U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:53 PM

38,877 posts, read 20,174,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Bronx Zoo
Denver Zoo
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
Memphis Zoo
San Diego Zoo...found this zoo way over rated imo
Audubon Zoo New Orleans...my favorite
I haven't been to the San Diego zoo since I was a child but want to visit it again. Why do you say it's overrated? Just curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,504,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I haven't been to the San Diego zoo since I was a child but want to visit it again. Why do you say it's overrated? Just curious
I can't speak to the OP reasons for saying the SD Zoo is overrated.

We're members there, it's a very nice zoo with a wide variety of animals - some of which you can't see at many other zoo (Pandas!). They also have the only Pangolin in a North American Zoo - it's ony brought out in the mornings in the Children's Zoo. Plus it's located inside Balboa Park..

However, it can get to be really, really crowded. My 2yo gets bowled over in the plaground area of the children's zoo and there are so many kids in the patting zoo that the animals are pretty much "over it" pretty early and retreat to their safety zone.

Some people aren't expecting it to have so many hills. The number of shops, kiosks, restaurants and the resupply carts, trucks, employees going back and forth can be a bit much. Not to mention that they have double decker tour buses going thru the zoo.... I've got a 2yo and she can't see much from the stroller (and why would I want to confine her to it all day anyway) but it's often not safe to let her out on her own due to the amount to "traffic"

Old 08-17-2012, 10:06 AM

634 posts, read 1,499,458 times
Frankfurt ( Germany ) Zoo - bad :-(
Miami Metro Zoo - nice :-)

Old 08-17-2012, 10:44 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Buffalo Zoo
Rochester Zoo
Philly Zoo
Como Zoo
Phoenix Zoo
World Wildlife Zoo (phoenix)
Albuquerque Zoo
Denver Zoo
Memphis Zoo

Have also been to places like the lion safari in ontario and other such places throughout the nation as well as some animal specific preserves and little zoos like animal land in PA

the one that suprised me was Memphis - my wife is a panda freak so we had to stop there .... we got there about 90 minutes before close and they didn't charge us to get in ... they also didn't have anyone at the panda exhibit so no charge there either ...... was pretty empty so we were able to spend a good time at the exhibit and although the pandas are behind glass you can get real close to them - we saw them feeding and playing a bit - was neat

my wife has been to the one in SD and it sounds like it's just flooded with people and they just push you through the panda exhibit - she definitely enjoyed this one more

the rest of the zoo seemed really solid as well

Memphis took me a bit by surprise
We enjoyed Memphis as well....it was a nice suprise Did see the Pandas too

Old 08-17-2012, 10:48 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
After all the hype I've heard for years & years it was a major disappointment, I much prefer Audubon in New Orleans or even Memphis.
Way over crowded, to much hustle and bustle, too hilly for my liking and many animals were not out. Glad I did get too see it and scratch it off my list but I would not return.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:38 PM

14,261 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Honestly. I thought that the San Diego Zoo was an ABOVE AVERAGE botanical park.

I thought that the Toronto Zoo was one of the better cold weather zoos.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:03 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times
Not very many.

San Diego, very overrated, and difficult and expensive, and too big, not a pleasant day at all.

St. Louis, free admission, free parking, was once the world's largest zoo. Still a wonderful place to spend a day.

Topeka, Kansas, a lovely little zoo. All the important big animals, but small and cozy, perfect for small children who would get cranky in a big zoo.

Milwaukee, average.

Kansas City, below average. Same for New Orleans, Seattle

Granby, Quebec, I've heard that it is very nice, but I haven't been there since 1960.

Ordinarily, I would not go to a zoo unless I was spending the day with someone who wanted to go.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:11 AM

16,482 posts, read 21,095,078 times
LA Zoo
San Diego Zoo (the one I like the most)
Honolulu Zoo

Old 08-18-2012, 04:28 PM

39,552 posts, read 47,768,430 times
Taronga Zoo Sydney Australia
San Diego Zoo
Los Angeles Zoo
Family re-union

Old 08-18-2012, 05:46 PM

16,528 posts, read 20,983,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Family re-union
Best post of the day! I have one of those coming up soon! Uffda!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel