Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:48 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am planning a trip to SF in a few months. Can anyone recommend a good hotel location where i can walk around and use public transportation to get around? A hotel that is reasonably priced. I really don't want to rent a car. I will take a taxi from the airport(SFO Int Airport) to the hotel. Also, recommendations on restaurants and places to see. I haven't been to SF in 20yrs, so i'm sure alot has changed. I don't remember much back then except Fisherman Wharfs and Lombard St. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 06:54 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,384 times
You definitely don't want a car. We were there in May, and we stayed downtown, in the Donatello Hotel. Very central, close to cable cars, buses and the tourist streetcar. But it's downtown, not up around Fisherman's Wharf, so you need to think about location. We liked the hotel, paid about $200 a night, so not dirt cheap, but nice. We got 2-day transit passes and went everywhere on the bus, streetcar and cable cars. Found some walking tours as well, that were free, although tips were requested at the end.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:40 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Depending on what time you arrive at SFO, take the BART into SF. At $8.20 it is much cheaper than a taxi.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Take BART / Streetcar from SFO. Get a tourist transit pass while in the city)

Stay at Hostel @ Ft Mason (very near wharf / Marina District), Safeway across street and FREE parking if you have a car.
go on FREE library sponsored walking tours. (Lots of FREE and FUN in SF)

Get some local advice on food, avoid the usual spendy places in the main areas, (Decent food court in basement of Nordstrom / Bloomingdale?)

Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I suggest you visit the Cable Car Museum which shows the working of the famous SF cable cars. The Cable Car Museum is located near SF's Chinatown which is the largest Chinatown in the USA.

For more suggestions you might also want to post this also on the San Francisco forum.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:00 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
SF is a very walkable city so you definitely don't need a car. Public transport is decent but I never found much need to use it other than getting to and from the airport. In the city, taxis are an okay option and not too expensive.

Check hotels dot com for availability and prices. Prices fluctuate quite a lot depending on time of year and whether anything is on in the city. If you choose your time carefully then you can get a pretty decent hotel for not too much money. I usually stay in the Union Sq. area. Tons of hotels around there and you can often find a deal.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:31 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
The Hilton at Fishermans Wharf offers good bang for the buck. Hostels and lower end accomodations in SFO can be dodgey.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:08 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Hi,
I am planning a trip to SF in a few months. Can anyone recommend a good hotel location where i can walk around and use public transportation to get around? A hotel that is reasonably priced. I really don't want to rent a car. I will take a taxi from the airport(SFO Int Airport) to the hotel. Also, recommendations on restaurants and places to see. I haven't been to SF in 20yrs, so i'm sure alot has changed. I don't remember much back then except Fisherman Wharfs and Lombard St. Thanks.
You might consider staying at "Travelodge By the Bay" on Lombard Street. Its about 3 or four blocks from the Wharf. Its an easy walk. Its downhill. Its easy to find this hotel. Its at the junction of Van Ness and Lombard Streets. Van Ness is US 101 until it reaches Lombard Street. Than, Lombard Street becomes US 101.

If you stay there, you are a short (uphill) walking distance from the top of the crookest street in the world. Just follow Lombard up the steep hill about 3 blocks. Its fun to see cars navigate the curves in this street. Its a good photography spot.

Here are some other things to do:

1. Make a reservation to go out and visit Alcatraz Island.

2. Go drive over and visit Coit Tower. Its maybe a mile from the hotel. Pay the fee to go to the top.

3. The motel is about three blocks from Ghiradelli Square. Go down there and get one of the best ice cream sundaes in this world. Its right on the wharf too.

3. Eat dinner at Alioto's on the wharf. Very good seafood. Expensive, of course.

4. Take a walk along the length of the Golden Gate Bridge. Windy, but fun.

5. Drive over the Golden Gate Bridge and head just a few miles north to the John Muir Woods. This is a beautiful grove of large redwood trees.

6. Just walk along the wharf. Stop wherever you want for lunch and coffee.

7. If you have time, take the ferry over to Angel Island and just walk around the island and enjoy yourself.

8. Go to Golden Gate Park. Whatever you do, don't miss the Japanese Tea Garden.

9. If you like Italian food, have lunch at Original Joe's which I understand is now on Mission Boulevard (used to be in North Beach).

Hope all that helps!

Old 08-03-2012, 01:14 AM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
9. If you like Italian food, have lunch at Original Joe's which I understand is now on Mission Boulevard (used to be in North Beach).
Good advice, except that Original Joe's is now located on Washington Square at 601 Union Street (between Stockton and Columbus). Reservations strongly advised (415-775-4877). Don't miss their hamburgers; they're phenomenal!

Old 08-03-2012, 07:46 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Or, if you are a staunch conservative like me, REFUSE to support the most liberal, self serving, disgusting city in the country. SF doesn't deserve anything, except to have a giant chain saw, cut it, and allow it to sink into the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel