U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 AM

160 posts, read 432,162 times

Advertisements

@shiver: Thanks for the tip on Albany. My child does have a passport but I want to avoid the hassle of going thru immigration.

As regards to where I want to stop, I split the trip of 800mi into roughly 2 parts. Given that I can't drive past 10p & wouldn't be starting no later than 2pm on the day of the drive, I've estimated that I'll be stopping somewhere close to Buffalo (between W Henreitta & Batavia NY).

@motordavid: Thanks for the tip on the speed limits.This year hasn't been good to me in terms of tix's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 06:02 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_junta View Post
@shiver: Thanks for the tip on Albany. My child does have a passport but I want to avoid the hassle of going thru immigration.

As regards to where I want to stop, I split the trip of 800mi into roughly 2 parts. Given that I can't drive past 10p & wouldn't be starting no later than 2pm on the day of the drive, I've estimated that I'll be stopping somewhere close to Buffalo (between W Henreitta & Batavia NY).
If you leave Boston at 2:00 pm you'll be hitting Albany at the peak of rush hour. I'm not sure you'll make it as far as you think by 10 pm. Once you get past Syracuse there isn't a single hotel I'd suggest anyone stay in (especially with a child) that's convenient to I-90 until you get to Victor on the east side of Rochester.

I'd suggest that you plan on spending the night in Syracuse either in the Carrier Circle area or off the Liverpool exit. Both are safe areas, although finding a room at the last minute without a reservation in Liverpool can be a challenge sometimes.

Quote:
@motordavid: Thanks for the tip on the speed limits.This year hasn't been good to me in terms of tix's.
Maybe you should just plan on slowing down and going the speed limit?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you leave Boston at 2:00 pm you'll be hitting Albany at the peak of rush hour. I'm not sure you'll make it as far as you think by 10 pm.
So, if I've to avoid Albany traffic then would starting by 1pm help?

Quote:
Once you get past Syracuse there isn't a single hotel I'd suggest anyone stay in (especially with a child) that's convenient to I-90 until you get to Victor on the east side of Rochester. I'd suggest that you plan on spending the night in Syracuse either in the Carrier Circle area or off the Liverpool exit. Both are safe areas, although finding a room at the last minute without a reservation in Liverpool can be a challenge sometimes.
So, are you suggesting that I totally avoid W Henreitta/Batavia - which is where I had to planned to halt for the night? Is victor a safe enough area for families to stay over? Any hotels that you would recommend in Carrier Circle/Liverpool/Victor.

Quote:
Maybe you should just plan on slowing down and going the speed limit?
I was hit with my first speed ticket this year (speed camera where speed comes down by 10mi suddenly) but the other ticket for my brake lights not working was plainly a scam. I didn't make my lights fail wanted. Warning perhaps was in order but a ticket...!!

Old 07-24-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_junta View Post
So, if I've to avoid Albany traffic then would starting by 1pm help?

So, are you suggesting that I totally avoid W Henreitta/Batavia - which is where I had to planned to halt for the night? Is victor a safe enough area for families to stay over? Any hotels that you would recommend in Carrier Circle/Liverpool/Victor.

I was hit with my first speed ticket this year (speed camera where speed comes down by 10mi suddenly) but the other ticket for my brake lights not working was plainly a scam. I didn't make my lights fail wanted. Warning perhaps was in order but a ticket...!!
If you leave at 1:00 pm you should be in Albany around 4:00. It's not a matter of avoiding that area, but rather I'm not sure you'll make it there by 10:00 pm. You'll need to stop for fuel, food, bathroom breaks, and you'll hit some traffic on 90 around Albany/Schenectady.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:44 PM

Point taken. Any alternate routes that you've taken when hit with peak hour traffic near albany enroute to western NY.

I see in gmaps that there's an exit to I-87 from I-90 when I get near to Albany. It comes back and connects to I-90 near Westmere / Dunes.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:01 AM

19,810 posts, read 19,905,205 times
The I-87 exit will allow you to avoid the few miles of slower /local traffic part of 90.
Plan on it.
I doubt you'll have a really bad time even if you hit peak hours.The local news usually shows any of the worst slowdowns 4/5 o'clock from those leaving Albany and going northeast to more popular suburbs.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:51 AM

One thing you might want to consider is booking rooms both in the Syracuse area and the Rochester area with a 6:00 pm day of check in cancellation policy. At about 5:30 you can cancel one based on where you are and how you are feeling.

When are you traveling? The two large draw events in NYS that might also cause some traffic congestion are the races (which shouldn't affect you) and the NYS Fair (which might).

Old 07-25-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
One thing you might want to consider is booking rooms both in the Syracuse area and the Rochester area with a 6:00 pm day of check in cancellation policy. At about 5:30 you can cancel one based on where you are and how you are feeling.
Are you a mind reader? I just did the exact same thing today morning

Quote:
When are you traveling? The two large draw events in NYS that might also cause some traffic congestion are the races (which shouldn't affect you) and the NYS Fair (which might).
I'm traveling on the 16th.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The I-87 exit will allow you to avoid the few miles of slower /local traffic part of 90.
Plan on it.
I doubt you'll have a really bad time even if you hit peak hours.The local news usually shows any of the worst slowdowns 4/5 o'clock from those leaving Albany and going northeast to more popular suburbs.
Thanks for taking the time to respond, old_cold. Appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or