U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 10:11 AM

7,150 posts, read 5,420,672 times

Advertisements

I plan to travel to Canada from Detroit soon. Do I need a passport? Do kids need a passport? I tried research on the internet but get conflicting information. Some answers say kids only need a birth certificate and some say adults need a passport while others say adults need a driver's licenses or valid military ID and birth certificate.

My kids and I don't have passports. I have driver's licences, Department of Defense ID and birth certificate. Will that be enough for me to get in Canada and back to the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 10:27 AM

9,127 posts, read 17,141,418 times
Canada

From US state Dept website.

I would also check the Canada Dept of external Website.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:34 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,099,463 times
Into Canada, Yes.
Into the USA, No

An adult will need a passport or a enhanced drivers lic .

"You will need one of the following forms of ID: a passport, trusted traveler cards such as NEXUS, U.S. Military identification with military travel orders, US Merchant Mariner Document, Native American Tribal photo ID card or a US passport card."

Children 16 years old or younger may enter Canada with only a birth certificate (original) or a naturalization certificate/citizenship card.
Groups of U.S. citizens ages 16 to 18 may enter Canada with a birth certificate (original) or a naturalization certificate/citizenship card if they are traveling for religious, school, sport or other organizational reasons. Children must be accompanied by an adult.

You will not be asked to present your passport or documentation to Canadian officials when entering Canada but you will be asked for it by the U.S. customs /border official.

Enhanced lic – This is a driver’s license that can also be used as a cross-border travel document to enter the U.S. by land and sea. It denotes both identity and citizenship, per the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. It's not valid for international air travel.

Your military ID is only good if you have military travel orders from the Govt.

The travel initiative requires U.S. and Canadian travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S. It is a result of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA).

Last edited by snofarmer; 08-04-2012 at 11:00 AM..

Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 AM

7,150 posts, read 5,420,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Into Canada, Yes.
Into the USA, No

An adult will need a passport or a enhanced drivers lic .

Children 16 years old or younger may enter Canada with only a birth certificate (original) or a naturalization certificate/citizenship card.
Groups of U.S. citizens ages 16 to 18 may enter Canada with a birth certificate (original) or a naturalization certificate/citizenship card if they are traveling for religious, school, sport or other organizational reasons. Children must be accompanied by an adult.

You will not be asked to present your passport or documentation to Canadian officials when entering Canada but you will be asked for it by the U.S. customs /border official.

Enhanced lic – This is a driver’s license that can also be used as a cross-border travel document to enter the U.S. by land and sea. It denotes both identity and citizenship, per the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. It's not valid for international air travel.

Your military ID is only good if you have military travel orders orders from the Govt.

The travel initiative requires U.S. and Canadian travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S. It is a result of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA).
Thanks. How long does it take to get a Enhanced license?

Old 08-04-2012, 11:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,578 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
...You will not be asked to present your passport or documentation to Canadian officials when entering Canada but you will be asked for it by the U.S. customs /border official.
Yes, it is getting BACK IN to USA that is the issue. I find the passport to be best, tho I just got an 'enhanced' (not that I'm keen on wearing RFID). I did get State IDs for my kids when frequently passing back and forth (tho they also had passports since age 4).

Only 4 states issue Enhanced (AFAIK). Michigan is one of them

BTW: Sno... I was surprised to see SD offers DL to age 14yr & 3 month old!!! WoW, I will be more watchful next trip through (tho I was driving a grain truck myself at age 14... I'm not sure that was a good idea )
Driver's license in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do remember how glad a farm mom was that her 14 yr old could drive the Volleyball team around the state...(as long as they are off the road by 10PM)

Old 08-04-2012, 11:13 AM

32,079 posts, read 32,980,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yes, it is getting BACK IN to USA that is the issue. I find the passport to be best, tho I just got an 'enhanced' (not that I'm keen on wearing RFID). I did get State IDs for my kids when frequently passing back and forth (tho they also had passports since age 4).

Only 4 states issue Enhanced (AFAIK). Michigan is one of them

BTW: Sno... I was surprised to see SD offers DL to age 14yr & 3 month old!!! WoW, I will be more watchful next trip through (tho I was driving a grain truck myself at age 14... I'm not sure that was a good idea )
Driver's license in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do remember how glad a farm mom was that her 14 yr old could drive the Volleyball team around the state...(as long as they are off the road by 10PM)
I believe that NY State also issues enhanced driver's license ids. But I think it is best to have a passport.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:16 AM

I'm not sure about how long it takes to get the enhanced lic in MN.
I got a passport, you can pay additional $99 to have the process expedited.
I didn't have mine expedited and it showed up in 30days.
Regular passport processing takes about 6 weeks.
The government’s expedited service takes about 3 weeks and if you need it sooner, you'll have the option of requesting an appointment at the nearest regional Passport Agency office .

The new enhanced license will cost an extra $15 above and beyond the normal costs for getting a license in Minnesota.

An enhanced driver’s license is only a valid substitute for a US passport in a few specific circumstances. It can be used to travel across the Canadian or Mexican border by land or sea, or to travel to and from the Caribbean by sea.
However, it can not be used for travel anywhere else. Also, unlike a passport, an enhanced driver’s license is not valid for international air travel at all.

S..Rabbit. yea 14yr old for a AG lic. it can be a hardship out there on the farm if the kids can't help out.

The list of states is getting longer all the time that offer a enhanced Lic

Old 08-04-2012, 11:26 AM

There is a company called RushMyPassport that could substantially shorten the time. Worth a look if time is an issue.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:22 PM

8,255 posts, read 11,115,794 times
Every American should have a passport. They're good for ten years, for heaven's sake.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:47 PM

39,541 posts, read 47,732,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Every American should have a passport. They're good for ten years, for heaven's sake.
Yep, passports, the universal ID document.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or