U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2012, 01:42 PM
 
Location: usa
873 posts, read 1,356,284 times
Reputation: 313

Advertisements

I'm in my mid20s and I'm looking to take a vacation with my s/o(mid 30s) in october. I want something relatively low cost and preferably near a beach. I've been to the northeast and midatlantic(where I'm from). I was thinking Mexico, but I forgot about hurricane season. Suggestions please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
 
Location: on an island
13,382 posts, read 40,909,074 times
Reputation: 13245
You could take your hurricane chances and come southeast. October is a glorious time of year in both northwest as well as northeast Florida, where I am, probably my favorite month here. The water is still plenty warm for swimming, but the temps have cooled down and all the kids are back in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 02:52 PM
 
9,251 posts, read 10,902,720 times
Reputation: 9891
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
I'm in my mid20s and I'm looking to take a vacation with my s/o(mid 30s) in october. I want something relatively low cost and preferably near a beach. I've been to the northeast and midatlantic(where I'm from). I was thinking Mexico, but I forgot about hurricane season. Suggestions please?
My s/o and I went to Cabo San Lucas, MX in June and loved it. That part of Baja doesn't seem to take many direct hits by storms, so I think you would be OK. There are tons of affordable packages out there. We used Funjet as they beat the competitors for our trip. Everything went smoothly and we had a ball. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2012, 08:59 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
18,640 posts, read 23,224,516 times
Reputation: 48770
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
You could take your hurricane chances and come southeast. October is a glorious time of year in both northwest as well as northeast Florida, where I am, probably my favorite month here. The water is still plenty warm for swimming, but the temps have cooled down and all the kids are back in school.
I would agree! I love October in Florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2012, 08:33 AM
 
Location: southwest TN
8,224 posts, read 14,921,460 times
Reputation: 14983
I love Florida from October through end of April only during school times! We went to Cocoa Beach one October and it was heavenly but nights were pretty chilly, actually. Maybe this year again.

You could also look into a cruise from a port near you. Bahamas is generally an inexpensive cruise. Look at Carnival for the most bang for your buck and don't be afraid of an inside stateroom.

Other places: Jersey shore area. While the water will be a bit chilly, the beaches are still excellent. And if you go to Atlantic City and stay off the boardwalk, out of the casinos, you'll find it's very affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2012, 10:45 AM
 
Location: usa
873 posts, read 1,356,284 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
You could take your hurricane chances and come southeast. October is a glorious time of year in both northwest as well as northeast Florida, where I am, probably my favorite month here. The water is still plenty warm for swimming, but the temps have cooled down and all the kids are back in school.
i LIVE IN THE SOUTHEAST...so florida is looking good...maybe south carolina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 AM
 
Location: usa
873 posts, read 1,356,284 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
My s/o and I went to Cabo San Lucas, MX in June and loved it. That part of Baja doesn't seem to take many direct hits by storms, so I think you would be OK. There are tons of affordable packages out there. We used Funjet as they beat the competitors for our trip. Everything went smoothly and we had a ball. Good luck!
probably not going to do mexico. I've discovered that I'm on a budget so looking for something close to home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2012, 10:54 AM
 
Location: usa
873 posts, read 1,356,284 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I love Florida from October through end of April only during school times! We went to Cocoa Beach one October and it was heavenly but nights were pretty chilly, actually. Maybe this year again.

You could also look into a cruise from a port near you. Bahamas is generally an inexpensive cruise. Look at Carnival for the most bang for your buck and don't be afraid of an inside stateroom.

Other places: Jersey shore area. While the water will be a bit chilly, the beaches are still excellent. And if you go to Atlantic City and stay off the boardwalk, out of the casinos, you'll find it's very affordable.
a cruise is a good idea...maybe next year!
I was thinking about doing something up north since she hasnt been before and I'm from there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2012, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
1,860 posts, read 4,440,506 times
Reputation: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
i LIVE IN THE SOUTHEAST...so florida is looking good...maybe south carolina?
Depends on what you want to do for visiting South Carolina. Personally, October is my favorite month of the year here weather-wise. Warm days (70s-80s) & cool nights (50s-60s). We have gone to the beach the first/second weekends of October and on into the water, the water is plenty warm enough, but as the month progresses the air sometimes isn't quite warm enough to hop into the water. If you are more interested in sight-seeing, golf, just chilling at the beach or pretty much any other outdoor activity though, it is an awesome time of year to visit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2012, 11:38 AM
 
Location: southwest TN
8,224 posts, read 14,921,460 times
Reputation: 14983
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
a cruise is a good idea...maybe next year!
I was thinking about doing something up north since she hasnt been before and I'm from there
up north - how about New England for the foliage. I don't know when it's predicted this year. Take a drive up the coast, Ct - stop in at Mystic (whaling seaport), take a ferry to Block Island, go to RI's south shore drive up Route 1 through Narragansett and into Wickford or take the bridge over to Jamestown and even drive through Newport (do NOT plan to stay overnight there - $$$$$), head on up to Boston or out to the Cape.


I don't know what "budget" means to you or how many days you'll have.

There's still time for a cruise this year. I just got some incredible bargains in e-mail. 50% off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top