Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 06:51 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever gone through a tour company to set up a trip to Ireland? If so, which did you use and did you like it?

Planning a trip over for the second week of October. I am wondering if it is easier to just plan everything myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 07:32 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Ireland is an easy country to plan for yourself.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:33 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Default Good travel agent for trip to Ireland?

If you search on Ireland and tour, you can find older threads where this is discussed.
It's easy to book on your own while you're there.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:51 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Ireland IS easy to plan for yourself and the language spoken is close enough to English that you won't have major problems, but the question is, what kind of experience do you want? I don't do well on tours (that bit about having your bags outside your door and ready to go early in the morning just doesn't work for me.) But I had an aunt and uncle who took their kids on a trip they put together themselves, then a few years later they took a tour and they enjoyed it just as much. The Irish tourist office puts out a directory of B& B's and I for one will go out of my way to stay at a highly rated one, since they all cost the same. Have a great trip!

Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
I have family in Ireland. My father immigrated from there to here (USA). And I visit every 2/3 years. Traveling as part of a tour group works well for many people, particularly for those who aren't as adventurous or don't enjoy the logistical planning. All of this depends, of course, on how long the trip will be and how much of the country you want to see. The fewer the destinations the easier the logistics become. Ireland's like a second home to me and I handle the logistics on my own. I do that for most of my many international trips. I have, though, traveled with groups to China and the old USSR. Go with the decision which meets your travel style and concerns, and not in a manner just because others recommend differently.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:37 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
If you want a tour try CIE tours, I've done Ireland with them and they are good, that said I don't think I would tour again. Too many places I found boring we were there way too long, Blarney Stone and the mill store there and other places I could of spent a lot of time at we were whisked away fast.

Ireland has a good rail system and is fine by car as well....enjoy

Ireland Vacations with CIE Tours. Wonderful Ireland Tours. Car Tours of Ireland. Scotland Vacations.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:16 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Ireland has a good rail system and is fine by car as well....enjoy
The rail system, is just "okay" in my opinion. The trains are often full and some passengers stand. That depends upon the classification of the train. I travel from Longford to Dublin and back ... and it can be tough to get a seat .... depending upon the time of day. No assigned seats. The bus might be better, more comfortable. As for driving: it's a challenge for many people from Canada and the USA who aren't familiar driving on "the other side" of the road. Once you get off of the major highways roads can be narrow and with no shoulder. If you're adventuresome it can be fun. But I think it's unsettling for many people who are unfamiliar with it.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:24 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
The trouble with their rail system is that it's a like a wheel with the hub in Dublin. No way to get anywhere except by way of Dublin. "As slow as the Sligo train" is an Irish expression. Doesn't serve Ulster either. Belfast is a charming city, about a five-hour bus ride from Dublin.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:40 PM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
We rent a cottage in the countryside, where we can travel in all directions to visit places by car.. love it. Depends on what you want to see , I like castles, small towns or villages, and we drive for hours each day.. night life isnt important to us.. I like to get back to the cottage to see the sunset and relax. Id get a car, get a map and go....

Old 08-07-2012, 10:01 PM

79 posts, read 214,717 times
My 17 yr old daughter and I just returned from 12 days in Ireland and we took Vagabond Tours. They are a small group tour company (only 11 on ours). They drive you around in Hummer-like vehicles and it is really great experience. We started in Dublin, went through Cork, Cashell Castle, Blarney Castle, down around to Kenmare and the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Peninsula, then up to Clare and the Cliffs of Moher. Of course there was lots in between. They stay in fabulous little B&B's and also offer many options. We went horse back riding on the beach which was amazing! We also saw many truly Irish areas that the big busses cannot do, went to a sheep farm and old mining camp, biking, hiking and just hung out. Check them out. There name is there website. We loved it and will travel with them again when we return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel