U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 05:05 PM

14,248 posts, read 14,137,087 times

Advertisements

As an ex-pat when living in the US, strictly speaking I was supposed to carry my passport at all times, if I recall correctly.

Living in Texas we had to ensure that we had our passports when travelling to places like South Padre Island. The island is part of the US but there are border controls within the State. Similar situation round Big Bend NP.

Some Brit friends of ours were caught out by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 07:20 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Bottom line, to get into Canada:

Quote:
Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card (see below) satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.
So yes, you and the children will all need valid US passports.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:39 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,095,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Bottom line, to get into Canada:

So yes, you and the children will all need valid US passports.
So no,

"Children 16 years old or younger may enter Canada with only a birth certificate (original) or a naturalization certificate/citizenship card.
Groups of U.S. citizens ages 16 to 18 may enter Canada with a birth certificate (original) or a naturalization certificate/citizenship card if they are traveling for religious, school, sport or other organizational reasons. Children must be accompanied by an adult.

funny, I can take my grandkids to Canada (age 5 & 9) with out passports and got back into the us with out any problems.
Customs just briefly looked at the documents. They seamed more concerned with our dogs papers, rabies vac and if they went with the dogs we had. and that was just this spring.

Last edited by snofarmer; 08-05-2012 at 07:48 AM..

Old 08-05-2012, 09:24 AM

7,143 posts, read 5,416,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
So no,

"Children 16 years old or younger may enter Canada with only a birth certificate (original) or a naturalization certificate/citizenship card.
Groups of U.S. citizens ages 16 to 18 may enter Canada with a birth certificate (original) or a naturalization certificate/citizenship card if they are traveling for religious, school, sport or other organizational reasons. Children must be accompanied by an adult.

funny, I can take my grandkids to Canada (age 5 & 9) with out passports and got back into the us with out any problems.
Customs just briefly looked at the documents. They seamed more concerned with our dogs papers, rabies vac and if they went with the dogs we had. and that was just this spring.
Ok, so I'll get a passport. I'm glad I don't have the extra expense of getting the kids one right now.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:17 PM

39,534 posts, read 47,711,196 times
Here are Canadas complete set of rules and regulations. This should answer all questions about entering Canada.

Canada

Old 01-22-2016, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 418 times
I was wondering if my 16 yo grandson could travel with me to Canada with his military ID, my son is a WANG(Washington Air National Guard) pilot. I'd rather not have to take his original birth certificate with us and he doesn't need a passport.
Thanks.
Lyn, Seattle, WA

Old 01-22-2016, 12:39 PM

9,126 posts, read 17,133,831 times
You will need a letter from your son allowing you to take him out of US

Documents Needed for Traveling With Grandchildren

He (Grandson) needs some form of ID, (A passport is good for 10yrs, or Secure Drivers Licence ) and living in Washington State there could be many trips to Canada in his future.

http://www.dhs.gov/secure-drivers-licenses

Canada

Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.

Last edited by flyonpa; 01-22-2016 at 12:48 PM..

Old 01-23-2016, 02:16 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,455,107 times
If you are an American and for some reason arrive at an American border without a passport the border guards obviously cant refuse you entry but they will pull you aside until you and your party have demonstrated to their satisfaction that you are indeed American citizens,an inconvenient and frustrating process that can take hours.
Just get a passport..

Old 01-23-2016, 05:12 AM

13,880 posts, read 7,391,112 times
For a Michigan resident, just get the enhanced drivers license.

For someone who thinks they'll never get on a jet and fly internationally and doesn't live in one of the short list of states with an enhanced driver's license option, a passport card is cheaper and works fine getting into Canuckistan and Mexico by car.

I have both a passport and a passport card as a "just in case" I lose my passport. It also allows me to renew my passport and still be able to drive into Canada.... something that happens all the time. I keep a few spare credit cards along with my passport card as part of my "reconstruct my wallet" kit. My driver's license is issued in a state where the TSA is threatening to not honor it as a government photo ID so I toss the passport card in my wallet when I'm flying domestic flights just-in-case.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:26 AM

409 posts, read 429,471 times
To all the people who are responding that passports are valid for ten years I'd like to remind you that's only true for adults. Children under 18 need to get passports every 5 years. We've had to have two panicked expiditied passports issued because we forgot to check the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or