Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times

Advertisements

To me the word "exotic" conjures up the distant ... the unusual ... the mysterious.

I am curious what places people in this forum have traveled to that they consider "exotic."

A funny, but true, story: Back in the 1990's I was working for the British shipping company Cunard. My homeport was Southampton, in Hampshire County. Before setting sail on the vessel I was working on I was having lunch at the Burger King in the center of town, called the Bargate. Two older gentlemen were sitting at the table next to mine and one was discussing his recent first trip abroad - to the United States. He described how weird and unusual he found things, the different money, the fact that people drive on the wrong side of the road, etc. Mind you these two gents were eating Whoppers at a Burger King wearing Levis and had shopping bags from the local Woolworth's store! To this old guy the US was "exotic"!

What is your story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 12:34 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
It really does depend upon your definition of exotic.

If that means south sea beaches, with palm trees almost overlapping the surf? I've been there.

If that means Godless tracks of endless sand dune deserts for hundreds, if not thousands of miles? I've been there.

If that means local customs and societies which are actually threatening? I've been there.

If that means romantic settings and strange, beautiful women under a warm Mediterranean or Caribbean or Pacific moon? I've been there too.

If that means the smell of death in the air? I've been there.

If that means destruction and horror on a Biblical scale? I've also been there...regrettably.

If that means faux foreign resorts with all the comforts and familiarities of home? I haven't been there.

If that means scenes of luxury and opulence in some other place than home? I haven't been there either.

If that means idyllic days lost in your own, self-absorbed reveries while wandering obscurely among the locals? Maybe I have been there. Maybe not. I'll never admit it either way.

Exotic means different things to different people. Just what do YOU mean?

Old 08-09-2012, 06:01 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
For me, exotic always brings up mental images of lush forest and humidity; somewhere awesome, but with bugs so big you could ride them.

Going by that definition: Cambodia.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:40 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Island of Moorea near Tahiti
Also, India and Nepal

Old 08-09-2012, 08:49 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,384 times
French Polynesia. The Society islands, Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea, Raiataea; the Tuomotu Islands of Rangiroa and Manihi; but even more so, the Marquesas Islands, Fatu Hiva, Nuku Hiva, Hiva Oa and Ua Huka.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:50 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Eritrea.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:52 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Nepal in the '70s. The Magic Mountain Kingdom.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:16 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Casa Blanca but did not see Rick's Café.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:37 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
Ujiji, Tanzania, where Stanley found Livingston. As in "Dr. Livingston, I presume". Livingston's heart is buried there under the tree where he died.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:48 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Naviivi Village, Qamea Island, Fiji in 1999. This is a small hillside village on an island with no roads and no airport; accessible by water only. There is but one small resort on Qamea island and it is tucked away from the village, so this village retained much from the past. The villagers still lived in small one-room thatched roof/wall huts with dirt floors and lived simply off the land and sea. They did have a Catholic church and small school where the children wore bright blue matching uniforms; these were about the only major signs of western infulence here. Fijian was primarily spoken with very little English by the elders. Amongst it all were the happiest people I have ever met in my life. I envy the beauty and simplicity that surround these Naviivi villagers in their lives and the happiness they have found while going without most of the modern conveniences most of us have come to expect in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel