U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:28 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,201,373 times

Advertisements

What zoos have you been to? Have any stood out as particularly noteworthy? I realize zoos can be a controversial topic: some people value them as animal museums, breeding and rehabilitation sites, educational centers, etc., whereas other people see them as costly and inhumane (and some people consider zoos to be "concentration camps for animals").

Regardless of your position on the debate, what zoos have you been to, and which ones have stood out? Do you actively try to visit or avoid zoos? Are they travel destinations for you?

List of zoos in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of zoos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (around the world)

I haven't been to many zoos in my life, but did visit a couple this summer. Though I have mixed feelings about zoos in general, I do marvel at being able to see animals that I may never see in the wild, including animals that are not very well known in North America, and animals that are endangered or are on the verge of extinction.

I'm not sure I can recall all of the zoos I've been to, as a couple have surely faded with childhood memories, but here's what I can recall:

San Francisco Zoo
Oakland Zoo
San Diego Zoo
San Antonio Zoo
Busch Gardens
Milwaukee Zoo
Columbus Zoo
Buffalo Zoo
Calgary Zoo
Hamburg Zoo
Madrid Zoo

I don't really seek zoos out when I travel, though there are a couple that I specifically put on past travel agendas (Hamburg Zoo and San Diego Zoo). Of the handful of zoos I've visited, the San Diego Zoo seemed to be the most expansive and accommodating to animal habitat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 PM

2,907 posts, read 4,927,290 times
San Francisco Zoo
Oakland Zoo
San Diego Zoo
San Antonio Zoo
LA Zoo
Zoo Atlanta
Bronx Zoo
Central Park Zoo
Cleveland Zoo
National Zoo (Washington DC Zoo)
Denver Zoo
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (Colorado Springs Zoo)
Austin Zoo and Animal Sanctuary

Arguably, the San Diego Zoo in known as the best zoo in the country; I would agree.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 PM

38,894 posts, read 20,179,975 times
Although I've been to the LA and San Diego zoos when I was a child, I barely remember those zoos. I will eventually make my way down to San Diego as I want to compare it with the Toronto Zoo (Which I just went to last month)

Old 08-15-2012, 08:26 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,674,292 times
For some reason, the Tiergarten in Nurnberg, Germany stands out. It was over 40 years ago and it was the first zoo I ever went to where the animals were not caged.

The worst was probably the old New Orleans zoo in Audubon Park. It was dreadful.

Other than those:

Dallas, TX
Ft. Worth, TX
Gainesville, TX ( a very nice little zoo).
Tulsa, OK
San Diego
Several drive through animal parks

I'm not really much of a zoo person, though.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,638 posts, read 40,010,157 times
I prefer Singapore Zoo (night safari there is nice too).

I'm sure there are equal or better.

For USA I have enjoyed;

San Diego
Colorado Springs.
Portland, OR
Tacoma,
Seattle

(But I am not a Zoo buff, either... But do appreciate 'natural habitat' focus in may urban zoo's. I had a nice visit to my backyard by a HUGE bear a couple weeks ago. I am in the Bigfoot 'protection' region of USA. Bobcats, cougars very frequent guests).

Old 08-15-2012, 09:41 PM

16,531 posts, read 20,989,157 times
Henry Doorly Zoo- Omaha
San Diego Zoo
Denver Zoo
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo- Colorado Springs. And there is a nice drive from the zoo halfway up Cheyenne Mountain to the Will Rogers Shrine. A beautiful shrine with a great view of Colorado Springs and Denver!

Old 08-16-2012, 06:33 AM

32,103 posts, read 33,010,060 times
As an adult I have visited the Bronx Zoo (recommended), the Central Park Zoo (only good for children) and Los Angeles Zoo (also for adults).

Old 08-16-2012, 08:19 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,905,013 times
Bronx Zoo
Denver Zoo
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
Memphis Zoo
San Diego Zoo...found this zoo way over rated imo
Audubon Zoo New Orleans...my favorite

Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,899,724 times
We have visited zoos in Denver, North Carolina and Knoxville. I felt sorry for the animals in the Knoxville Zoo because I-40 was so close I felt the animals were stressed by the noise. Denver was so long ago that I just remember the buffalo and the peacocks. My daughter was a baby when we visited the Denver Zoo and she is 46 now.

I am so proud of the North Carolina Zoo. Some complain that they cannot see enough animals, but I like it that you only see the animals when they want you to see them. I don't want my enjoyment to be at the expense of the animals. You can take a nice hike and pretend to be in the jungle or mountains or desert. It is not just about animals; it is an experience.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,638 posts, read 40,010,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
...I felt sorry for the animals in the Knoxville Zoo because I-40 was so close I felt the animals were stressed by the noise. ....
Bet that is TRUE animals are probably not keen on that irregular niose. I remember when I moved to town after 18 yrs in the country... I wore out the carpet every car that passed, looking to who was driving by (finally I realized I was on a major highway)...

On the farm and ranch, it was usually just the mailman and occasionally a salesman that went by. At night you could tell which neighbor (2+ miles away) had gone to town. Traffic stress would be deadly for an animal. (as it has been for many)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel