U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,088 times

Advertisements

I think the best time to visit Ireland is summer.

The most popular and arguably the best time to tour Ireland is the summer.
Summer is great because
  • Ireland is just plain gorgeous during this time of year. Just think of your hotel's high-season rates as a cover charge for the great weather. Temperatures stay comfortably warm and breezy during the day and drop to that perfect light-sweater temperature at night. You'll still get caught in the rain, but it will be a bearable, if not pleasant and refreshing, experience.
  • It is the busiest tourist season by far, which can be a good thing. Towns that are lonely during the rest of the year bustle with visitors in summertime.
  • Summer is when all attractions are open and offer the longest hours; some attractions (mostly in smaller towns) abbreviate their hours or close completely during the off season.
But keep in mind
  • Every major attraction, hotel, and restaurant is likely to be jam-packed. If you'd rather escape crowds, this is not the time to go.
  • Lodging prices are at their highest during this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 01:07 PM

8,249 posts, read 11,113,390 times
Respectfully disagree. You can escape the crowds with a little imagination and planning.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:20 PM

7,550 posts, read 16,388,277 times
Cold is what you are used to, I am from Ireland and New Mexico is the coldest place I have been!

After you do all the touristy stuff in Dublin and whatever try and make a stretch back to Galway. If I was ever to move back home, Galway is is where I would be.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:43 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,306,470 times
I would suggest sometime in May. The days are as long as in July and Aug, but it will not be crowded at all. The only downside is the avg temp is 8 deg less in May than Jul or Aug (58 vs 66 deg), but heck---an 8 deg temp hit is a cheap price to pay in my opinion for far less crowds.

Heck, I'd gladly take a 30 degree temperature hit if it meant the difference between having the place to myself vs mobs of people, but that's just me!

Edit: Regardless of what time of year you go, be sure and invest in a full body rain coat w/hood! There is a reason why it is so green in Ireland, and I'd hate to have to stay inside in any kind of weather short of it being a safety issue (lightning, flash flood).

Old 08-02-2012, 06:07 PM

6,936 posts, read 7,259,613 times
August. Crowds and all.

Some excellent photos of Ireland: http://community.webshots.com/user/billmastersonireland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel