U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:59 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,613,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
You should cope with the lingo in London then.
LOL

I also lived in Australia, so I should manage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 12:43 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,669,417 times
In the first place, London is not Europe. Neither is the whole of the UK. For that matter, neither is Paris.

HOWEVER...since you have limited time and resources, see them both for as long as you can. Both Paris and London are unique and if you have a chance to "taste" them both...take it. That chance may never come again.

If you don't and never find opportunity to go back, you'll always regret it.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:45 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,925,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
HOWEVER...since you have limited time and resources, see them both for as long as you can. Both Paris and London are unique and if you have a chance to "taste" them both...take it. That chance may never come again.
I agree.
I've been to both a bunch of times, and plan to return.
But you never know how things are going to go. I "crammed" a lot more when I was younger.
In 2003 I did a 9 day Paris/London trip and it was fine. We flew into London and out of Paris, splitting our time fairly evenly.
But if you plan to spend less time in London, do a hop on/hop off tour on the big red bus; it's great for an overview of the city. You can get off whenever you like, then get back on to move along on your self-guided tour.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:32 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,355,691 times
What time of year will this be, and how long do you have, total? If it's in the summer, both cities will be crowded with tourists, but I'm sure you know that. If you have two weeks or more, you could just split your time between the two cities--one week in each would be nice.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:40 AM

6,475 posts, read 6,187,976 times
If you have the opportunity to see both, do it. You do not want to regret not doing so later.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:37 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,712,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
In 2003 I did a 9 day Paris/London trip and it was fine. We flew into London and out of Paris, splitting our time fairly evenly.
This is the way to go... into London, 4 days, train to Paris, 4 days, home from Paris.

It is an easy switch since that train departs/arrives from zone 1 part of both cities (St Pancras to Gar du Nord) and it is only a little over 2 hours travel time. There are departures all day with the more desirable times (late morning) usually costing as much as twice the early/lates so if you're flexible you won't bleed too badly. You won't see everything but in 4 days you can see a hell of a lot without running too ragged, these two cities are so different yet so close you should try to hit both for as much money as you'll drop going over the pond.

You can get rail passes in advance on the internet and pick up your tickets at the station in London. Also = cities often get overbuilt with hotel rooms leading up to an event like the Olympics, if you're going soon you might find some solid deals on mid-range hotels in London. Crowds tends to lessen in both cities right around early September when the summer travel season ends, but the weather is still quite nice so it is a good time for a visit.

Good luck, have fun!

Old 08-14-2012, 08:27 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,431,551 times
You don't want a rail pass--just a single ticket (or possibly, return ticket) on Eurostar. It only takes a couple of hours, so while an open-jaw airline ticket is best, it's not such a huge time-suck if you fly in and out of Paris.

How long is your honeymoon?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:38 AM

1,872 posts, read 5,789,291 times
The one thing I love about taking the Eurostar is St. Pancras station -- so beautiful. Plus the fact that in both cases you're much closer to the hearts of the cities.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 AM

2,097 posts, read 2,621,391 times
London is overrated IMO. Paris is fantastic - you will have lot of fun.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:58 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,116,267 times
3 or 4 days is enough to get a pretty decent feel for either city. IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel