Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:36 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

Please help this organization get the word out about the work they do and about how United Airlines needs training on how to treat people with disabilities and service dogs.

Disabled vet asks for public support, says airline workers kicked his service dog » DogHeirs | Where Dogs Are Family « Keywords: Service dog, military veteran, airport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
We've heard the allegation and now I'd like to hear what United Airllines says before making up my mind. I susggest others do the same.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Me too, though the current crop of say nothing canned 'responses' from most companies 'customer service depts' these days, is almost Orwellian, imo...
"We are reaching out to the customer directly to discuss the events that he described," a spokesperson for United...

Old 07-23-2012, 11:59 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
What do you expect? It's United.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:58 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
What do you expect? It's United.
I personally have had pretty good experiences with United.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,719 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Stuff happens (especially at IAD), PEOPLE react (on both ends); Then some cause (dogheirs.com) start tooting their horns... Facts get lost ...

Of Course the article dealt with the ABUSE to the dog... Not much about the serviceman, and certainly a 2 day delay is pretty tramatic for all, escpecially the disabled AND UA is in the hot seat already for many delays / issues.

I support an amiable (not caustic) resolution for all, and hope that happens. I won't be writing my Congressperson over this (and I'm a troublemaker / advocate for the ill treated). Trust this will be resolved BETTER without my intervention.

I'm on and International UA flight today. And yes, stuff happens (To all... indiscriminately, to best of PEOPLE's ability (Flight / counter / baggage crew))

Old 07-23-2012, 03:34 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
My issue with this, is that based on this article, the dog is NOT a service dog, a "service dog" performs an actual "service" for a person with a disability, such as a guide dog, who guides a blind person. This veteran states he has PTSD, that indicates to me, that this is a "therapy dog", and United Airlines IS NOT required to transport these dogs, as therapy dogs are not covered by the Department of Transportation, to follow the ADA law, passed by congress. The DOT has a separate law, that specifies a service dog, that actually does a service. A therapy dog is not performing a compensatory service.

Now, that being said, in the article, it states the dog was kicked by airline personell, that is inappropriate, however, if the dog was adaquately trained, by a school, the dog would have been close to his owner, seated. Which makes me question if this dog has a certifciate from a school, and has been trained appropriately. Many veterans get a dog, for comfort, state it is their "service" dog, and expect the same level of treatment, as someone with a guide dog, who has been trained for countless hours, and is certified as a service dog. The issue with this, is a myriad of problems, especially if someone has a large German Shepard, is this dog aggressive? There is no certification of comprensive training...from an approved school.

Just my two cents on this issue.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:03 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
this was not a comfort dog. Sarge is a certified service dog with appropriate saddle with all the proper id. This man and his wife run a foundation which helps place dogs with similar vets with disabilities. Many wounded vets have SERVICE dogs even if we cannot see the disability. Especially vets with traumatic brain damage and their dogs do provide a service. Many of these vets would not be able to even leave their homes without their service dogs.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:15 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
this was not a comfort dog. Sarge is a certified service dog with appropriate saddle with all the proper id. This man and his wife run a foundation which helps place dogs with similar vets with disabilities.
What Jasper is saying is that despite whatever the person says or claims, (and despite whatever vest, identifcation or card may have) under federal law/and regulations, the animal does not meet the definition of a Service Animal under ADA. US-DOT regulations require the airlines to obey the ADA definition and regulations. As a matter of fact, due to abuse, fraud, fakes, con artrist and a magnitude of other BSer's, emotional support type animals were specifically written out of the defintion of Service Animals. There are hundreds of organizations in the USA that assit people with Service Dog designation, many are just mail order supply houses that instructs you on how to pretend that your dog is a service anaimal.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:33 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
What Jasper is saying is that despite whatever the person says or claims, (and despite whatever vest, identifcation or card may have) under federal law/and regulations, the animal does not meet the definition of a Service Animal under ADA. US-DOT regulations require the airlines to obey the ADA definition and regulations. As a matter of fact, due to abuse, fraud, fakes, con artrist and a magnitude of other BSer's, emotional support type animals were specifically written out of the defintion of Service Animals. There are hundreds of organizations in the USA that assit people with Service Dog designation, many are just mail order supply houses that instructs you on how to pretend that your dog is a service anaimal.
Exactly, everyone is always quick to fire at the big mean company that employs tens of thousands of people, well I the case of united over 100,000. These evil large corporations don't care about anything.

There is almost certainly more tomthe story. I read that this particular dog was kicked off of 2 other flights before. This type of service dog is not a dog the DOT needs to allow aboard aircraft.

As tomthe kicking part that should never happen unless the dog became agressive in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel