Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:09 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
This is probably the only logical reason for which I can see why this rule is implemented. As for bracing for impact or in the event of a crash, I really dont see how moving your seatback up 4" and bending over is going to save you from an airplane slamming into something at a few hundred miles per hour.
Worked pretty good for that tour group exploring the Hudson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 01:25 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
On takeoff during one flight - the seat occupied by a passenger a few rows ahead of me - broke - the seat actually became separated from the fuselage and shifted backwards.

The passenger was Ok - but he could have suffered a back injury.

I imagine the rule is to keep the seats in a stable position during the most critical portions of the flight - whether they are in good condition or not.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:28 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Worked pretty good for that tour group exploring the Hudson
That plane didnt crash. It made a perfect water landing that was probably smoother than a runway landing!

Old 08-20-2012, 01:34 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,653 times
Quote:

A quesiton you should ask is, why do our cell phones and everrything electronic be turned completely off? They now issue IPADS to pilots..........
Because they can not call out every device that may have a transmitter/receiver in them and the pilots will hear the interference in their headphones from these radio waves. That is what my pilot friend told me.

I think you would have a pretty bad day if the pilot misheard the tower instructions to NOT taxi on to runway xyz because some jacka$$ didn't want to turn off their device and you get a landing plane on top of you.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
I really dont see how moving your seatback up 4" and bending over is going to save you from an airplane slamming into something at a few hundred miles per hour.
Which is a really good reason why you should pay attention to those who tell you to place your seat in an upright position and bend over in the brace position which research over the last 30 years has shown that if a crash is at all survivable your chances are increased by doing as directed.
In any event, you are trying to do three basic things by bracing. Get your torso as low as possible to reduce the jackknife effect at impact; stop yourself from flying forward and hitting the seat or other parts of the aircraft interior; and preventing injury to your legs and ankles that will hinder your escape from the aircraft.
How to survive a plane crash - Telegraph

Injury to the head is caused by the head falling back and then smashing forwards into the seat in front. Even in the brace position this will happen, but the force of the impact is cushioned a little by the seat in front of you. One thing to beware of: If the seat in front has a fold-back tray (most do), position yourself so you do not smash into the plastic catch that sticks out. You also risk head injury from flying objects, another reason to adopt the correct brace position and cover your head with your hands. If you can, add additional protection for your head – a pillow or coat, for example; this will also give you some protection if the person next to you smashes sideways into your head. Be sure that you have removed any dentures, pencils or other sharp objects from around your person. Also be sure to hold the brace position until the plane has come to a standstill – often there will be additional impacts after the initial one.
How to survive an air crash: Survive a plane crash, free article by Survival Expert James Mandeville

Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
"There are two main reasons why flight attendants pester people to keep those seats up—to keep injuries to a minimum during a crash and to clear the maximum amount of space for a quick exit."

Your plane crashes your pretty much dead so it is a worthless exercise IMO. Gotta follow rules though. Flying is not a right.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:59 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
That plane didnt crash. It made a perfect water landing that was probably smoother than a runway landing!
Well I doubt any of em were worrying if their seats were up in the proper position or not at the time. Probably scared outta their minds. I would have been. Key is in a plane crash to be at the door and right before the plane hits jump out and up as far as you can. Only way to survive. lol

Old 08-20-2012, 02:04 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Reclined seats:
1- Restrict movement (of passengers behind) in case of an emergency
2- Leave less room (for passenger behind) in case of an abrupt braking
3- Do not provide good whiplash protection to the occupant

Just a few common sense concerns.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:25 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
It is safest position for an emergency situation (rather than lying backward).

Old 08-20-2012, 02:38 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
Because they can not call out every device that may have a transmitter/receiver in them and the pilots will hear the interference in their headphones from these radio waves. That is what my pilot friend told me.

I think you would have a pretty bad day if the pilot misheard the tower instructions to NOT taxi on to runway xyz because some jacka$$ didn't want to turn off their device and you get a landing plane on top of you.
This is partly, I would even say mildly true but most, if not all, speakers and electronic equipment on most aircraft are designed to be resistant to HERF (High Energy Radio Frequency). There are still some older aircraft whose cockpit speakers are susceptible to cell phone noise. The A300/A310 is one whose speakers just love to amplify every stray radio frequency signal. Despite that, you have to be very close to the cockpit (pretty much inside of it) before you'll have that effect.

Believe it or not, one of the main reasons you're not allowed to use your phone in the air is an FCC-regulation more than an FAA regulation. Because you're way up high in the sky, your phone can literally be bouncing signals off hundreds of towers at a time and the FCC doesn't like that.

As far as the remainder of the electronic devices, there is no precedent to suggest any of them are capable of causing harm to an aircraft. In fact, it's not even ILLEGAL to use them. The FAA and the FCC have no restrictions against using electronic devices below 10,000 feet. The restrictions come strictly from the airline carrier who are allowed to make up rules of their own.

Cell Phones on Airplanes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel