U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 10:16 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I thought you were flying sooner than that? Anyhow, then it's a different market. I'm in Dallas and fly out of Love Field. Wanna Get Away have always been cheap for me. Obviously that's not the case for your flight. No biggie. I always shop around, sounds like you do too. Take the cheaper flight.
I am flying sooner, the Wanna Getaway Fares were still posted for a trip about 10 days in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 10:38 AM

9,250 posts, read 10,900,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I am flying sooner, the Wanna Getaway Fares were still posted for a trip about 10 days in advance.
Yeah, I was just playing on the site. I looked at a flight I take often for a week from now and the lowest was $132 each way on Wanna Get Away. When I planned it for mid-September (which is how I always travel, barring an emergency) the lowest was $60 each way. That's a huge difference. Wanna Get Away is always offered (I did not know this) but the prices depend on when you're booking. I wonder what the difference would be if you were flying, say a month from now rather than a week.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:22 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Yeah, I was just playing on the site. I looked at a flight I take often for a week from now and the lowest was $132 each way on Wanna Get Away. When I planned it for mid-September (which is how I always travel, barring an emergency) the lowest was $60 each way. That's a huge difference. Wanna Get Away is always offered (I did not know this) but the prices depend on when you're booking. I wonder what the difference would be if you were flying, say a month from now rather than a week.
For business travel I can't usually book a month out. Which is why I've said all along that SW is fine for the occasional leisure traveler, but it is not generally a good choice for the frequent business traveler.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:27 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,416,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Why would a pilot's wife be concerned about fares (maybe a private pilot?) Even the ramp employees usually get pretty attractive flight benefits.
Sorry, I forgot I posted here. The pilot's wife travels for her work, so books business travel on her own. She obviously travels super cheap with him, but can't wing it for business travel like they do for pleasure travel. Also, we have work rules on booking flights, hotels, etc.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:48 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,977,460 times
I usually book Southwest. They're not always the lowest fares when I'm searching for flights but with the no-baggage fees, to me it's just easier. Last time I searched different airlines for baggage fees I got a bit frustrated because they differ so much, and some sites are easier to navigate than others.

I've also noticed that Souithwest runs on time better than most other airlines.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:16 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,315,441 times
Wanna get away, now, is a slick marketing ploy that doesn't really apply to this airline anymore.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:34 AM

772 posts, read 1,631,700 times
Southwest Rocks!!! In just the last 16 months, I have flown 8 times round trip from Philly to Fort Lauderdale this has earned me a enough rewards points that my next flight is gonna be free!! I usually book at least 8 weeks in advance. I keep checking on the price and what's super great is when the fare drops I can repurchase it for the lower price and receive a credit for my next flight and if I need to cancel I do it online (no need to call customer service!!!) and have the full purchase price/credit available for my next flight purchase. every other airline will charge me at least a $50 to $100 "change fee" I have paid as low as $141 RT but have never paid more than $205 round trip plus I usually bring two checked bags one being a locking cooler filled with shrimp and steak. I also have two carry ons with one being my laptop. As a plus it only costs $5 to use the inflight WiFi. If you are traveling domestically the price /convience factor can't be beat. If you really want a good seat splurge and spend the extra ten bucks to guarantee an "A" boarding pass If you have a boarding pass higher than B-30 you definitely will not end up in a middle seat. There are many reasons they are the number one domestic carrier in the good ole USA. low prices and two free baggage are just two of them!!!

Old 04-09-2013, 06:24 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,056,349 times
I'm also a huge SW fan, bigh110, and with the great fares I get, even adding $20 r-t to board faster, with my ever constant 2 suitcases/trip, I save a ton versus the nex lowest fares.

I also change my flights often as you do, to get credits when rates drop, and of course, I earn free trips fairly quick.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:43 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,571,630 times
I have never flown SW and don't understand how their general admission style boarding works. Is it just everyone making a mad dash to the line to get on the plane first? Does this mean you are more likely to get a middle seat if you aren't fast enough?

Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,056,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I have never flown SW and don't understand how their general admission style boarding works. Is it just everyone making a mad dash to the line to get on the plane first? Does this mean you are more likely to get a middle seat if you aren't fast enough?
No, the boarding passes are issued first come, first serve, with A 1-30 first, in order, than A 31-60, B 1-30, 31-60, C 1-30,31-60.

One can pay $10 extra per flight to have SW electronically grab your pass 36 hours before takeoff. When you print it, which TSA does not allow until 24 hours or less pre flight, you get that early number secured via SW..no matter when you print.

Frequent business fliers also are eligible for early passes.

Unlee you get worse than B30, you'll likely be able to get either a window or aisle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or