U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:31 AM

9,130 posts, read 17,167,980 times

Advertisements

16+ is good for 10years.

I "Timed" my son 1st passport (5 years) when he was 11, so his renewal would be when he was over 16 so it would be good for 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 11:46 AM

15,096 posts, read 19,053,475 times
I didn't read through this entire thread, so if this is a repeat, I apologize.

Bite the bullet and get the passports. Just do it. Free photos if you are AAA member. If not, cost of photos is cheapest at Costco, or DYI using various sites on the internet (if you are pressed for time, I wouldn't personally do the DYI method. I've heard that the passport office is turning many of them down an unacceptable.)

Please call your insurance company for information about auto insurance when you are driving in Canada. I know that our car insurance did not cover us in Mexico, and would guess that Canada may be a similar problem.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:52 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,341,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Into Canada, Yes.
Into the USA, No

An adult will need a passport or a enhanced drivers lic .

"You will need one of the following forms of ID: a passport, trusted traveler cards such as NEXUS, U.S. Military identification with military travel orders, US Merchant Mariner Document, Native American Tribal photo ID card or a US passport card."

Children 16 years old or younger may enter Canada with only a birth certificate (original) or a naturalization certificate/citizenship card.
Groups of U.S. citizens ages 16 to 18 may enter Canada with a birth certificate (original) or a naturalization certificate/citizenship card if they are traveling for religious, school, sport or other organizational reasons. Children must be accompanied by an adult.

You will not be asked to present your passport or documentation to Canadian officials when entering Canada but you will be asked for it by the U.S. customs /border official.

Enhanced lic – This is a driver’s license that can also be used as a cross-border travel document to enter the U.S. by land and sea. It denotes both identity and citizenship, per the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. It's not valid for international air travel.

Your military ID is only good if you have military travel orders from the Govt.

The travel initiative requires U.S. and Canadian travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S. It is a result of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA).
This tells ya all you need.

Since I live close to the Canadian border and have relatives in Canada, I have both an enhanced driver's license and a passport. Since I always have my license with me, I don't have to worry about making a short "detour" to Ft Erie or Niagara on the Lake while I'm visiting the Buffalo area.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:25 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,098,274 times
If you are near the Canadian border it would be worth it to apply for the NEXUS trusted traveler program. It only cost $50 but you get all of the benefits of the Global Entry program for half the price.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:11 AM

513 posts, read 356,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Please call your insurance company for information about auto insurance when you are driving in Canada. I know that our car insurance did not cover us in Mexico, and would guess that Canada may be a similar problem.
Exactly. My brother had his truck stolen at the Toronto airport. It was a total loss since he did not have policy revised to drive it in a foreign country. $27,000 down the drain.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:39 PM

8,602 posts, read 11,096,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Exactly. My brother had his truck stolen at the Toronto airport. It was a total loss since he did not have policy revised to drive it in a foreign country. $27,000 down the drain.
Most insurance covers travel in Canada, usually the limit is within 100 miles of the border or something like that. Regardless, check with your insurance company.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:49 PM

4,891 posts, read 3,980,500 times
We drove across into Quebec 2summers ago. Getting into Canada was easy spent 2 to 3 minute stops while the agent looked at our passports, said "welcome to Canada"
Going back into the US was not as easyGot all kinds of questions as to why we as Floridians would be in Quebec....what are had with us where we stayed etc

There was also line of cars to get into the US. While we wretre the only ones going in to Canada at the time.
Passports are needed. Also the guy asked if the car was ours or rented but asked for no documents.

Last edited by LargeKingCat; 01-27-2016 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Deep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or