U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:08 AM

7,678 posts, read 16,089,040 times

Advertisements

Like any airline, they have their cheap and expensive routes and fare classes. If you're planning a trip to Las Vegas and can buy your tickets 3-4 months out, they've very competitive. Last minute purchases, they can be pretty terrible. Ended up pricing out Pensacola-Detroit a few weeks ago for a next day flight, and the Southwest option was $900+. American would have gotten the flyer there for $589 with far more and better schedule options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 03:00 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Like any airline, they have their cheap and expensive routes and fare classes. If you're planning a trip to Las Vegas and can buy your tickets 3-4 months out, they've very competitive. Last minute purchases, they can be pretty terrible. Ended up pricing out Pensacola-Detroit a few weeks ago for a next day flight, and the Southwest option was $900+. American would have gotten the flyer there for $589 with far more and better schedule options.
Or Southwest can be much lower ... pricing at $450 PHX-IND vs. $650 on American Airlines for a flight this week.

So, thw takeaway is to price all the options out for each flight and see who offers the best deal. And in addition, are their lower cost alternative airports in the vicinity.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,527 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Like any airline, they have their cheap and expensive routes and fare classes. ... Last minute purchases, they can be pretty terrible. ...
of course... the airlines that fly full planes have terrible last minute fares.

Any of the legacy carriers have PLENTY of s-p-a-c-e to add last minute travelers.

SWA would be the last place to look for last minute bargains, but they do happen in the event there are some cancellations. By booking on SWA you can CHANGE routing / flights for free up until the last 2 hrs.

Try that on a legacy carrier!

Old 09-15-2015, 04:30 PM

7,678 posts, read 16,089,040 times
Does Southwest hit you up with the far difference between new and old flights? Because going from a flight you booked on a Wanna Get Away fare to one where those are sold out can be a $300 difference on that flight.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Does Southwest hit you up with the far difference between new and old flights? Because going from a flight you booked on a Wanna Get Away fare to one where those are sold out can be a $300 difference on that flight.
yes, you pay the current fare...

so... you find the cheapest fare for the moment (probably not SWA if last minute change), and you BUY another ticket, then you change your SWA for another flight and another itinerary / destination, or... bank it (no fees!).

I keep at least 10 open tickets all the time, so using my SWA credits is not a problem.

If I have SHORT notice flights, I use air miles. I keep a few hundred thousand of those in my accounts. Basically, I value them at $300 per USA RT and $500 for Europe RT. If I can buy a fare cheaper, I do, and save the miles for emergency / donating to others who have emergency travel needs.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:34 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,067,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
yes, you pay the current fare...

so... you find the cheapest fare for the moment (probably not SWA if last minute change), and you BUY another ticket, then you change your SWA for another flight and another itinerary / destination, or... bank it (no fees!).

I keep at least 10 open tickets all the time, so using my SWA credits is not a problem.

If I have SHORT notice flights, I use air miles. I keep a few hundred thousand of those in my accounts. Basically, I value them at $300 per USA RT and $500 for Europe RT. If I can buy a fare cheaper, I do, and save the miles for emergency / donating to others who have emergency travel needs.
Right, the difference is that to do the same thing on Delta, United, etc in addition to the fare difference, they hit you up for another $200.

For those who fly SW often.. I'm curious about this.. How accommodating are they with name changes? I mean, obvious name mistakes, like the name on the ticket is Mark when it should have been Marc or something like that? Obviously, they're not going to let you change the name from Bob Jones to Pat McGroin..

Old 09-17-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
For those who fly SW often.. I'm curious about this.. How accommodating are they with name changes? I mean, obvious name mistakes, .....
I have an easily confused name, and have never had a problem (yet). on SWA or any other carrier
I do wish they let you change 'travelers' when you change tickets.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:27 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,093,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Right, the difference is that to do the same thing on Delta, United, etc in addition to the fare difference, they hit you up for another $200.

For those who fly SW often.. I'm curious about this.. How accommodating are they with name changes? I mean, obvious name mistakes, like the name on the ticket is Mark when it should have been Marc or something like that? Obviously, they're not going to let you change the name from Bob Jones to Pat McGroin..

They are pretty accommodating, this recently happened to me. I booked a ticket for a friend realized that I had misspelled his last name when I was trying to rebook his ticket because the fare went down. At first I tried cancelling the ticket and rebooking in the correct name using the credit but that wasn't allowed. I had to book the new ticket in the incorrect name, then call Southwest to tell them about the error and they changed it to the correct name with no hassle

Old 09-18-2015, 02:20 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,829,223 times
Southwest is no longer a lower cost airline. On a lot of their routes a Delta/United/AA/Legacy ticket is on average about the same price. Sometimes a little higher, sometimes a little lower, but there isn't usually a big gap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or