.

Quote:
I like quaint villages, waterfalls, hiking and walking, sitting by the lake..
I don't mind shabby motels if they are in a great setting... Maybe do some camping...
Quote:
What is the nightime temperature in mid August?
Higher than January but altitude is the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or