U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:56 PM

2,189 posts, read 4,715,756 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to travel to Vietnam real bad and I'm looking into it. I wouldn't travel until early next year, though.
The only reputable website I know of and have been using so far is this one:

Vietnam Experience Tour — Asia — Contiki Tours

It's 1379 Dollars for 12 days, which includes 3 short flights for 272 bucks. If you click on the blue "more" link, you can see the details.
Of course you would have to add the flight to Vietnam That's maybe another 1,000 Dollars. They also have this one:

Asian Adventure Tour — Asia — Contiki Tours

But that's Vietnam, Thailand, and Cambodia for 14 days.

I'm not sure if the prices are reasonable or not. I would feel a little better if it was like 200 Dollars less, considering that Vietnam is very cheap.

Maybe somebody knows of another reputable website. Traveling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 02:10 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,047,043 times
You can try this one:

Asia Tours - Asia Tours - Asia Adventure Travel - G Adventures

I glanced at it and saw a 10-day, Vietnam-only trip, but there are others that include other countries in Indochina. If price is a concern, you might want to consider alternatives or going alone, because those don't include airfare to/from Vietnam. I'm going there in December, and that ticket alone was on par with the costs of those tours.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
You can try this one:

Asia Tours - Asia Tours - Asia Adventure Travel - G Adventures

I glanced at it and saw a 10-day, Vietnam-only trip, but there are others that include other countries in Indochina. If price is a concern, you might want to consider alternatives or going alone, because those don't include airfare to/from Vietnam. I'm going there in December, and that ticket alone was on par with the costs of those tours.
Thanks. They have more choices. Some are cheaper, but you also get less. But at least you have the option.
Price isn't that much of a concern. I just want to pay a fair price and I'm wasn't sure if that was a reasonable price or not. I don't really want to go by myself. I've traveled alone before, but when I went by myself to developing countries such as Mexico, I was a walking target. Didn't feel really safe after what happened there. It's even worse when you don't speak the language. I don't know.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:17 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,710,138 times
Dude forget the tour companies just go, wing it, and have a good time.

Both Vietnam and Cambodia have a solid backpacker network and both have really developed their tourist infrastructure in recent years, you'll be fine. My wife and I have backpacked thru both before quite as many tourists started rolling in and we had no big problems despite neither of us speaking Vietnamese or Khmer. Right now if you stick to the tourist trail you'll find menus with French and English for you, easy to book tours from the lobby of any hotel, bars packed with Westerners (most with Aussie accents) and if you do get ripped off for a cab ride or something put it in perspective what did you just lose $10? Big deal.

When you are doing your own thing on your own time having arranged your own mototaxi to whatever site and see the herds of tourists being led out of their giant bus by a guy with a megaphone you'll be glad you didn't take that route.

Have fun, good luck.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:51 AM

15,545 posts, read 13,532,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

Both Vietnam and Cambodia have a solid backpacker network and both have really developed their tourist infrastructure in recent years, you'll be fine. My wife and I have backpacked thru both before quite as many tourists started rolling in and we had no big problems despite neither of us speaking Vietnamese or Khmer. Right now if you stick to the tourist trail you'll find menus with French and English for you, easy to book tours from the lobby of any hotel, bars packed with Westerners (most with Aussie accents) and if you do get ripped off for a cab ride or something put it in perspective what did you just lose $10? Big deal.

When you are doing your own thing on your own time having arranged your own mototaxi to whatever site and see the herds of tourists being led out of their giant bus by a guy with a megaphone you'll be glad you didn't take that route.

Have fun, good luck.
Agree 100% with this.

Forget those travel group/package things, go out on your own and explore as it is much better and your vacation is not hinged aorund the schedule of others. All these tour things do is package you up like a cow and drive you in a rush from place to place with no regard on what your interests are.

I think it is a bit too much money, plus you do not get to eat where you want nor when you want unless you pay out of pocket for it, and if you do not like your hotel, to bad unless you pay out of pocket for that.

I will never understand the appeal of the travel group/package thing, freakin boring and expensive.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:46 PM

It's easier to do this in developed countries than in developing/poor countries. Especially when you don't just go to city A but also want to get around by plane etc. Unless you know the language.
Going alone isn't as much fun as going in a group, though. But I would do it if I thought it was the best option. To me, it's really jsut the price because I think traveling in a group is fun.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:19 PM

15,545 posts, read 13,532,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
It's easier to do this in developed countries than in developing/poor countries. Especially when you don't just go to city A but also want to get around by plane etc. Unless you know the language.
Going alone isn't as much fun as going in a group, though. But I would do it if I thought it was the best option. To me, it's really jsut the price because I think traveling in a group is fun.
The final decision is of course yours, just as long as you have a good time the point of the trip is accomplished.

I have been throughout SE Asia and it is easy to get around; plane, bus, taxi; no problem, language is no problem, money does wonders for communication.

Going alone is great because you get to meet many people, and you are not stuck as a group with those who you do not like.

But whatever you do, please come back and tell the experience, and have fun!

Old 07-21-2012, 08:25 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,710,138 times
Again, language will not stop you from getting around by plane, train, or bus. Local/regional air routes cater heavily to Western tourists, their ticket offices will have someone with passable English. Furthermore you can usually book bus/train/flights right from your hotel or guesthouse they almost all have some sort of travel desk. If you're in Danang and want to get to Hanoi you go downstairs and tell guy at hotel, he shows you schedules, you pick, he gets on phone, 45 minutes later some dude arrives on a scooter with two tickets.

Don't worry about traveling alone when people book things to do it isn't alone. Say you in Laos and want to see the pretty water falls so book tour for that at your guest house. Next morning a van will pull up with 7-8 other people from various countries, often some traveling alone too. You'll be chit chatting with them the whole ride there and back, and you'll often see some of them again at the local bars, so instead of the herd of people in your tour group from your country you'll spend time traveling with a couple from France, two Israeli chicks, a hippie looking German, and an old dude from Australia. People also meet and socialize and common areas of places to stay.

Have fun.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jems28 View Post
If you travel in Asia,i think Thailand,Japan and singapore are best attractive tourist places and you can visit here.Really it is the best attractive tourist in Asia.
But I have an obsession with Vietnam.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:22 PM

4,485 posts, read 3,318,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

Have fun, good luck.
Agreed. Easy enough to get around even without much of the language. English is a very popular language for study in Vietnam and Cambodia, and if you are polite and not in too big a hurry eventually you can almost always find someone who can translate for you. Plus, mime goes a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or