U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 01:01 AM

39,530 posts, read 47,699,472 times

Advertisements

We worked hard all our life, saved money, made good long term investments and now are enjoying the fruits of our labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 03:53 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,014,596 times
We do home and car exchanges ( why would anyone want to stay in a small hotel room and pay for car hire if they can have a whole house and free car !?!?!) and also put a bit of money aside every month which at the bare minimum pays for our flights every year.

Flights have become much more expensive but if you put aside a little every month then you don't notice it as much as having to pay it all in one big expense.

We travel quite a bit but home exchanges have allowed us to spend a month in California for example with minimum costs involved and having a luxurious accommodation as well.

It helps that we have never had debts and that our Mortgage is coming to an end in a couple of years too ! When the mortgage is paid off we will put some of the money going on it now aside for more holidays.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:23 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,426,389 times
-Try to piggypack leisure travel on top of business travel abroad whenever possible.
-travel off-season. My SO had to fly to Dublin in July and it was over $1000. We went last November for about $500.
-Never do the entire trip as a guided tour; that will always cost tons of extra money.
-research local restaurants so you don't end up at overpriced tourist traps.
-Stay in small pensions/guesthouses instead of large chain hotels
-stay out of the main tourist hubs. You often get a better experience being in a more "local" neighborhood anyway.
-Don't think of flight cost as the entire cost. When I went to Cambodia it cost about $1200 for the flight. But I ended up spending under $50/day for lodging, meals and transportation. Try doing that in a major European city!

Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,500,216 times
My husband travels for his job so when BabyGirl and I go with him, his airfare, the rental car and hotel room are already paid for. I budget spending for food and entertainement for all us to fall under his "per diem" rate. I use CityPass, Entertainment. com, etc... lots of coupons sites.

I keep a folder of coupons for national chains. Denny's, IHop Subway - alot of those coupons can be used anywhere.

For out of the states - we buy groceries or eat with locals.

We're not "house poor" - we could have bought a bigger place but chose to live in a smaller space. We have one car note at 0%, we cut costs on other things - cable, don't have expensive cell phones, etc..

Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Travel is cheaper than staying home. I just take a year off work, terminate all my affairs, and head for the airport. Then look for a job when I feel like heading back home.

Assuming rent and utilities to cost $1,000 a month, that's $30 a day, which will get you a decent hotel room anywhere except western Europe. In the third world, it's easy to do it for half of that. Ground transportation almost anywhere in the world will be cheaper than maintaining a car in the USA, probably cheaper than just the insurance. You will eat, wherever you are, so that is not a factor.

You just have to decide where your priorities are, and whether you can save enough of your wages to live for 6 months or a year without income. If you need to order a delivered pizza a couple of nights a week and drive a new car and buy store-bought clothes to lounge around the house on your day off, and watch a 48-inch TV and carry a iThing around with you everywhere, it's not going to happen.

You can live in Pakistan or Indonesia or Bolivia or Tanzania for $4,000 a year, with healthy nutrition and safe and comfortable accommodations, and sightseeing transportation. How long would it take you to cut out your frills and save $5,000 (includes plane fare)? That's like 2 or 3 years of cable and cellphone. Do you want that, or a year at an exotic beach?

Last edited by jtur88; 08-14-2012 at 09:03 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 04:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
I too travel cheaper than staying home (I prefer to be gone, than to be HOME)

$89 air fares, $10 rental cars, $10/night guest homes (world-wide), eat from farmer / grocery stores ($3/day).

For international, I get a job that PAYS me to travel to interesting places (Been doing that gig for 20 + yrs (international engineering)) I would rather not work, BUT... I have a very understanding employer, so take LOTS of side and extended trips. I always travel like a 'local' not a 'tourist'.

Priorities... I drive a 36 yr old car that gets 50 mpg on used cooking oil (free fuel). I buy tires for $5 at junk yard. My car cost me $35... yes the WHOLE operational car... (I keep a few spares at the price)

Free Campgrounds for RVs (I have a 20 mpg motorhome, and an 80 mpg motorcycle)

Old 08-14-2012, 09:51 PM

9,593 posts, read 17,168,542 times
* I buy all of my clothes from places like Goodwill.
*I drive embarrassing cars always.
*My two favorite hobbies are free and cheap--reading from the library and dancing. I don't drink when I dance so that cuts the cost.
*I take trips to places that are interesting and don't cost a lot.
*If you take a long term trip it's more cost effective. For example, if you have 2 weeks to go to Oz, the jetlag will eat you alive and so will the airfare so it's not really worth if for most Americans. However, if you go for at least 3 months it's quite do-able and camping is cheap and comfortable in Oz and even free if you don't require indoor plumbing as I do. Then while you're over in that part of the world anyway, you may as well go on over to New Zealand for a month or so. Then you may as well keep going in the same direction--Asia maybe?
*My family of 4 spent $1200 for health insurance for the whole family for a year--way less than it would be in the states. That was with the adventure sport rider.
*Plan to cook your own meals on the trip--campgrounds and hostels are the best places to stay so you can do this.
*There are ways to stay for free in places, like wwoof (willing workers on organic farms) or couch surfing. Or you could go do some caretaking on someone's property. Or crew on a yacht.
*You could go live abroad for awhile and work at a job or a volunteer opportunity which might cut some of your costs and staying in one place for awhile is much cheaper and more rewarding than moving around all the time. Check out this fantastic resource for lots of great ideas about that: Transitions Abroad - Portal for Work, Study, Travel and Living Abroad

Old 08-14-2012, 11:09 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,452,520 times
Id be asking when one has the time to travel. Im looking for work and my wife is working mandatory 12s 5 days a week and saturdays 3 times a month. Even then whenever we save up for one thing another item tears up (transmission, washer/dryer, animal gets sick, etc) so we have to spend the money on that.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:04 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,819,132 times
I work and live in Europe.

I own a VW diesel transporter (30 mpg, bed, table, lights, extra battery for electric) and leave work every Friday (season permitting) drive either to a specific destination or until I'm tired, find a campground and spend the weekend.
During the cold months, I use airbnb.com for accommodations or stay with friends. RyanAir is fine by me.

I don't buy much of anything, I don't need it.
My only major expense is petrol, but I make that up by staying for next to nothing.
Three weeks ago, I stayed in Czech for about $5 US for 2 nights.

I get 5 weeks of holiday a year and, like others, add time to work trips.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:21 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,000 times
i don't have a wife or kids, so saving money for travel isn't a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or