Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:16 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,497,934 times

Advertisements

Can anyone who has direct knowledge of the rule please answer?

I never understood this strict rule. Is it for safety in the event of a crash? If so, what difference is it going to make given the seatback can only move a few inches? I've seen flight attendents aggressively enforce this rule and have even threatened to have passengers removed (if its prior to take off), or arrested (if prior to landing). If there's a logical reason for strictly enforcing this rule then I would like to know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,905,903 times
Let me google that for you

Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 PM

46,162 posts, read 26,822,776 times
Don't have direct knowledge, however, the seatback in the upright position may have the best stability at that point, upright.

When it is not in the upright position, it maybe a weaker point.

A quesiton you should ask is, why do our cell phones and everrything electronic be turned completely off? They now issue IPADS to pilots..........

Old 08-20-2012, 01:33 PM

68,271 posts, read 53,985,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
A quesiton you should ask is, why do our cell phones and everrything electronic be turned completely off? They now issue IPADS to pilots..........
Well, for cell phones, if it keeps you from having to listen to one side of an incredibly boring, meaningless conversation. I say

Old 08-20-2012, 01:52 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,058,689 times
Why do airline seats have to be in an upright position during takeoff? | Need to Know | Air & Space Magazine

Old 08-20-2012, 01:53 PM

44,978 posts, read 26,124,187 times
because they said so and its their plane.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:59 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,738,398 times
Probably so the people behind you can get out of THEIR seats after an emergency landing.

Might also be because you are less likely to slide out of your seatbelt (either toward the floor or toward the ceiling) if you are sitting bolt upright, than if you are leaning back.

Takeoff and landing is when most emergencies occur.

And during emergencies, airplanes can go thru some VERY strange maneuvers (such as rolling completely over, or pointing straight up or straight down), that can put strange forces on passengers. You can slide right out from under your seat belt.

That's why, if an impact or emergency landing is imminent, the stewardesses might ask everyone to make sure their seat belts are fastened and then bend forward to put their heads between their legs. No way will you get thrown out of your seat if you're doing that.

Might also be so that, if the plane gets slammed to a stop in an emergency landing and the passengers all whip forward (held by their seat belts), they don't break their necks by hitting their foreheads against a leaned-back seat in front of them.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:03 PM

68,271 posts, read 53,985,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
IPADS are a known quantity, the innumerable possibilities of what the public might carry on not so much.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:06 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,497,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Probably so the people behind you can get out of THEIR seats after an emergency landing.

Might also be because you are less likely to slide out of your seatbelt (either toward the floor or toward the ceiling) if you are sitting bolt upright, than if you are leaning back.

Takeoff and landing is when most emergencies occur.

And during emergencies, airplanes can go thru some VERY strange maneuvers (such as rolling completely over, or pointing straight up or straight down), that can put strange forces on passengers. You can slide right out from under your seat belt.

That's why, if an impact or emergency landing is imminent, the stewardesses might ask everyone to make sure their seat belts are fastened and then bend forward to put their heads between their legs. No way will you get thrown out of your seat if you're doing that.

Might also be so that, if the plane gets slammed to a stop in an emergency landing and the passengers all whip forward (held by their seat belts), they don't break their necks by hitting their foreheads against a leaned-back seat in front of them.
This is probably the only logical reason for which I can see why this rule is implemented. As for bracing for impact or in the event of a crash, I really dont see how moving your seatback up 4" and bending over is going to save you from an airplane slamming into something at a few hundred miles per hour.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:09 PM

46,162 posts, read 26,822,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
IPADS are a known quantity, the innumerable possibilities of what the public might carry on not so much.
So I have to tune off my IPAD?

And yes I do agree with you on what maybe carried on a plane....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel