U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:55 AM

4 posts, read 3,745 times

Advertisements

ravel medical insurance offers protection for illness or injury incurred during either domestic or overseas travel. It's valuable because many medical insurance policies have coverage limitations and might apply only to travel within a certain part of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 06:39 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,606,785 times
My wife and I do decently for ourselves.
We are in our mid forties with no children.
We have one newer vehicle and one that's close to ten years old.
We own a nice fifties rancher in a nice neighborhood but nothing that would be considered expensive.
Our main goal is to focus our money on travel which adds up to 15,000 dollars annually some years.
That is our main focus.
When you are disciplined, have little financial liability and do decently for yourself concerning annual income you will have discretionary income that one can use for travel.

We search for the best deals for international travel then purchase our tickets and go.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:20 AM

15,532 posts, read 13,524,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Many people never travel.
It's not their passion.
I work with people who think that traveling to a town 40 km away is too far.
And I work with others who travel a lot.
Different strokes, etc.
You need to read the post I was originally responding to; the poster stated he wanted to travel, but never had the chance. Since the poster lives in the UK, I asked to clarify if by traveling the poster meant Europe, or places besides Europe, because I find it difficult to understand how someone could live in the UK, with a steady career (he is/was in the military), and could not ever once even get to France at least.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:08 AM

96 posts, read 296,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I did once some personal homework on the concept of home exchange and what I found out is that it was extremely difficult to do if your home is not a nice house or at least a big flat (certainly nothing smaller than 1000 sqft)and located in a "coveted" neighborhood : either direct on sea or lakeside or in central city (Manhattan , central London or Paris), not the suburbs.
As for couch surfing...I believe it's not for "old" folks like us (57 and 63 yo)
Home exchangers are unique people. You'd be surprised where they want to go. For example, we exchanged our vacation rental in Hawaii recently to spend two weeks in a small town outside Pittsburgh, Pa. We have family in the area and were visiting with them. The gal we exchanged with had her place listed and indicated she wanted to go to Hawaii, so it was an immediate perfect match. But you do make a good point: it is important to have your home "exchange friendly" i.e. get rid of clutter, organize drawers, have place very clean, and put on a fresh coat of paint. These are not big investments in $$$, but can be in time.

Size of place has not been an issue for us. Our place in Hawaii is just 450 square feet and we have had offers for an "even exchange" with folks who have 3000 square feet to exchange with us. It depends on what the exchangers are looking for. Sure our location is amazing, but the size is certainly small. The point is, you'll never know until you try, and I've heard so many older people say: "I never have regretted the things I've done as much as the things I wanted to do, but didn't try" 57 & 63 is not old; couch surfing or hosteling elderly folks are out there----everywhere. So, get out there and give it a try. If after 6 tries you decide it is not for you, you can move on, but before you have done it, you can't be sure.

As far as the question regarding which website I use, I like homeexchange.com the best. So far I haven't been disappointed, but it is important to communicate with your potential exchange guest to be sure that you are compatible with your expectations.

Last edited by AlohaMarie; 09-21-2012 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: wanted to make another point within same response.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:00 PM

216 posts, read 360,567 times
Tip #1 - save money! Have an automatic savings account draw a little $$ out of each paycheque. Even at $100/month, you'll have $1200 for at least a start. It's hard, especially if a person is on a fixed income, but it can be done.
Tip #2 - spend less. This is the slightly harder part. Get a thorough budget together and look at every single expense. Maybe you can cut cable, maybe drive the car less, buy groceries in bulk. Buy cheaper clothes.
For me I spend next to nothing in my daily life so that I can have a nice vacation.
Tip 3 - spend less on vacation. Obviously you're going to hunt the net for travel deals, but look at where your money goes while you're on vacation. Do you really need that expensive hotel room? Do you really need to see that $100 show?
I don't pay to drink any beverage, I camp when possible and I strictly use grocery stores when I travel. Most people wouldn't do that, but for me it means the difference between affording to see a new country and not.
It really depends on what you want. I love travel, so my income goes towards that. I do not own anything however. My suite consists of a bed, dresser, lamp, my clothing, laptop, my camping gear and a few mementos. That's it.
Some people like a big screen TV, a 4 bedroom house a nice vehicle. I like affording airfares and being able to see new places.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:51 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,785,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I have so many places on my travel list but it seems I never have the money to really travel. I've been to a lot of places in the US, Mexico, and Canda, but those international destinations are really expensive. How do you guys manage it? Do you save for awhile, try to find the cheapest deals when you go somewhere, something else? I have a decent job yet with the cost of living and everything else I worry I'm never going to be able to afford to go the places I really want to go.
frequent flyer miles

Old 09-28-2012, 11:16 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,430,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
Tip #1 - save money! Have an automatic savings account draw a little $$ out of each paycheque. Even at $100/month, you'll have $1200 for at least a start. It's hard, especially if a person is on a fixed income, but it can be done.
Tip #2 - spend less. This is the slightly harder part. Get a thorough budget together and look at every single expense. Maybe you can cut cable, maybe drive the car less, buy groceries in bulk. Buy cheaper clothes.
For me I spend next to nothing in my daily life so that I can have a nice vacation.
Tip 3 - spend less on vacation. Obviously you're going to hunt the net for travel deals, but look at where your money goes while you're on vacation. Do you really need that expensive hotel room? Do you really need to see that $100 show?
I don't pay to drink any beverage, I camp when possible and I strictly use grocery stores when I travel. Most people wouldn't do that, but for me it means the difference between affording to see a new country and not.
It really depends on what you want. I love travel, so my income goes towards that. I do not own anything however. My suite consists of a bed, dresser, lamp, my clothing, laptop, my camping gear and a few mementos. That's it.
Some people like a big screen TV, a 4 bedroom house a nice vehicle. I like affording airfares and being able to see new places.
You left out what I feel is the most important tip: Make a significant amount of excess money.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:26 AM

216 posts, read 360,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You left out what I feel is the most important tip: Make a significant amount of excess money.
Well yes and no. I can make close to $60K/year if I really work at it. I only spend a fraction of that however. If I'm lucky I spend $10K/year, which leaves me a nice travel budget.
If you're making more but have significantly higher debt, it won't be easy. I've heard of people making $300,000/year and they're broke.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:12 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,522,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

If you feel the need to have every Igadget that comes down the pike, or fly first class everywhere you go, or stay at a 10 star accomodation then yeah, you right. But if you live reasonably, no you don't.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:55 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
[/b]

If you feel the need to have every Igadget that comes down the pike, or fly first class everywhere you go, or stay at a 10 star accomodation then yeah, you right. But if you live reasonably, no you don't.
When I travel on business I'm happy in a moderate hotel (Hampton Inn, Courtyard, etc.) My status with my carrier of choice assures me of almost always having a first class upgrade. My business travel flights are seldom longer than two hours, so even if I end up in an aisle seat in coach, it's not the end of the world.

When I travel for leisure I generally want first class plane tickets and upscale hotels. I often use miles and points earned through business travel to subsidize the cost of these, but it doesn't cover everything. That's why I am typing on an eight year old computer, the average age of the televisions in my home are around 12 years old, and while I do have an iPhone 4s, it's because I need a smart phone to do my job, and I needed to replace a dying BlackBerry. The 4S was the same price as the 4 after credits from my cell plan. I'm content with the 4s and not running out to buy a 5. I'll replace my current iPhone only when it stops working--I'm guessing that will be a couple years (or more) from now.

I expect to drive my Toyota Matrix until it's around 15 years old. We're looking at replacing the Prius when it hits 200,000 miles or when the batteries die, whichever comes first. Both are paid for and we've got savings to pay cash to replace the Prius in a few years. Not having $800 in monthly car payments offsets the cost of a two week European cruise on a luxury ship.

I don't have a cleaning lady, that saves me the cost of a couple first class plane tickets every year.

It comes down to priorities. We could travel less expensively, but we can only take three weeks vacation a year, and we're able to travel first class over that three week time frame, so why cut corners when we don't have to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or