Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,350 times

Advertisements

We're considering taking some canal tours in the UK. (Where you rent a canal boat and just putter along.) Wondered if any CD travelers have done it, experience or tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 01:02 PM

710 posts, read 3,391,295 times
I've done it; 20 years ago though. Had a great time up and down the canals around oxford. I'm sure much has changed since then, so i can't offer advice. It was fun, despite being caught in a low lock once or twice....

Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
No advice, but you absolutely must read Three Men in a Boat.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:37 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,103,591 times
We were recently looking at the canal trips - specifically renting a private "barge". I'd love to hear about others' experiences with either public or private boats.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:00 PM

326 posts, read 949,558 times
My in-laws just finished a barge trip. It was the two of them only and the barge was over 40 feet long and they had a little trouble running it with just the two of them and they're long time boat owners. They were untied from shore twice in the night during their week long trip. Apparently they only got about half as far as the rental company claimed they could. They had bad weather as well so I'm sure that was a factor. My mother in law said the barge itself was very nice. I think they were happy to have done it, but said they wouldn't do it again. Now they're happily ensconced back in London awaiting the Olympics. Lucky Ducks.
I would love to give it a try. My husband and I run yachts for other people and never get to just relax and enjoy our own boat trips.
Hmmmm, maybe we should hire ourselves out as barge crew?

Old 07-27-2012, 03:23 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
We're considering taking some canal tours in the UK. (Where you rent a canal boat and just putter along.) Wondered if any CD travelers have done it, experience or tips?
I had acquaintances that did it in Ireland, and they were thrilled with their experience.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForTheSea View Post
My in-laws just finished a barge trip. It was the two of them only and the barge was over 40 feet long and they had a little trouble running it with just the two of them and they're long time boat owners. They were untied from shore twice in the night during their week long trip. Apparently they only got about half as far as the rental company claimed they could. They had bad weather as well so I'm sure that was a factor. My mother in law said the barge itself was very nice. I think they were happy to have done it, but said they wouldn't do it again. Now they're happily ensconced back in London awaiting the Olympics. Lucky Ducks.
I would love to give it a try. My husband and I run yachts for other people and never get to just relax and enjoy our own boat trips.
Hmmmm, maybe we should hire ourselves out as barge crew?

I'd be really interested in knowing just what it was they had trouble with. I haven't had my own boat in many years and my husband would have to learn from me so knowing what the issues were would help us decide whether to do this at all.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:03 AM

326 posts, read 949,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I'd be really interested in knowing just what it was they had trouble with. I haven't had my own boat in many years and my husband would have to learn from me so knowing what the issues were would help us decide whether to do this at all.
The following is an excerpt of the e-mail I got from my MIL a few days ago, I hope it helps:

We finally have had 3 good days of weather. Last week we went on our canal barge trip. The boat was beautiful. It even had granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. Driving the boat was difficult. It is steered by a rudder and the turning center is in the middle. The boat was 48 feet long. The canal was barely wide enough for two boats to pass each other. We had to go thru 48 bridges with only about 1 foot on either side. Jim would get the front of the boat thru perfectly and then have to turn it half was thru because the front was heading for the cement side of the canal. We left the dock about 5 pm and got maybe a mile and the wind blew the boat into weeds and we couldn't get it out. We spent the night there and Jim didn't sleep because he was worried about driving. It did get easier. I became "pole girl" and ran up in the front with the pole every time we went thru a bridge or were passing someone. We got grounded several times. The boat had bow thrusters which were great. They got us out of many difficulties. The first full day we passed a bunch of 13 year old canoeists. One canoe tipped over and a kid was under it so Jim jumped overboard (in 3 ft. water) and flipped the canoe for him. Unfortunately he had 3 shirts, a jacket and jeans on. (He was cold, hence the 3 shirts.) The rest of the day we had laundry hanging from the boat, drying in the cool, cloudy weather. We stopped at several villages and ate. We never made it to the locks. On the last night we stopped at a public mooring point with 4 other boats. At 11 pm all of our boats were rocked. The men all went out with flashlight hunting the perps. Looked like an old Frankenstein movie. We all settled down and then at 1 am the boats were rocked again and when Jim went out he found that they had untied our line and we were drifting. Luckily one line was still tied up. Again the vigilanties went out. Some one call the police and we were told it happens a lot and it was kids celebrating their last day of school. All in all I'm glad we went on the trip but it was so much work, I don't think I'd do it again. We didn"t even get as far down the canal as their "leisurely mid-week break".

Old 07-28-2012, 11:44 AM

Thank you so much. The information about the mid-ship rudder was especially helpful as well as the bridge width issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel