U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 AM

38,022 posts, read 55,817,679 times

Advertisements

1. A passenger of Air Canada Jazz was asked to leave the plane because of offensive body odor
2. Most airlines including Delta say ditching your shoes on a plane is a ground for ditching YOU. ( JetBlue says "no" to going barefoot, too, unless you"re age 5 or younger). Even on long trips overseas.
3. United will not accept infants under 7 days old, US Airways will take a baby one day old.
4. In an emergency you need to share your oxygen mask with your pet ( if is traveling with you)
5. Nowadays most airlines can't guaranty that families will be seated together, but Virgin America's contract of carriage promises they "will not separate a service animal from its owner."
6. No "mistake fares" or super deals with Delta, who announced that they "reserves the right to correct any erroneously published fare that Delta did not intend to offer for sale."
7. No "free hotel" with Delta: if a flight is cancelled or diverted, and you are near your home - you need to drive home ( and come back again ) even 50+ miles one way...
8. We all know that all US airlines ban smoking... even an electronic cigarettes, or chewing betel nuts.
9. Watch what you wear: American says it can throw you off the plane if you "are clothed in a manner that would cause discomfort or offense to other passengers", so think twice before wearing that favorite T-shirt with printed obscenities. Virgin America even says: we refuse to transport "any guest who is not wearing both top and bottom apparel." So, certain Walmart shopper are not allowed to fly
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 08-03-2012 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 09:14 AM

6,936 posts, read 7,263,577 times
I travel a lot, and our views on these are different. I don't see one I think is "crazy."

Old 08-03-2012, 09:14 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
1. A passenger of Air Canada Jazz was asked to leave the plane because of offensive body odor
Not crazy, smart.

Quote:
2. Most airlines including Delta say ditching your shoes on a plane is a ground for ditching YOU. ( JetBlue says "no" to going barefoot, too, unless you"re age 5 or younger). Even on long trips overseas.
That's what socks are for. I usually get on a plane in sandals (I live in Florida) and once in the air change into socks for the rest of the flight.

Quote:
3. United will not accept infants under 7 days old, US Airways will take a baby one day old.
Airlines shouldn't accept a baby under three weeks old. but then again they also shouldn't allow children under three (or 40 pounds) to not be in an FAA approved car seat.

Quote:
4. In an emergency you need to share your oxygen mask with your pet ( if is traveling with you)
Not always true. There are four oxygen masks for every three seats in coach, three for every two seats in first.

Quote:
5. Nowadays most airlines can't guaranty that families will be seated together, but Virgin America's contract of carriage promises they "will not separate a service animal from its owner."
If a child is old enough to get on a school bus alone they are old enough to take a three hour flight alone. A service dog is required to assist a disabled passenger. Big difference. (Also federal law.)

Quote:
6. No "mistake fares" or super deals with Delta, who announced that they "reserves the right to correct any erroneously published fare that Delta did not intend to offer for sale."
Look at the fine print in all circulars for grocery stores and department stores. Same thing.

Quote:
7. No "free hotel" with Delta: if a flight is cancelled or diverted, and you are near your home - you need to drive home ( and come back again ) even 50+ miles one way...
That's the same with every carrier. If you are at your originating point, you don't get a hotel. Why should you?

Quote:
8. We all know that all US airlines ban smoking... even an electronic cigarettes, or chewing betel nuts.
A small amount of nicotine is emitted in the vapor of electronic cigs which is why they are banned by the DOT. I have never seen reference to Betel nut or chaw use on domestic flights in contracts of carriage, please provide links.

Quote:
9. Watch what you wear: American says it can throw you off the plane if you "are clothed in a manner that would cause discomfort or offense to other passengers", so think twice before wearing that favorite T-shirt with printed obscenities. Virgin America even says: we refuse to transport "any guest who is not wearing both top and bottom apparel." So, certain Walmart shopper are not allowed to fly
[/quote]

And you think that's a problem? Personally it would do the airlines a world of good to get certain passengers back onto Greyhound where they belong.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:20 AM

38,022 posts, read 55,817,679 times
OK.. I didn't meant crazy as negative, more like crazy, because not may travelers heard about them.
Goign to change the unfortunate title of this thread...

uff... I don't think any of those are a problem - chill out... that's just abcnews
http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/13-secr...4#.UBvtfU2PVRM
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 08-03-2012 at 09:31 AM..

Old 08-03-2012, 09:32 AM

8,594 posts, read 11,085,198 times
All are good except that #6 is now wrong. The FAA ruled that if it's for sale, purchased and issued, it's valid.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:40 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,809,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That's the same with every carrier. If you are at your originating point, you don't get a hotel. Why should you?

What if you had to drive 3+ hours to get to the airport? And if the cancellation is the airline's fault? Then yes, they should pony up at least a minimal amount for accommodation, say $50. Especially if they already checked your luggage and won't give it back so you have to go shopping for toiletries and a change of underwear.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:46 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
What if you had to drive 3+ hours to get to the airport? And if the cancellation is the airline's fault? Then yes, they should pony up at least a minimal amount for accommodation, say $50. Especially if they already checked your luggage and won't give it back so you have to go shopping for toiletries and a change of underwear.
The majority of cancellations aren't the airlines fault, they are due to weather or ATC issues. I live about an hour from the airport, and yes it can be a pain to go back home, but that's the breaks. Where do you draw the line? 15 minutes? One hour? Three hours? Six hours? If they had to offer a hotel room to everyone on the plane every time a flight was cancelled whether it was something under their control or not, you'd see airfares go up even higher.

I don't care if I'm flying to and from a meeting in one day without an overnight, I still bring a clean shirt and change of underwear plus toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush, deodorant, and make up with me in my briefcase. To not take the bare minimum of basics in your carry on is plain old foolish.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:37 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,809,789 times
I'm not talking about when it's not the airline's fault, I'm talking about when it is. And subsequently I'm not saying they HAVE to offer assistance with hotel rooms, I'm saying it would be nice if they did. Thankfully some airlines do have the courtesy to at least offer or ask if people want help with accommodation. So many airlines treat their customers like a huge imposition on their time as it is.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:25 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,188,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
All are good except that #6 is now wrong. The FAA ruled that if it's for sale, purchased and issued, it's valid.
Up to a certain point, yeah.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:29 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,869,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I'm not talking about when it's not the airline's fault, I'm talking about when it is. And subsequently I'm not saying they HAVE to offer assistance with hotel rooms, I'm saying it would be nice if they did. Thankfully some airlines do have the courtesy to at least offer or ask if people want help with accommodation. So many airlines treat their customers like a huge imposition on their time as it is.
Fly First Class, they always have folks helping to rebook or get accomodations. If you pay for limousine service, you get limousine service... if you pay for cling to the top of a rail car, thats the service you get.

The majority of cancellations are due to items outside the airlines control. Many times what looks like a airline cancellation is actually due to something outside their control somewhere else that had a domino effect.

You also have to rememebr that the level of service an airline provides is directly the result of what passenegers say they want for service. It's not the airline's fault that passengers overwhelmingly prefer that fares be kept low or lowered even at the expense of service. I bet if an airline openly hired rude and annoying staff, they would still have customer flocking to them with that horrible service if they lower the price below the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or