Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 01:24 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times

Advertisements

I have so many places on my travel list but it seems I never have the money to really travel. I've been to a lot of places in the US, Mexico, and Canda, but those international destinations are really expensive. How do you guys manage it? Do you save for awhile, try to find the cheapest deals when you go somewhere, something else? I have a decent job yet with the cost of living and everything else I worry I'm never going to be able to afford to go the places I really want to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 01:27 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
There are two places we would like to go, one is Germany and the other is Ireland and we save for those two trips. We will be saving for a while longer but the end result will be well worth the wait.

We started a trip fund and put what we can in it, after we get a specific amount in the fund we will make the travel arrangements months in advance then add to the fund as needed until the time we leave.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:39 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
It depends on what your other costs are and what your priorities are.

My kids are grown, my mortgage is paid, I drive a 14 year old car and travel is what I like to do. I don't spend much money on other stuff which leaves any extra free for travel.

I am also a pretty savvy traveler and know how to get the best deals and avoid over-expensive tourist traps.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:32 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,102,327 times
Travel is important to my family so it is a significat line item in our annual family budget. We earn decent salaries and live somewhat modestly compared to our income so that we wil lhave funds to allocate to travel each year. We really enjoy international travel, but as a family of four it can be quite expensive so the international trips only occur every 2-3 years with 1-2 significant US trips by car (we will drive 14 hours or so each way for a big trip).

We also stay in places with kitchens and/or with breakfast included so that we can prepare some meals and/or not have to go out for every meal. We use mass transit when available as it is cheaper than taxis. We go to the local market to buy snack food and alcohol rather than buying it in bars. All these little things add up to significant savings over the course of a week.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:56 PM

737 posts, read 2,587,460 times
Miles, points, perks, etc. I found out a long time ago that you just sign up for the "club" or whatever anytime you stay at a new property or use a rental car, get a frequent flier number on any airline, use credit cards that offer points, etc. Even if you think you'll never fly another XYZ flight or sleep at the Acme Motel, it doesn't matter. Sometimes companies that merge will consider you as a possible asset and redeem your points, miles, etc.

Business class r/t to NYC w/free hotel (not crappy hotel) and just expense - while earnings points on the credit card - for food and entertainment.

Worldwide first class on select airlines after completing X number of segments and free nights at a nice hotel - still earning points on the credit card(s).

DH and I have signed up for everything single thing during the working years that we traveled for business and are still reaping the rewards and collecting new ones... all with very little money!

If you don't have a job that requires you to travel, credit card points are easy to collect.

mdp_za - really great advice.

And yes, our cars are getting older and we don't plan to replace them. One of our last cars brought us to the repair shop a few too many times that DH got the "mileage king award" at the shop for nearly 400k miles! We've been out to eat twice in 2012.

So as Jaggy001 said: priorities.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:50 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
I am an airline employee and still young, I couldn't afford it otherwise. I travel with equally frugal friends and go very light on hotel accommodations and stay away from many unnecessary luxuries. To give you an example: I spent three days in Tokyo and spent only $90, including hotel.

I know my answer isn't the answer you're looking for, but it works for me.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
It can vary depending on one's situation.

When you're in college, it's very easy to travel because you can always find some where you can go to study for a semester or two and you don't even have to take time off from college. If you pick some place in Europe, then you can find cheap ways to travel while you live and go to classes there.

If you have kids, it might get too expensive to travel international so you explore the USA and Canada and maybe Mexico instead. There is plenty of traveling and things to see and do here and you can do them as a family.

Then when the kids are gone, you can travel further again. Or you can get a job that requires international travel and there are more of them than you might think. If your work requires international travel, your work will pay for it.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,313,477 times
I can afford travel because I don't have an expensive lifestyle--no kids and the only debt is a very low, manageable mortgage. Also, I drive a basic car, I don't have tv, don't have lots of tech gadgets, don't shop much for clothes and Stuff, and don't blow big bucks on weekend indulgences. My property taxes are low because I have an inexpensive condo, and my income taxes are low because I save a good chunk of money in a 403b. I often am able to connect some of my travel with job duties, so even if I don't get reimbursed for part of a trip, I can itemize on my taxes. In the end, travel is a budgeting and lifestyle priority for me.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:23 PM

385 posts, read 859,056 times
I love to travel and so does my wife, we are both semi retired, I had made investments that started when I was 17 ( not in stocks ) and it is paying off now, I also own some stock in AT&T and Verizon, my wife made good money in China and saved all of it so with what little bills we have most of our money can go to travel.
Our home here is paid for, my tax's aren't high, and with our new home in San Pedro our mortgage is only $450.00 USD a month and property tax's are only 1%, now I understand not every one is in the same boat as we are but if you want to travel, haven't any kids then you should be able to save up to travel, you may have to give up going out to eat, take out and movie going but, you must decide what is more important to you, good luck

Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I have so many places on my travel list but it seems I never have the money to really travel. I've been to a lot of places in the US, Mexico, and Canda, but those international destinations are really expensive. How do you guys manage it? Do you save for awhile, try to find the cheapest deals when you go somewhere, something else? I have a decent job yet with the cost of living and everything else I worry I'm never going to be able to afford to go the places I really want to go.
Yes, I need to save for my travel, then look for great deals, affordable hotel, and ways to eat well, try local cuisine and occasionally fix me a sandwich or eat a yogurt, cereal, fruit, snacks at the hotel room or on my way.
There are travelers that are happy just with that. And there are travelers that take 5 suitcases, sleep in best hotels, eat in 5 stars restaurants, drive taxi everywhere and actually don't enjoy anything, because they are never happy what they eat, where they sleep and what they see....
Almost everyone can afford travel, they just need to shift priorities. Instead of eating out everyday, buying the newest gadgets, and everything their heart desire - they need to make a plan how to save money and stick to it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel