U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 02:53 PM

15 posts, read 81,771 times

Advertisements

I will be flying into Paris early September and out of Munich the end of September. Ive traveled all over the eastern and middle of France but haven't ever ventured western France. I will be in Munich for the Octoberfest opening ceremonies. I am planning to take a train from France (prob Paris) to Munich.

I have about 10 days before heading to Munich, so I was wondering if any of you have anything interesting to report that is not touristic. My French and German are so-so, and I love to learn from the locals. I like adventure as well as history and really love the foods of Europe.

Please share any of your experiences.

Merci/Danke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 10:23 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,833,048 times
Get a tour book.
The area is lovely.

Check out the Loire valley.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:52 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,925,492 times
A few years ago we made a point of visiting part of western France, because we had never been. We really liked it, especially Nantes. If you don't go anywhere else, go to Nantes.

I agree with Chielgirl about the Loire Valley, we were there and loved it. Saumur, Amboise, Fontevraud Abbey (burial place of the Plantagenets), the gardens of Villandry, the magnificent chateaux.

Our itinerary was something like this:

From Paris we took the TGV to Angoulême. This place was un-touristy, and interesting, because this medieval town up on a hill has become a center for an international comics festival, which takes place every January.
You'll be walking around these ancient ramparts, and suddenly come across a mural on the side of a building.
I guess you have to see it to understand it, it was sort of surreal, but cool.

We did visit Oradour-sur-Glane, but I know you said you were interested in places besides WWII history.

We then chugged up the western coast, through Cognac, to La Rochelle, and spent several nights on Île de Ré, which was well worth it. After that we began heading north.

Southwest France is gorgeous as well, the Dordgone region with Sarlat le Caneda, Cahors wine, the caves, etc. Toulouse is wonderful to visit.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:20 PM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
I suggest you visit Mont St. Michel Island:
Site officiel de l’office de tourisme du mont saint michel - Home page

Old 07-29-2012, 02:45 PM

8,255 posts, read 11,121,603 times
I spent a magical week in Brittany but if you aren't into Arthurian legends a lot will be lost on you. As was suggested, get a guidebook.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:00 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,925,492 times
We were in Mont St Michel too--get there VERY EARLY to avoid the crowds (we did and it was worth it.)
We loved Brittany but we were not in the far, far west, we went north from Nantes.
St Malo, Cancale, Perros-Guirrec. The Pink Granite coast was relaxed and un-touristy. I took this picture in Plougrescant:
http://i.imgur.com/sI03L.jpg

Old 07-29-2012, 04:36 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,337,177 times
La Rochelle and the Ile de Re are very well worth visiting too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel