U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:40 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,713,141 times

Advertisements

Power strip! Now...with all the devices that need charging..computer, cell phone, kindle...I realized a power strip needs to be an item in my travel suitcase.

Anyone else have an item to add?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 08:26 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,709,129 times
That is interesting I've never once wished I had a power strip, be it business or personal travel. Couldn't you attach your kindle to your computer while it is charging? Rotate them?

I think the only thing I've wished I had packed was an allergy med like claritin, but even that not a big deal.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
I found sunscreen to be seriously lacking in remote sunny areas of the world populated by the dark / olive skinned. Us ALBINOS are EZ to spot on day 2... (no longer WHITE, but RED, OUCH red..

There are a few 'odd things' I hate to be without... L-Lysine for canker / cold sores. Papaya Tabs for indigestion.

But I ALWAYS forget something and INCREASING forgetting more...

A non-locked WW SIM smart phone is getting CRITCAL. (but not too EZ to find / afford in USA).

A power strip is NOT on my top 100 of things to drag along, tho I can see where that TOO could be handy (where there is power...). Even in Bangkok last month my hotel was W/O power for a couple days.. weird, everything else was working nearby (traffic lights, other buildings...). many areas have FREQUENT brownouts, and a power strip MIGHT cause additional anquish, (thus I am not adding to my bag tonight, for another month away in parts (& electrical access) unknown).

I am finding it less critical to take TRANSFORMERS / plug adapters... than it was 20 yrs ago. AND it is NICE to be in 3rd and 2nd world countries and have MUCH better internet access than I have at home in USA, 13 miles from a metroplex of 1 million people. I can even balance my checkbook online from around the world... something I can't do at home...in the 'disconnected' USA.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:51 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,804,484 times
I usually forget stupid things like sunglasses or razors or hairspray.

I have never in my life packed a power strip - how bizarre.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:10 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,501,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post

My husband takes a power strip when he travels for work since he's got alot of stuff to plug in - he's also a full time grad student. He can't use his work cell or work laptop for personal use , and he isn't allowed to have a camera on his cells (so if he thinks he'll need one that's one more thing that needs power). He also packs a Nook, Ipod and white noise machine. He'd rather get everything charged up quick as he doens't like to leave thing sout in the open in the room....

I always make a note to myself to bring my glasses since I only wear them at night after i take out my contacts.....

One thing I do pack for my husband is a dental emergency kit. In fact, he had a crown just pop off around 10pm the night before this last trip!

Some places are much more stressful to pack for than others - I just returned from my third trip this year to Oahu. We always stay at Waikiki so I'm never but a few steps from the ABC store, LOL

Old 07-20-2012, 10:16 AM

32,071 posts, read 32,974,848 times
Rechargeable batteries (for use with my digital camera) and battery charger.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:34 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,804,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
My husband takes a power strip when he travels for work since he's got alot of stuff to plug in - he's also a full time grad student. He can't use his work cell or work laptop for personal use , and he isn't allowed to have a camera on his cells (so if he thinks he'll need one that's one more thing that needs power). He also packs a Nook, Ipod and white noise machine. He'd rather get everything charged up quick as he doens't like to leave thing sout in the open in the room....

I always make a note to myself to bring my glasses since I only wear them at night after i take out my contacts.....

One thing I do pack for my husband is a dental emergency kit. In fact, he had a crown just pop off around 10pm the night before this last trip!
Actually, on that note, I always pack at least one spare pair of contact lenses and take my prescription with me just in case

Old 07-21-2012, 01:47 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,657,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Power strip! Now...with all the devices that need charging..computer, cell phone, kindle...I realized a power strip needs to be an item in my travel suitcase.

Anyone else have an item to add?
I second the power strip advice. Moreover, be careful of the power strip you buy. I travel internationally quite often and, you have to make sure your power strip is 220V capable. Last year I went to Europe for 2 months and bought a power strip. Didn't check to see if it was 220V. I assumed it was, since most modern day appliances, laptops, cellphones, etc are dual voltage. I plugged my power strip into the wall and short circuited everything :-( I have recently purchased two, which are dual voltage.

Now for my addition, which may not mean much to many, however:

If you are planning an extended trip somewhere, toe and fingernail clippers. As I said, I was in Europe for two months and my toe nails started to get so long, they hurt. I purchased toe nail clippers in Germany for about 40 bucks (US). I could have gotten the same one's here, for half or less that.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:51 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,657,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post

I don't think its bizarre at all. iPhone, iPad, Macbook Air, two different digital cameras (I always carry a backup camera) and where do you plug all this into? Yes, you maybe alright here in the US. However, what if you are in France? Germany? How many travel converter's do you have with you?

Its much easier to bring one or two converters, plug your power strip into the converter, and plug all your electrical stuff into the power strip, then running around a hotel room in Innsbruck, trying to find all the different wall plugs. Which, aren't as many as you may find in the US.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:55 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,501,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I second the power strip advice. Moreover, be careful of the power strip you buy. I travel internationally quite often and, you have to make sure your power strip is 220V capable. Last year I went to Europe for 2 months and bought a power strip. Didn't check to see if it was 220V. I assumed it was, since most modern day appliances, laptops, cellphones, etc are dual voltage. I plugged my power strip into the wall and short circuited everything :-( I have recently purchased two, which are dual voltage.

Now for my addition, which may not mean much to many, however:

If you are planning an extended trip somewhere, toe and fingernail clippers. As I said, I was in Europe for two months and my toe nails started to get so long, they hurt. I purchased toe nail clippers in Germany for about 40 bucks (US). I could have gotten the same one's here, for half or less that.
Yikes, what kind of clippers cost $20. I've never paid anywhere near that for any that I've bought, I think I've spent maybe $10 of "fancy" tweezers....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or