U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:59 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,500,216 times

Advertisements

We belong to the San Diego Zoo (live here) but I've not been going much lately. I've got a toddler and its just too busy there during the summer, plus there is ALOT of traffic in the zoo itself (double decker tour buses, carts for the handicapped, trucks resupplying all the food and gift carts and stores). It's just not safe to let my daughter roam and explore...

We also go to Hawaii several times a year so I've got a membership to the Honolulu Zoo. We stay on Waikiki so it's a great place to let my daughter get her wiggle on. They have great open areas where she can run, a playground, petting zoo, lots of shade.... And I think they have a nice selection of animals.

I've been to both Como and the "new zoo" in Minnesota and one in Phoenix.

My husband had a chance to got to the Singapore Zoo, said it was wonderful....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 09:14 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,796 times
As adults we have been members at different zoos, and have been to three this summer:
Brookfield Zoo in the burbs of Chicago
Milwaukee County Zoo
Los Angeles Zoo

We also have frequented the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal park.

I've been to a few other zoos, but nothing particularly memorable.

I have noticeed that as these zoo renovate, they are making the areas fo the animals much nicer, such as the bison area at Brookfield, the gorilla and wolf areas in Milwaukee, and the elephants in LA.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,801,772 times
London Zoo - not bad, a bit dated
Minnesota Zoo - getting better with the new director making changes and spending money
Denver Zoo - really pretty good
Audubon Zoo
Darjeeling Zoo - absolutely the worst place ever. The animal "enclosures" were basically cages with concrete floors and metal bars. Nothing at all in the cages for them to climb on or lie on or do anything except pace or sleep. I was there 30 years ago and I truly hope it has closed by now.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:46 AM

51,897 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Been to a few....most recently the Omaha Zoo.

If you haven't gone and get the chance it's widely considered top 3 in the United States and I would agree with this.

P.S. If you get a season pass to your local zoo, you generally get 1/2 off at most other zoos.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:57 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,424,156 times
Buffalo Zoo
Rochester Zoo
Philly Zoo
Como Zoo
Phoenix Zoo
World Wildlife Zoo (phoenix)
Albuquerque Zoo
Denver Zoo
Memphis Zoo

Have also been to places like the lion safari in ontario and other such places throughout the nation as well as some animal specific preserves and little zoos like animal land in PA

the one that suprised me was Memphis - my wife is a panda freak so we had to stop there .... we got there about 90 minutes before close and they didn't charge us to get in ... they also didn't have anyone at the panda exhibit so no charge there either ...... was pretty empty so we were able to spend a good time at the exhibit and although the pandas are behind glass you can get real close to them - we saw them feeding and playing a bit - was neat

my wife has been to the one in SD and it sounds like it's just flooded with people and they just push you through the panda exhibit - she definitely enjoyed this one more

the rest of the zoo seemed really solid as well

Memphis took me a bit by surprise

Old 08-16-2012, 11:22 AM

8,246 posts, read 11,107,651 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Jacksonville (FL) Zoo, which is generally listed among the top ten in the country and is easily on a par with San Diego. Plus you can access it by boat!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:28 AM

5,091 posts, read 8,065,240 times
Zoos I've visited over the course of my life include:

In the US
- San Diego Zoo (California)
- Cincinnati Zoo (Ohio)
- Oregon Zoo (Portland Oregon)
- Honolulu Zoo (Hawaii)

International
- Dusit Zoo (Bangkok (Dusit district) Thailand)
- Safari World (Bangkok (Minburi district) Thailand)

Old 08-16-2012, 12:10 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,911,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
San Diego Zoo
Denver Zoo
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo- Colorado Springs. And there is a nice drive from the zoo halfway up Cheyenne Mountain to the Will Rogers Shrine. A beautiful shrine with a great view of Colorado Springs and Denver!
I've been to these three. Maybe others, but none come to mind.

Many MANY years ago I was at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo with my then-boyfriend (we were teens, maybe we even skipped school, I don't remember) on a very quiet day.
We stopped at a small enclosure which contained a young male lion. Back in those days it was just this barred cage with no moat or anything. My boyfriend played with the lion, who batted at him with his huge paws, for quite some time. Then we turned to leave and the lion turned to his food, and out came the claws, which he had kept retracted while playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We have visited zoos in Denver, North Carolina and Knoxville. I felt sorry for the animals in the Knoxville Zoo because I-40 was so close I felt the animals were stressed by the noise. Denver was so long ago that I just remember the buffalo and the peacocks. My daughter was a baby when we visited the Denver Zoo and she is 46 now.
I once saw a baby bison born at the Denver Zoo. The other bison made a ring around the mother.
Another time we went to a concert at City Park, which is adjacent to the Denver Zoo. There were Scottish pipes playing. The wolves howled and howled.
Quote:
I am so proud of the North Carolina Zoo. Some complain that they cannot see enough animals, but I like it that you only see the animals when they want you to see them. I don't want my enjoyment to be at the expense of the animals. You can take a nice hike and pretend to be in the jungle or mountains or desert. It is not just about animals; it is an experience.
That sounds like my kind of zoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Jacksonville (FL) Zoo, which is generally listed among the top ten in the country and is easily on a par with San Diego. Plus you can access it by boat!
Maybe some day we'll take the boat over.
But I don't much go to zoos anymore. I'm not a PETA person or anything, but zoos tend to make me sad.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:28 PM

607 posts, read 1,059,411 times
I usually enjoy zoos. My favorites are the ones are the Cleveland Metropark Zoo in Ohio and Brookfield Zoo outside of Chicago. There were only a few times I found zoos to be depressing and they were all abroad - in Madrid, Spain and Hangzhou, China.

I live in DC now but still haven't made it to the national zoo. I'm hoping to sometime this weekend b/c it's supposed to be nice out!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:43 PM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
As a child I visited the Biblical Zoo in Jerusalem, Israel. I also visited other zoos in countries (including the USA) as a child but I can't remember at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel