U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:19 PM

15,530 posts, read 13,524,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
I've been married 20 yrs but i've never been abroad on holiday with my wife. It was difficult with my profession and she's always gone away with the kids while i've been... elsewhere.

We'll be going all over the place from now on though. We can afford it so we're intending to make the most of it.
You live in England, it is not that tasking to jump across to the rest of Europe, or are you meaning other places besides Europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
And then there are those of us, like my animal rescue colleagues, who live modestly, have worked hard all of our lives, don't buy clothes much or eat out often, drive old cars........but, we use every spare penny that we have to pay for the care of foster animals, to provide veterinary care for cats and/or dogs when there are no free places that will help them...and we will never be able to travel to the places we dream about.

But we have made OUR priorities and can live with them.

My siblings have been all over the world, often stayed in wonderful and interesting places for months at a time. A brother is on his 70th trip to Europe, has friends there, etc.

I have been to Europe once, and stayed there for free (Italian friend, oh, I loved Italy).

But for what we spend, year in and year out, to pay for the vet care and the feeding of many animals, as well as associated costs, we could take a major trip every year, but we cannot afford to.

Many people will never understand our priorities but fortunately I have my rescue colleagues who do as we do, and we are friends and support one another.
My husband and I donate generously to an animal rescue, and my pup is a rescue. I had two rescues but recently lost one to cancer. I'll be taking a foster for a couple of months in mid-November when business travel winds down for the year. As much as I say "no," I know that there's a chance the foster might stay forever.

The sad fact is that if the puppy mills closed and people spayed and neutered their animals, the need for rescues and shelters would be cut by 90% and people like you could travel. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:31 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,333,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I have so many places on my travel list but it seems I never have the money to really travel. I've been to a lot of places in the US, Mexico, and Canda, but those international destinations are really expensive. How do you guys manage it? Do you save for awhile, try to find the cheapest deals when you go somewhere, something else? I have a decent job yet with the cost of living and everything else I worry I'm never going to be able to afford to go the places I really want to go.
Normal- and low-income people afford international travel by...

1. Receiving inheritances or other gifts. Most people will have something gifted to them, and in many cases several times. Some use this to pay off debts incurred by credit cards, student loans, etc. Some blow it on strippers, prostitutes, gambling, alcohol, and drugs, perhaps from the grief wrought by the event which led to their enrichment. Other people spend it on TVs or cars or houses, and more than a few people even spend it on travel.

2. Saving up and making "sacrifices". Many of us have several habits which are of minor cost in the short-term but add up in the long-term. Examples: smoking (a pack-a-day smoker spends about $2,000 / year or more, depending on the state they buy their cigarettes in), going out every Friday and Saturday night, eating out for lunch instead of bringing something from home, expensive cable / satellite TV and phone plans, getting coffee from Starbucks or foo-foo coffee shops rather than brewing it at home or getting it from the gas station, etc.

3. Living below one's means. If you want to travel but you don't really have a large income, you need to cut back on some things that you could otherwise enjoy. Examples: Buying a $5,000 used car and a $1,000 junk-but-runs jalopy for a back-up instead of a $30,000 new car; living with roommates or with your parents rather than springing for your own apartment or house; denying yourself items such as the latest DSLR camera, the biggest LCD TV, etc.

4. Cutting down on bills. This one goes in with #3, and it makes a major difference when you consider that low- and normal-income people, in order to make long trips, might have to take some additional weeks of unpaid leave. Other than the major house and car notes given as examples in #3, other potential areas to accommodate this deficit of income include cell phone plans ($100/month+ contracts with the latest iPhone vs. $30/month Straight Talk or other pre-paid service with a modest $150 smartphone), cable/satellite TV (easily $60-100+ / month vs. free off-the-air TV), car and other forms insurance (removing comprehensive and accepting additional risk), conserving gas, water, and electricity, etc. These sacrifices often add up quickly.

5. Funding it (partially) on a credit card or through student loans. Some people use their credit cards to cover all their major travel expenses (hotels, flights, etc.). This isn't recommended if you can't pay it off immediately, but if you can, you can get various travel-specific rewards on some cards. Other people fund their travel with student loans by studying abroad.

6. Back in the day, travel to many places was far cheaper. Many developing countries were less developed (but still had something of a tourist infrastructure) and hence cheaper, the dollar was stronger, prices on some consumer items, such as food, were lower, airfare was drastically cheaper even in 2006 (e.g. Minneapolis to London, round-trip, all taxes included, in April, going for a month, was only $450; DULUTH to Tokyo was about $650 R/T with taxes; flights to Mexico from Minneapolis were sometimes under $200 R/T, maybe even in exceptional situations under $100). I would suspect that many of the posters here made many of their trips prior to the rise in the cost of travel.

7. Perhaps the most important thing is, of course, to look for deals. Airfares vary wildly and hotels have rooms that need to be sold (a normally $150/night hotel would rather have a room occupied for $50 / night than make $0 / night off of it). Sometimes the rail lines in Europe have special sales, as do bus lines, even in the U.S. (e.g. if you book Minneapolis to Chicago within a specific window the fare is $1). Alternatives that you may have not thought about may need to be considered: vacation home rental by owner (VRBO), youth hostels, sleeping on overnight bus rides or trains, etc.

Last edited by tvdxer; 09-13-2012 at 12:52 AM..

Old 09-13-2012, 02:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Normal- and low-income people afford international travel by...

get an overseas job.... I did so as a 'skilled worker bee'. Looks good on resume and opens up tons of options and future foriegn assignments.

It is nice to travel when company pays... Mine moved my family to Asia, Canada, and Europe... ALL on an hourly position,

As mentioned... we travel cheaper than we stay home and we ALL love to travel. $10 / night private guesthomes help a lot. + we ALWAYS book flights that are likely to be overbooked. We volunteer to give up seats and ... pretty soon you have FREE passes to travel for yrs!!!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:57 AM

6,796 posts, read 11,767,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I have so many places on my travel list but it seems I never have the money to really travel. I've been to a lot of places in the US, Mexico, and Canda, but those international destinations are really expensive. How do you guys manage it? Do you save for awhile, try to find the cheapest deals when you go somewhere, something else? I have a decent job yet with the cost of living and everything else I worry I'm never going to be able to afford to go the places I really want to go.
Skimp on the airfare and hotels, don't join travel groups (i like the freedom of adventuring on my own.)

Finding the time (taking time off from work) seems to be 10x the problem than money for me.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:21 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,333,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Skimp on the airfare and hotels, don't join travel groups (i like the freedom of adventuring on my own.)

Finding the time (taking time off from work) seems to be 10x the problem than money for me.
Although traveling solo certainly lends itself to independence (I've almost always traveled solo), it does not necessarily save money. Traveling in groups is probably, on the whole, less expensive, at least for what you get vs. if you were to try to stay in the same accommodations, etc. solo.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:55 PM

15,530 posts, read 13,524,055 times
Groups just suck, would not care if it was free. I have met so many people who broke off from these things, it is crazy. Nothing worse than having to abide by a prepaid schedule.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:18 AM

407 posts, read 678,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Can't afford it, would love to go. Sadly, that's what life has come to, for some of us.
There's nothing wrong with a 'stay-cation'. You can have just as much fun in your own town or city, as you can travelling elsewhere

It's all on how you look at it.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,822,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You live in England, it is not that tasking to jump across to the rest of Europe, or are you meaning other places besides Europe?
Actually, it is a task to travel even when we live in Europe.
We all have jobs, cost of living, houses to care for, families, etc.
I travel very cheaply (have a camper van) and can't always fit what I want into the mix.
Sure, countries are closer, but so are states in the US.

Travel doesn't have to be to another continent or country.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,822,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Groups just suck, would not care if it was free. I have met so many people who broke off from these things, it is crazy. Nothing worse than having to abide by a prepaid schedule.
^^^
This.
I won't take a cruise for the same reason.

I can travel to Thailand for 5-6 weeks, including airfare, for less than $2k.
I stay with my family for 2 nights, my first and last because it's relatively close to the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or