U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:42 AM

37,997 posts, read 55,785,174 times

Advertisements

Adventure! Comfort just to extend. And status ? - only for those who want to impress ....
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 10:02 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,502,602 times
I'd lean more on the side of adventure but my 2 yo and husband demand more "comfort". An uncomfortable baby makes everyone unhppy and my husband , after doing 20 yrs in the Marines Corps and a lot of "uncomfortable travel" demands a nicer hotel with room service, posh lobby, etc..

Old 08-24-2012, 11:17 AM

6,936 posts, read 7,260,520 times
When I was younger, it was adventure. As I've gotten older ... it's comfort. Never for status. Been there, done that. Not something I place value on.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:12 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,782,260 times
To the OP:

Comfort - always, spent enough time sleeping on bare ground in Viet Nam. My idea of roughing it is if the shower only has one outlet and no towel warmers..

Adventure - you might want to expand that definition to include adventures of the mind/intellect.

Adventure as in physical stuff - not for this banged up, old disabled Marine - old creaky bones don't like it. Now if one expands the definition to encompass adventures of the mind - definitely yes.

Visit the Etruscan hill towns in Tuscany and look at the indoor plumbing - constructed 4,000 years ago. (Just a heads up - the denizens of VERY earlier civilizations in the Middle East had it way before the Etruscans.) Go figure, Europe was still struggling with common sense water supply and sewage management in the 19th century.

Ponder that and while you're at it, go look at the Romans water infrastructure, especially the water impervious concrete they developed BCE. Now that is what I call my kind of "adventure".

Status - sorry, that one totally eludes my comprehension. Does one wear a tag showing where they've been? Do they get preferential treatment in restaurants or better seats at the concert? Am I (lowly, modest world traveler that I am) supposed to genuflect or "Ooh and Aahh" in the presence of such folks? (I confess - I'm not very good at oohing and aahhing, just not my style.)

Sorry, but traveling/status seems to me to be an idiocy on the level of "reality TV". JMO

Old 08-25-2012, 02:00 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,260,566 times
Sometimes it is adventure, because I do like to explore new places; but I always want comfort. I have no desire to travel somewhere to try to impress anyone. I am not sharing a bathroom, I want to know what foods I am eating, and I am always aware of my surroundings.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:29 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,922,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Adventure and going off the beaten path. Somewhere with millions of tourists is less thrilling for me -- the US is exempt from the tourist rule, as there are tourists everywhere.
You'd be surprised. It *is* possible to go off the beaten path in the US, and walk a beach or hike a path alone. Getting around our wide-open spaces can be tricky though.

All this talk of weighing the different qualities of travel wakes me up to the fact that each of my trips can be so different. I did not couch surf during my trip to Europe last December. It was during the holiday season plus there were six of us for all but the first week we were gone. Maybe I'll try couch surfing again--THAT can be adventurous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel