U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:36 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,524,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Right, unless you are living in poverty where you can barely afford your rent and food, then it shouldn't be difficult to save up to a take a big trip every year.

Saving even as little as $200 a month for it gives you $2400 a year for travel. I went to Finland/Estonia for 2 weeks earlier this year and that was about the cost of my trip. Not very difficult to do, especially when you consider that people are probably paying $50 a month for TV and an extra $50 a month for their "smartphones" when they probably could get by just fine on a normal talk/text only phone. Get rid of those charges, that's $100 a month right there.

Honestly, the phone one is probably the biggest. I pay $45/month for my phone and got it for free when signing up for the plan. One of my friends pays $108 a month and bought their phone for $200. So basically they are paying over $750 more per year than I am AND they also paid an extra $200 on top of that. They also pay like $50 a month for cable, while I don't (I just watch TV online). That's another $600 a year they are spending that I am not. So those 2 things right there add up to $1350 a year that they are spending on things that aren't even necessary, and I'm using it for travel... and then they wonder why they can't afford to travel like me... lol
This is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 05:23 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
Another thing I see people spend a huge amount of money on is Starbucks/etc. I know people who will drop $10 a day on coffee! I buy the Dunkin Donuts ground coffee by the pound for $8 and that lasts me two months or so to make at home. $1 a week versus $10 a day? That's why I spent three weeks in Europe this summer and others complained they couldn't afford a vacation.

Another thing--cigarettes! Non-smoker here, I can't even imagine how much that saves.

We don't eat out very often. I can make a dinner with little fuss that includes two NY Strips on the grill, veggies, some sort of potatoes, a dessert, and a nice bottle of wine from my cellar for $75. That same meal in a restaurant with the same bottle of wine would cost around $300.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:32 AM

220 posts, read 508,871 times
I usually book a trip 6 months to a year in advance; using my end of the year bonus from work, or income tax return to pay for at least 50-100%. That gives me plenty of time to pay it off and/or save spending money. Also, as many have stated, I have a low amount of debt, so I have a good amount of disposable income.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:02 PM

5 posts, read 6,146 times
Default Travel Insurance Protects Your Holiday Investment

You've no doubt had to save money in order to take your holiday.

Things can happen that keep you either from your trip entirely or that interrupt your holiday. Once example is a medical problem. Whether severe or minor, it can be VERY expensive.

If you look at your holiday as an investment, planning on a few more hundred dollars added to your investment to protect you from unforeseen events would be well worth it.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:31 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,093,337 times
Being single: Being able to make frequent flyer bookings or nab a single seat on sale requires far less effort and planning than a couple or a family.

Living light: After travel, my two indulgences are clothes and food. I am also a bargain hunter, which helps on clothing. As for food, again, it's cheaper buying/dining for one rather than 3 or 4. My telephone expenses are under 20 per month. My electronic devices are limited to a laptop, iPod, and kindle. I do not own a TV. I do not own a car (aka a mobile money pit).

Prioritising: It's my thing. For some, it's a new car, the newest electronics, season tickets, etc etc. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:14 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,449,460 times
I can afford to stay out of the country for almost half a year if I wanted to. I live at home, use public transport, save 90% of all money I make (Not exaggerating), I don't use a cell phone in Canada (seemingly worst country to make having a phone economical), I don't drive, I don't smoke, and I go out for drinks or partying maybe once every two weeks.

I study, so it's not so bad, but I can only manage about 15-17hrs a week at work because of it.

By the end of the school year in April, I end up with about 3-4 grand. That can keep me in and around Europe all spring and summer, since I usually stay with friends and with friends of friends throughout my travels. Tickets to South Asia are also pretty close to the same cost of flying to Europe anyways, so I can imagine how far my money would go there.

Annoys the hell out of me when my friends whine that I'm either rich or privilaged. No. I work my buns off and make huge sacrifices most other young adults couldn't ever do. The payoff is the travelling.

But, I think if you live on your own, don't have kids, or don't have too many expensive hobbies, you can def save enough to go on a cool foreign vacation for at least a week by the end of every year. Like someone just said, it could be as simple as cutting your cable, not smoking or drinking as often, etc...really small things.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:37 AM

17 posts, read 17,003 times
Yes, it's pretty hard to have a luxury trip if you don't save money. In my opinion, you can ask for sponsor from some of the companies supplying with stuff

Old 10-30-2013, 11:31 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,480,078 times
Because our work schedules are so hectic, and involve a good bit of travel, we generally plan our vacations about a year out. This helps because we can also estimate what trips are going to cost us and we simply budget appropriately throughout the year to cover the costs.

We also tend to use frequent flyer miles or hotel points to cut costs. For example, we recently spent 9 days in Germany - the first half of our trip was in Heidelberg, we stayed at the Marriott there, which was a bit away from downtown, but the trade off was we stayed there on points, which saved us about $750-$1000 which is what we would have spent had we stayed in a hotel closer to the Altstadt.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:08 PM

9,200 posts, read 9,280,929 times
We afford it by making it a priority. We have very little in the way of hobbies and past times--at least those that cost very much. We have credit cards that allow us to accumulate Southwest Airlines frequent flier miles and try to put everything we can on the credit cards. We don't need fancy hotels or accommodations when we travel. We just need something that isn't "scary". Ideally, you spent limited time in your hotel room anyway. On vacation, it should be a place to sleep, wash, and groom. Other than that, you should be out seeing things. We use websites like travelocity, hotels.com, and expedia to book our rooms. We look for cut rate theater tickets when we go to Broadway. We have a Golden Eagle Passport to see all the national parks.

Much of saving money is just keeping your eyes and ears open, surfing the right websites, and being flexible with your plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or