U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:57 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,712,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I don't think its bizarre at all. iPhone, iPad, Macbook Air, two different digital cameras (I always carry a backup camera) and where do you plug all this into?
Obviously some of you have a whole different level of excessive electronic baggage, but either way how long does it take your stuff to charge where you need to pack a power strip? Can't you charge your computer overnight with your other devices plugged into its USB ports to charge as well? Do you really need to worry about recharging a "backup" camera?

I vote you bring a generator too, just in case there is no power for your power strip. Just buy some petrol and crank that thing up you can bring yet another camera in case the one on your phone, pad, primary, and backup all fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 06:24 AM

8,225 posts, read 14,937,379 times
I always pack:

a night light, the kind that goes on when the lights/electricity is off.

blister bandaids in my carryon

copies of my Rx (heart condition)

hearing aid batteries and reading glasses

sun hat & sun glasses

small hand crank flashlight (it fits in my small hand and because there's no heavy batteries, it weighs almost nothing)

and I never travel without ziploc bags, 5 small and 5 lg - you never know

Old 07-23-2012, 09:32 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,727,414 times
I did not know this would cause such contention...wow. I just think I need a power strip..so I don't forget any of my adapters in the plugs..all in one place.

I also recommend a few band aids...I never cut myself at home...on a trip...I always need a band aid...of course...some hotels will give you basic items.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:17 AM

5,798 posts, read 9,306,491 times
Absolutely a power strip! If you're staying in an older hotel and you've got more than one cell phone, a laptop and a camera battery charger, there just aren't enough outlets.

And for road trips: a fly swatter, and a spray can of bug repellant. Ziplock bags, and rubber bands. Small knife. And a canvas/cloth bag for all your maps and brochures so they don't end up on the floor in the car, or in a sticky, noisy plastic bag...

Old 07-24-2012, 05:19 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,835,555 times
I now own a VW camper van (simple, just bed and table, both can't be used at once).
I added a 4-drawer IKEA metal cabinet with an extension cord power strip (10 meters), my camera battery charger, miscellaneous light sources, adapters, etc. Curtains, travel books, snacks.
It's pathetic.
I can browse in campsites sometimes or watch movies in the rain.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:45 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,098,194 times
My new travel essentials are GoToobs for liquids in carry-ons.
humangear GoToob: Civilized, squeezeable, smart tube for travelling, outdoors and more.

I have had other bottles explode or leak in transit which have left me washing out plastic Ziploc bags in the shower so I can reuse it for my return trip. These bottles are phenomenal and worth the price.

Other essentials: a few Band-Aids for the cut I always seem to give myself when in a hotel room; Shout wipes (little moist cloths with the stain fighting shout soaked in it, really works on removing coffee stains and the like)

Old 07-24-2012, 01:01 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,553,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I did not know this would cause such contention...wow. I just think I need a power strip..so I don't forget any of my adapters in the plugs..all in one place.

I also recommend a few band aids...I never cut myself at home...on a trip...I always need a band aid...of course...some hotels will give you basic items.
OMG...bandaids!!!! If you're on a trip why would you want to cut yourself!!! I've never heard of such a thing!!

I'm always amused at what gets people stirred up.

For years I'd always forget something so now that we're traveling more, I pretty much have doubles of everything.
I keep one toiletry bag always packed.

Many times I wish I would have brought a sunvisor....I always end up buying one and now have a gagillion.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:50 AM

8,225 posts, read 14,937,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
OMG...bandaids!!!! If you're on a trip why would you want to cut yourself!!! I've never heard of such a thing!!

I'm always amused at what gets people stirred up.

For years I'd always forget something so now that we're traveling more, I pretty much have doubles of everything.
I keep one toiletry bag always packed.

Many times I wish I would have brought a sunvisor....I always end up buying one and now have a gagillion.
Ah yes, the sunvisors - I have red, blue, yellow, white, green, black, navy, striped, one with WDW, Barbados, Barcelona, St. Kitts, Hoover Dam, Cocoa Beach, Myrtle Beach - how ever can I pack to go to a beach/sunny location/cruise and NOT take at least one sun visor !! The family jokes as I give out sun visors to yet a different family member as a souvenir from every single trip.

Always a spare pair of glasses - used to be for both of us, now just for my husband (I have lens implants), but now I need reading glasses, and sunglasses to join the sun visors. For cruises, a sport-strap for glasses. I've seen people trip and the glasses go flying.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:58 PM

9,601 posts, read 17,182,874 times
Well an item that I remembered on the RTW trip and glad I did was a pair of wool socks. I usually used them at night for sleeping and it made a huge difference on whether I got some sleep on those chilly nights, but we camped a lot.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:28 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times
*Rope. About 20 feet of stout cord of natural fibers. And a spare long shoelace.
*A few spring clothespins.
*Scissors. Children's bluntnoseed scissors will do.
*Swiss Army knife. A cheap knockoff, multiblade.
*Magnifying glass,
*Flashlight, small Maglite.
*Plastic bags.
*A dish towel or Tea-towel. Compact and lightweight but a nice size for general purpose.
*Duct Tape. When you are down to about 2 feet on your roll, press it flat and toss it in your travel gear. Just because you're not at home doesn't mean you won't find things you can fix with duct tape.
*Coathanger, wire, opened and re-bent to fit your pack. A piece of fairly rigid wire can be a lifesaver.
*Bleach, in a tight-lidded pill bottle. A half-teaspoonful will make a liter of any water drinkable in an hour.

Most of the above will fit into a cheap plastic pencil box, to keep them all together in your pack. The ones Walmart sells for 10c each in their back to school sale. Put a few handi-wipes and bandaids and floss-sticks and a needle/thread in there, too.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-30-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or