U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 02:55 PM

525 posts, read 783,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
One can pay $10 extra per flight to have SW electronically grab your pass 36 hours before takeoff. When you print it, which TSA does not allow until 24 hours or less pre flight, you get that early number secured via SW..no matter when you print.
$12.50 per way now, just booked last week and EB has gone up in price.

WN is the only airline that flies nonstop to my destination so they will have my biz as long as that is the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 04:32 AM

843 posts, read 1,376,975 times
SW is great for one-way flight.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:58 AM

318 posts, read 476,757 times
Some times the DING fares are lower than the competition but mostly the fares on Southwest Airlines are high.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:32 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,315,441 times
Once they started to go into, say, for example, Boston as well as Providence and Manchester, LaGuardia, instead of Islip and major airports like SFO, well, that's going to drive their operating costs up. Las Vegas to Phoenix advance purchase fare is 178 and they want to call that an Wanna Get Away fare?

Old 05-07-2013, 04:56 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
This debate reminds me a lot of the old MCI and AT&T rate wars of the 90s. AT&T overcharged customers as a monopoly for many years. MCI came in lower and took away a lot of market share. AT&T finally dropped prices and would always offer a plan just slightly less than MCI's so that they could claim rate supremacy.

Occasionally, I see a AA or UA fare for cheaper than WN. However, then I have to carry on my bag and work around all of their fees. More often than not, I will be placed a a no-name commuter jet with a less experienced pilot in more cramped quarters. And I will be treated as a leper as I no longer have the top status on their frequent flyer program. (And not to say the new $200 change fees that were announced a couple of weeks ago.)

No thanks.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,478,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Once they started to go into, say, for example, Boston as well as Providence and Manchester, LaGuardia, instead of Islip and major airports like SFO, well, that's going to drive their operating costs up. Las Vegas to Phoenix advance purchase fare is 178 and they want to call that an Wanna Get Away fare?

It would be better to just drive Vegas to Phoenix. That price is ridiculous for that short distance. I really think the airline industry is dying before our eyes. I just don't see how the airlines can continue operating as they are. I can't be the only one that looks for ways to travel besides flying.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:36 PM

4,011 posts, read 8,632,274 times
For the first time in 3 decades, I'm considering flying another airline into a market that Southwest also serves. The other two airlines are cheaper or same price, offer direct flights from my airport, AND have better arrival times. SW is no longer the cheap alternative. The only thing separating SW from other airlines now is the no baggage fees, and no fee to change flight. No checked luggage this trip, so the SW free bag is not an enticement. Dates are firm, so no need to change flight anticipated. I've been a loyal SW customer for 30 years, but sadly, that's about to change. I'm curious how many other SW customers have switched.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:54 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,093,885 times
For me Southwest still tends to be the cheapest airline for the routes that I travel the most often but I will check other airlines and go with the cheapest as long as it isn't Spirit. American seems like it is is trying to compete for the DC to South Florida route, they have had a couple of fare sales that put a trip under $100 to go from Baltimore to Miami. Also even though your dates are firm, keep in mind that the no change fee means that you can also re-book your ticket for the same flights to take advantage of a lower fare, something that has happened to me twice this year alone.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:14 PM

4,011 posts, read 8,632,274 times
I wish. I'm in ABQ and ever since the Wright Amendment expired, SW rates have skyrocketed out of ABQ, the number of direct flights to most markets have been significantly reduced. Shoot, half the daily flights to PHX have a connection . American offers more direct flights from here and matches SW prices. What's sad is when you can drive 2400 miles cheaper than you can fly.

I'm curious to see what the Feds have to say when their investigation of the airlines (SW included) is completed.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:43 AM

2,974 posts, read 3,954,136 times
Still a Southwest fan..................but their prices have definitely gone up to match others. Big plus as I see it is the free baggage and the ability to change, postpone or cancel my trip and rebook it in the next year without a charge.

The pre pay to get your seats is a gimick that appears to be working as I hit the button right on the minute or second of my flight time and more and more I am ending up in mid B territory...I gotta have a window or aisle........I am regular size but 9 out of ten times I get squeezed when forced to sit in the middle

Resurrecting old posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or