U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2012, 06:32 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times
Reputation: 7586

Advertisements

hi there, I am doing a small research project on the attractiveness of North American cities as a tourist destination, and just to be impartial, I would like people from countries other than US and Canada to vote on this.

Which are the cities do you want to visit, in the order of your preference, among the following:

1 Boston
2 Chicago
3 Las Vegas
4. Los Angeles
5. Miami
6. Montreal
7. New Orleans
8. New York City
9. San Francisco
10. Toronto
11. Washington DC
12. Vancouver

If you are indifferent between two cities, please put them together separated by a slash.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,638 posts, read 40,010,157 times
Reputation: 23801
Oh my, you are missing a LOT of 'dream' destinations in NA. (Even many cities, (which are my idea of 'Nightmare' tourist destinations for NA)) Might want to change TITLE / Heading. Dream Destination does not equal CITY in most minds / priorities.

In my world travels, I DON'T consider Cities high on my list for 'dreaming', unless they are of great historical / entertainment value. i.e. something like Budapest. Cities only offer transportation hub for my 'dream-y' destinations. I prefer to travel as a 'local', seldom as 'tourist' YMMV

A couple missing 'NA cities' capable of offering Dreams.
Mexico City ?
Seattle ?
Sarasota, FL (much more historical / better than Miami),

as are many US , Canada, and Mexico cities apart from capital / commerce center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Durham, NC
2,537 posts, read 8,128,986 times
Reputation: 1624
I would suspect that the better "dream destinations" in North America for much of the rest of the world are not centered on cities. Sure, places like NYC, LA, SF, DC, Miami, Vegas, Mexico City, Montreal, Toronto & Vancouver are on many travel 'hit lists' but the better dream destinations are probably centered on some of the natural wonders in North America. Much of the rest of the world has better cities and urban environments than we have in the US with more history, etc... I'm thinking a dream destination list for North American travel would look more like this:

Grand Canyon
Alaska/Denali NP
Yellowstone NP
Rocky Mountains
Yosimite NP
California Coast
Orlando Theme Parks (not the city per se)
New England
Canadian Rockies
Copper Canyon (Mexico)
Mayan Riveria (Mexico)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 12:54 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
9,033 posts, read 8,756,751 times
Reputation: 5666
The OP's question was about which cities people from outside NA might want to visit. Any anti-urban biases among North American residents are doubly irrelevant here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 01:25 PM
 
Location: SW France
14,267 posts, read 14,151,269 times
Reputation: 27923
How about anti urban biases from non North American residents?

FWIW I like Boston, NY, NOLA and SF.

I'd like to see Washington DC but can't stand LV having been dragged there by my wife and daughter whilst living in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2012, 05:57 AM
 
Location: Durham, NC
2,537 posts, read 8,128,986 times
Reputation: 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
The OP's question was about which cities people from outside NA might want to visit. Any anti-urban biases among North American residents are doubly irrelevant here.
I rather like cities and favor urban areas so I certainly bring no anti-urban bias as a North American resident. I'm just making the point that our cities are possibly secondary to our natural wonders as dream destinations while the opposite is generally the case in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2012, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Midwest
4,628 posts, read 3,976,577 times
Reputation: 6623
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I would suspect that the better "dream destinations" in North America for much of the rest of the world are not centered on cities. Sure, places like NYC, LA, SF, DC, Miami, Vegas, Mexico City, Montreal, Toronto & Vancouver are on many travel 'hit lists' but the better dream destinations are probably centered on some of the natural wonders in North America. Much of the rest of the world has better cities and urban environments than we have in the US with more history, etc... I'm thinking a dream destination list for North American travel would look more like this:

Grand Canyon
Alaska/Denali NP
Yellowstone NP
Rocky Mountains
Yosimite NP
California Coast
Orlando Theme Parks (not the city per se)
New England
Canadian Rockies
Copper Canyon (Mexico)
Mayan Riveria (Mexico)
+1...

My dream locations are the Columbia River Valley Gorge, Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, Kenai Fjords, and the Pasayten Wilderness in Washington.

As for the urban areas I want to visit: Montreal, Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, LA, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Philly, NYC, and Boston...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 07:54 AM
 
9,212 posts, read 9,286,664 times
Reputation: 28880
My dream destinations in North America:

1. The Grand Canyon NP in AZ.
2. Yellowstone NP in WY
3. Mesa Verde NP in CO
4. Arches NP in UT
5. Disney World in FL
6. The city of San Francisco in CA
7. The Blue Ridge Parkway including Shenandoah and the Smoky Mountains NP in VA and NC.
8. The Chichen Itza pyramids near Cancun, Mexico.
9. Waterton Glacier National Park in the United States and Canada.
10. The Oregon Coast from Astoria, OR south to around Florence, OR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 10:28 AM
 
55 posts, read 119,711 times
Reputation: 68
My dream destinations include places I've been (Dallas, Atlanta, Tucson, Orange County, Denver, Cheyenne, and Rocky Mountains) as well as places I want to see

1- Los Angeles(close to OC where I lived a long time ago when I was a toddler, never been there though)
2- New York City
3- Miami
4- Chicago
5- Orlando
6- Grand Canyon
7- Las Vegas
8- Hawaii
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 12:26 PM
 
9,967 posts, read 14,628,835 times
Reputation: 9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
hi there, I am doing a small research project on the attractiveness of North American cities as a tourist destination, and just to be impartial, I would like people from countries other than US and Canada to vote on this.

Which are the cities do you want to visit, in the order of your preference, among the following:

1 Boston
2 Chicago
3 Las Vegas
4. Los Angeles
5. Miami
6. Montreal
7. New Orleans
8. New York City
9. San Francisco
10. Toronto
11. Washington DC
12. Vancouver

If you are indifferent between two cities, please put them together separated by a slash.

Thanks!
Of those cities...I enjoy visiting all of them except for Las Vegas.

1-Montreal; 2-New Orleans; 3-New York; 4-Toronto; 5-Boston; 6-Los Angeles; 7-Chicago; 8-DC; 9-Miami; 10-San Francisco; 11-Vancouver; 12-Las Vegas;

San Francisco and Vancouver are ranked lower, just because I've been to them so many times that they're less exciting for me--but I still love both those cities.

Though for North American cities, I'd probably be more excited for a trip to Mexico City or Guadalajara or some smaller colonial cities like Guanajuato.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top