U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:48 AM

160 posts, read 431,948 times

Advertisements

I'm going on a 4 day road trip from Boston -> Ann Arbor with an 8-yr old through I-90 next month.

I would like to know of cities/counties in NY, PA, MI on I-90 which 've speed traps setup that I should be aware-of. If you know or heard of such traps on I-90, please post them or PM me.

I'm looking for a decent hotel to halt for the night on the day I leave from Boston. Any motel/hotels that you would recommend to stay/avoid on I-90 would also be helpful.

I would also appreciate if you can let me know of any safety issues that I should be aware-of when driving through I-90 in the night.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 08:02 AM

56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Do you have a passport or an enhanced license? I only ask that, because going through Ontario may be an option if that is the case. When I was going to Michigan State from Syracuse, that's the way my family would go(pre 9/11 of course). i would think that it is a little bit faster as well.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:12 AM

I don't plan to go through canada. My plan is to just stay on I-90 all the way through to Ann Arbor.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:19 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,447,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_junta View Post
I don't plan to go through canada. My plan is to just stay on I-90 all the way through to Ann Arbor.
Probably better off that way. Last time I came back to the US from Canada, we sat at the border for well over 2 hours!

I used to travel I-90 in upstate NY quite a bit in the late 90s thru 2002 or so, and I never had any safety issues/concerns. As for hotels, I liked Hampton Inns. They were typically pretty clean and consistent.

Obviously, pretty dated info, but I used to often see speed traps between Rochester and Buffalo. That was the hotspot that I recall.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Probably better off that way. Last time I came back to the US from Canada, we sat at the border for well over 2 hours!

I used to travel I-90 in upstate NY quite a bit in the late 90s thru 2002 or so, and I never had any safety issues/concerns. As for hotels, I liked Hampton Inns. They were typically pretty clean and consistent.

Obviously, pretty dated info, but I used to often see speed traps between Rochester and Buffalo. That was the hotspot that I recall.
Google maps showed me that I could save 60mi going through canada but intuition told me that I would be better off avoiding immigration checks. Your comment just affirmed it!!!

Thanks for the info on the speed traps. Will definitely be on cruise control between the points you've mentioned.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:57 AM

I actually found this site: Speed Trap & Road Hazard Locations - Trapster when looking to find information on speed traps. Seems very useful & well used.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:56 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,272,681 times
Shodack, NY, is notorious for it's speed traps on 90. This town is just east of the Hudson River, south of Albany.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:37 AM

38 posts, read 73,429 times
Just an extra note on crossing the border.

It really helps to work out when you might be crossing the border. I've hit the Ontario border on a Friday evening and it took about an hour of waiting (e.g. hundreds of tourists off to Niagara Falls for the weekend.).

I've also crossed it on my way back on a Monday morning and at nights and I'll drive right up to the booth.

I've never crossed the border on the Michigan side of things but I've gone through the Quebec (Vermont and New York sides) border multiple times and never any wait, it's only really hitting the Niagara crowds at peak time I've ever had a stop. Any other borders without a tourists attraction right there, I never noticed any holdups.

Anyway, the point I was making is, if your likely to hit the border at 5pm on a Friday, skip it and go the other way. If you are hitting it at any off peak time, it would save you a lot.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:10 PM

613 posts, read 2,024,397 times
Quote:
Shodack, NY, is notorious for it's speed traps on 90. This town is just east of the Hudson River, south of Albany
Speaking of Albany, as you approach Albany on 90, the speed limit goes from 65 mph to 55 mph for a stretch. There are signs mentioning it, but lots of drivers just disregard the change. The state police love to hang out there. 80 in a 65 is one thing; 80 in a 55 is a way more serious offense.

Does your child have a passport? If you decide on going through Canada, I'm pretty sure he/she needs one too.

Do you know what area you plan on stopping for the night? Buffalo is like 8-8.5 hrs from Boston. Someone in the western NY forums will be able to answer hotel questions better, but hotel rates may be hiked up in that area because of the Niagara Falls tourist season so keep that in mind.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:18 PM

4,241 posts, read 8,078,290 times
The CDA potential route, even with luck on breezing through customs, may be the longer time, as the CDA speed limits across Ontario toward MI, are draconian...as in slow.

The cops are going to be out 'everywhere/anywhere' as it is really a revenue chase these days. The use of 'speed trap' sites is sort of like last week's newspaper, imo.

I see you have posted about a few tix; my advice is to never do more than ~14 over the posted limit, and 9 or less, over the limit is even better, as you risk careless driving/reckless driving and serious fines for higher speeds. Rolling with fast trucks may help as they tend to stay tuned in on the CB for cop reports...A good radar detector helps a little, if one is lucky, and not the lead car when the cop hits his instant on radar.

~800+ miles/13+ hours. A long day's drive...
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or